Gaining Mass with bodyweight exercises :confused:

blamehoffmanblamehoffman Regular
edited April 2012 in Life
Hey all

I am not a bodybuilder, howevere I am interested in gaining some mass on myupper body, predominantly chest, biceps, and shoulders. That being said I only have access to some dumbells and thus have my workout routine centered around the use of them and bodyweight excercises (pushups, pullups etc). I was wondering if anyonw any gays to gain mass in these particular muscle groups using little to no equipment, please share.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Darth BeaverDarth Beaver Meine Ehre heißt Treue
    edited April 2012
    For chest and shoulders do pushups lots of pushups. For biceps and shoulders do pull ups with you palms facing you, reverse that for triceps and shoulders.
  • blamehoffmanblamehoffman Regular
    edited April 2012
    Ive been told that for mass one should fail before 10 reps, i can do 15-18 chin ups on a good day, what do you reccomend?
  • Darth BeaverDarth Beaver Meine Ehre heißt Treue
    edited April 2012
    Ive been told that for mass one should fail before 10 reps, i can do 15-18 chin ups on a good day, what do you reccomend?

Put lots of fishing weights in your pockets? Tie cement blocks to your feet? Use your imagination and increase the weight your a lifting.
  • proudclod9proudclod9 Regular
    edited April 2012
    Hey all
    I was wondering if anyonw any gays to gain mass in these particular muscle groups using little to no equipment, please share.

Thanks in advance.

I was gonna troll you on that..but I forgive you.

You'll get to a certain point where mass isn't as important as flexibility and raw strength...not to mention, you have to work out all parts of your body equally.

In fact, bulk is basically useless--in my eyes--unless you're specifically looking to become a body-builder or the like.

You've got the right idea though:

Pullups: do as many as you can; real pullups--palms outward. Then when you're done, wait a minute or two, then just hang in the up position for a while, stressing the muscle as much as possible.

Pushups: start with your arms closer together--that works on explosion--then as you get tired, gradually move them outward...the closer they are together the more you work your triceps..the further out they are, the more you'll work your chest.

Curls: Do these after you're done with your pullups. Use low weight...around 10-20 pounds...high reps.

I have some more tips if you like the advice I gave ya.
    edited April 2012
    lol thanks for not trolling; I didnt notice that until you pointed it out:facepalm:

I know mass isnt really useful, i just want some for aesthetic purposes. I already do alot of pushups and pullups, including the ones you mentioned: what else you got?
    edited April 2012
    For a big chest..beat on it--literally--or get somebody else to punch you in the chest.

Doing handstands is useful for learning to control your breathing and bloodflow.

Trampoline for your calves.

The neck is probably the hardest one for me to work out. What do you do for yours?
  • SpinsterSpinster Regular
    edited April 2012
    proudclod9 wrote: »

The neck is probably the hardest one for me to work out. What do you do for yours?

Go to metal concerts? haha

Seriously, I am interested in this thread. I weigh just shy of 70kg and Im 6'3...
    edited April 2012
    I dont work my neck directly, I find that when I do other stuff (mainly pull ups) the neck gets worked; all connected i guess...
    edited April 2012
    I honestly don't headbang man. MOSH!!!

As far as putting on weight, I'm not really sure what would work..since everyone's digestion is different.

I just have a high fat diet(prolly around 300% of what you "should" have some days) and I weight about 160. haha
    edited April 2012
    I cant put on fat, I have worked at Maccas for over a year and Im still the same weight. Eat it almost everyday haha

so I think muscle is the way to go.
  • DaktologistDaktologist Global Moderator
    edited April 2012
    Spinster wrote: »
    I cant put on fat

Neither can I. I found it is due to me having an intolerance to wheat gluten. I try to avoid wheat products where possible now in the hope things will fix themselves and ill begin to gain some weight.
    edited April 2012
    I dont eat a lot of bread really though, How did you learn of your intolerance to wheat?
  • ArkansanArkansan Regular
    edited April 2012
    If you're looking to gain mass isolate individual muscles, try to work two exercises per muscle, keep a medium weight and work in the 8-10 rep range. If you're looking to gain strength I would worry less about what weight you are using in the beginning and stick to functional movements, compound movements with a medium weight till failure gives a nice balance of strength and muscular endurance. I would recommend something like this, Pull ups, push ups, squats, half Turkish get ups, sit ups, lying dumbbell bench, dumbbell shoulder press, alternating dumbbell curls and some bent over dumbbell rows. Oh and on the lying dumbbell bench keep your shoulders slightly off the floor and your feet up with knees bent and as you press up turn your core into it this way your getting your core in on the act as well. As to diet, I've never subscribed to the super high protein diets bodybuilders use, when I was into mma I just keep my diet balanced and added a simple whey protein shake after lifting and I was in phenomenal shape. My dad has a degree in sports medicine and he has preached to me for years about the dangers of too many supplements and too much protein, most of the bodybuilders I knew had high cholesterol. Any way just my 2 cents.
  • DaktologistDaktologist Global Moderator
    edited April 2012
    Spinster wrote: »
    I dont eat a lot of bread really though, How did you learn of your intolerance to wheat?

Went to the doctor for something and had blood taken, it showed up that I had gluten intolerance. Supposedly it was the reason for me having no energy to do anything or putting on weight.
    edited April 2012
    I do feel rather lethargic most of the time.