Sumpin' Is F'd Up

Darth BeaverDarth Beaver Meine Ehre heißt Treue
edited June 2012 in Help and Suggestions
The bookmark I have had since we switched domains is this: http://totseans.com/bbs/

But now when I try to open that URL I pull up this one: http://www.totseans.com/bbs/activity.php

In order to get to the forum I now hap to append the URL with forum.php like so :http://www.totseans.com/bbs/forum.php

This occurs in FF, Chrome and IE.

What's up with that Dfg?

*EDIT*

The What's New? Button at the top is now directly linked to http://www.totseans.com/bbs/activity.php

Comments

• DfgDfg Admin
    edited May 2012
    Activity stream is the new feature of VB 4.2. Instead of just pulling updates from forums, it can pull updates from groups, pm's etc. Basically it's a central console for each user and gives him updates regarding his activity on the forum. It's a bit new and might take time to get used too but overall it's a welcome addition which saves time and makes the website social network friendly.
  • RemadERemadE Global Moderator
    edited May 2012
    Reminds me of Reddit a bit :o
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited May 2012
    RemadE wrote: »
    Reminds me of Reddit a bit :o

Yep, it uses their layout in a way. Of course I can tweak it but not today. I have to leave in 45 mins and I will back after 8 hours of anal driving in this DAMNED WEATHER.
  • Darth BeaverDarth Beaver Meine Ehre heißt Treue
    edited May 2012
    It sucks, is useless, and I hate it. Make it go away.
  • edited May 2012
    I'd rather "What's New" display the same stuff as it used to - bumped threads. We can keep the Activity stream but at least put it into a new button so that we can keep the "What's New" button too! :thumbsup:
    edited May 2012
  • edited May 2012
    In the mean time, you can access the regular "whats new" page by clicking the "new posts" button just below it. :thumbsup:
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited May 2012
    Okay, I just came back. I will look into it.
  • edited May 2012
    Great, thanks Dfg. While you're at it, get the test theme implemented as I want to see it :thumbsup:
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited May 2012
    Theme added, it needs a bit more work but the credit goes to BK completely. He did an awesome job. (FANTASTIC to be honest, I love the logo and the colors)
  • edited May 2012
    I'm not sure I like the binary in the header, but the rest looks cool. Nice blues :thumbsup: Now, what about fixing that "Whats New" button so it doesn't point to the Activity page? A separate link to that page would be cool.
  • bornkillerbornkiller Administrator In your girlfriends snatch
    edited May 2012
    trx100 wrote: »
    I'm not sure I like the binary in the header, but the rest looks cool. Nice blues :thumbsup: Now, what about fixing that "Whats New" button so it doesn't point to the Activity page? A separate link to that page would be cool.

The binary is a subliminal message. It stipulates how cool Dfg really is. :thumbsup:
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited May 2012
    Adjusted some CSS. The colors should be much more controlled now. Will be tweaking more and more until it's seamless.
  • edited June 2012
    bornkiller wrote: »
    The binary is a subliminal message. It stipulates how cool Dfg really is. :thumbsup:

Ah, I was wondering what the message behind it was :D Still, I think it looks a little... out of place. Binary is something I'd personally expect to see on a tech based website, or some kind of math place. Totseans isn't focused on either of these - maybe we should be aiming for something different which represents our image and site direction? Surely we could put in something which shows the user what kind of place this is, and what we're all about? I dunno, just a suggestion!

Dfg wrote: »
    Adjusted some CSS. The colors should be much more controlled now. Will be tweaking more and more until it's seamless.

Nice, I'll check it out in a second. Good to see you're working on it :)
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited June 2012
    Ah, I was wondering what the message behind it was :D Still, I think it looks a little... out of place. Binary is something I'd personally expect to see on a tech based website, or some kind of math place. Totseans isn't focused on either of these - maybe we should be aiming for something different which represents our image and site direction? Surely we could put in something which shows the user what kind of place this is, and what we're all about? I dunno, just a suggestion!

Nice, I'll check it out in a second. Good to see you're working on it :)

Sorry, I was bogged down with IRL stuff and the stupid weather wasn't helpful :).

<3
  • edited June 2012
    Looking good so far Dfg. How about changing the tab links at the top to a different color? They're a bit clashy at the moment.

EDIT: And while I remember, change the color of hyperlinks within forum posts! They're currently the same color as the text, which makes it very difficult to tell they're actually links.
    edited June 2012
    Suggestions are a good thing bro. That's why I wanted it implemented. To get feedback and input (nohomo) from the community. :)

How would you identify this forum? Your own personal representation. Give me some idea to work with. ;)
  • edited June 2012
    Hmm, that's the thing. At the moment, I have no idea what the "direction" of totseans actually is. At the moment it seems like we have a site which just covers a whole range of topics, with nothing in particular standing out to me. I imagine that's how other people visiting the site feel as well. I still feel that we need a proper direction, a goal, something which is unique to our site and that people will be interested by. Until we figure out where we're actually heading and what our... "Mission Statement" is, I don't think people will stay very interested in this place.

Thoughts?
    edited June 2012
    Looking good so far Dfg. How about changing the tab links at the top to a different color? They're a bit clashy at the moment.
    Huh!....Do you mean the drop tabs with the yellow highlighting???
  • edited June 2012
    Huh!....Do you mean the drop tabs with the yellow highlighting???

I mean this bit. I think the links could do with being a bit lighter.

RNBGK.png
    edited June 2012
    I mean this bit. I think the links could do with being a bit lighter.RNBGK.png
    I think that was Dfgs color choice & I kinda like it because it's a lot more subtle than what I originally used plus it blends in with the color theme. :confused:
  • edited June 2012
    Ah okay. Taking a second look, it's not so bad. When I was looking at it earlier, the sunlight shining through the window was probably making it a lot harder to see properly! :D Closing the curtains brings out the true color which is much better than I previously though :thumbsup:
    edited June 2012
    I really like the test theme and da banner...
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited June 2012
    Still adjusting the colors, VB 4.2 has a new navigation links function. Okay, I moved it back to the old style. Try now.
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited June 2012
    I will be going through the new settings and optimizing the forum a bit more. New Captcha has been added.

trying to find out what Trx was saying about links text color being the same as the text. TRX CLARIFY THIS POINT!
  • edited June 2012
    Well, I dunno about you but on my screen this text looks the same color as the rest of the text. I'm guessing it's not the case on your end?
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited June 2012
    Well, I dunno about you but on my screen this text looks the same color as the rest of the text. I'm guessing it's not the case on your end?

Yep, found it.
  • edited June 2012
    Nice going. How about making the link color a nice blue, or something to match our blue theme :)
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited June 2012
    Nice going. How about making the link color a nice blue, or something to match our blue theme :)

Done and done. Thinking about the color change for the header. Did tons of modifications.
  • edited June 2012
    Well keep up the good work, it's starting to look awesome! :D When I wake up tomorrow morning, I hope to see it looking pristine - polished to perfection, attractive, and a website I'd like to start linking around the internet.
    edited June 2012
    blue, red, yellow, blue, green & red???? :rolleyes:
    edited June 2012
    I contemplated on using black as a BG but was a little uncertain of the response I would have got from the community. I like it......FTC! :thumbsup:

Not sure about the black strip BG in the header links. Always reminded me of racing stripes, A little bit 70s ya know? I also liked your original choice in link color. Was rather smooth. Flowed nicely with the header BG color. :cool:

As soon as you sort out your hap,hap,happy place with the colors I'll work on a pattern for the header BG. One that will suit the color and theme. ;)
  • edited June 2012
    Glad you're with us BK, you seem to be pushing us forward with enthusiasm :thumbsup: We'll have this place looking shiny and presentable in no time, then we'll get some new content written up and get back to advertising once more. We're bringing it back.
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited June 2012
    I contemplated on using black as a BG but was a little uncertain of the response I would have got from the community. I like it......FTC! :thumbsup:

Not sure about the black strip BG in the header links. Always reminded me of racing stripes, A little bit 70s ya know? I also liked your original choice in link color. Was rather smooth. Flowed nicely with the header BG color. :cool:

As soon as you sort out your hap,hap,happy place with the colors I'll work on a pattern for the header BG. One that will suit the color and theme. ;)
    Yeah the strip was funky. I guess I will revert it to match the color of the header. As for the link colors. I am going towards a bit purplish on that. The idea is to have 4 colors at max. That allows us (the coders/designers) ease of use. Basically, since this theme will get ported to CMS (already made some changes) it's imperative that I have all the CSS changes down.

I will write a document for the color codes so you wouldn't have any issues in future.