42 second engine swap.

SpinsterSpinster Regular
edited August 2012 in Man Cave
Looks very set up to me, you dont even see then undoing the top engine mounts and its impossible to remove the axles without removing the front wheels and some other components in the steering or suspension department. but interest video to watch none the less.

Comments

• Darth BeaverDarth Beaver Meine Ehre heißt Treue
    edited August 2012
    When I was 15 years old my Dad and a buddy had a 69 Chevelle they ran at a local half mile asphalt oval track. One Sunday during the first 4 lap heat race the motor blew. My Dad's buddy was the driver and when he got back to the pit he said, Well that's it boys we're done racing until next week. My Dad being the pit crew chief said, "Fuck that Frank let's get that car on the trailer 'cuz we're gonna race tonight". I had an older cousin who was on the pit crew who my Dad had on the trailer along with another crew member as he drove the rig down the freeway with the boys on the trailer unhooking everything needed to pull the engine. When they got to the shop the spare motor was already hanging in one of two "cherry pickers". They rolled the car off of the trailer, snatched the blown motor, dropped the spare, and my cousin and the other guy jumped back on the trailer and started bolting and connecting as my Dad once more flew down the freeway. They got back to the track ad had the car running well enough to enter the final 40 lap feature race and win. The whole process took about 2 hours from start to finish.
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited August 2012
    I don't believe it. I do agree with Beaver account though but I could be wrong. Maybe in that car the engine just sits there or as mentioned before everything was setup which explains everything else in the video.
  • angryonionangryonion Just some guy
    edited August 2012
    I say fake or at least the car had been heavily modified underneath.
    The drive axles alone would pose a huge problem swapping a motor like that,I also didn't any emission equipment.Any early 80's car had more crap on the top of the engine than you could imagine.
  • SpinsterSpinster Regular
    edited August 2012
    edited August 2012
    And here is the real mechanics doing it :)
  • TheGreenDoctorTheGreenDoctor Regular
    edited August 2012
    The first thing this thread made me think of was this
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited August 2012
    Spinster wrote: »
    And here is the real mechanics doing it :)
    Makes you wonder how easy it would be to steal an engine.
    The first thing this thread made me think of was this

Actually saw Pakistani Army do the same thing way back.
  • bornkillerbornkiller Administrator In your girlfriends snatch
    edited August 2012
    Looks very set up to me, you dont even see then undoing the top engine mounts and its impossible to remove the axles without removing the front wheels and some other components in the steering or suspension department. but interest video to watch none the less.
    Hmmm....I haven't worked on one of those models but have worked on the XRi and I say BS as well. However! The CVs could've been cut & a slide sleeve inserted for the task @ hand. After all they weren't exactly doing 100ks to the line....:confused:
    edited August 2012
    I think the most impressive thing I ever did was convert my car to manual. Took my 8 hours by myself, that was removing trans, changing pedal box, installing flywheel clutch gear box and tail shaft, modifying exhaust and wiring the reverse switch and speed sender. All done on axle stands too :)
    edited August 2012
    I think the most impressive thing I ever did was convert my car to manual. Took my 8 hours by myself, that was removing trans, changing pedal box, installing flywheel clutch gear box and tail shaft, modifying exhaust and wiring the reverse switch and speed sender. All done on axle stands too :)
    Good move to get rid of that 700r. Commys suit a manual box. :thumbsup:
    edited August 2012
    lol its not that old!!! 4L60e, same as what the corvettes have. Dont ask witch one though lol Just sole the trans the other day but the buyer wont contact me, It has only been 2 days but I would have expected some kind of a reply by now. If he doesn't reply by Sunday its getting resisted.

An yeh love my 5 speed!

EDIT: I had a reply from them a few hours ago :rolleyes:
    edited August 2012
    lol its not that old!!! 4L60e, same as what the corvettes have. Dont ask witch one though lol Just sole the trans the other day but the buyer wont contact me, It has only been 2 days but I would have expected some kind of a reply by now. If he doesn't reply by Sunday its getting resisted.

An yeh love my 5 speed!

EDIT: I had a reply from them a few hours ago :rolleyes:
    Ohhh....I thought you had a vn/p or sumtn. sorry brah. :(