Bioshock Infinte

ArkansanArkansan Regular
edited April 2013 in Spurious Generalities
Buy this game. Steal it, whatever but come into possession of this game. I bought it about a week ago and am well into my second play through. I loved the first game in the series but skipped the second for no particular reason, this game however is just fucking phenomenal. Great story line, great graphics, great game play, the whole package.

Set in 1912 you play Booker DeWitt a washed up army veteran and former Pinkerton "detective" who is tasked with retrieving a young girl named Elizabeth from Colombia, a floating experiment in American exceptionalism gone awry, in return for the absolution of old debts. Colombia is a weird fusion of steam-punk technology, religious fanaticism, social and racial elitism, and working class angst that comes together in one of the most engaging settings I have seen in a video game. I would go further but I don't want to give anything away.

The game play is a refreshing break from standard shooter fair, besides an impressive array of conventional guns you come across an assortment of Vigors, tonics that confer all sorts of useful powers, some of which can be combined for more potent effects. This whole Vigor angle adds a bit more strategic depth and since they require a finite resource called Salt to be used there is a resource management aspect as well. Combat in general is a fast paced affair that will require you to be on your toes, particularly on the games harder settings.

I have to say though that the biggest draw for me is the atmosphere, the game just really has a feeling all of its own. The colors and architecture feel like an idealized version of turn of the century America in the upper levels of the city, while the lower levels look like a grimy industrial hell. There are also some weird, but fitting clashes with the modern world that hint at latter elements of the games story, such as a barber shop quartet singing The Beach Boys "God Only Knows".

In short this game is the first game in a long time to have me like a fucking crack addict.

Comments

• DfgDfg Admin
    edited April 2013
    Never played it (seems like my catch phrase) but did read some reviews. I guess I will take your word for it and download the game (steal). I do recall reading about the story that it was inspired by some Anime or something.