Was Leary a positive or negative influence?

CaesarCaesar Regular
edited July 2010 in Spurious Generalities
It seems that Timothy Leary gets somewhat mixed opinions, so I am curious about what people here think of him.

On one hand he could be seen as one of the reason psychedelics are available to anybody born after (or during) the 60's at all. It could be said that it was only a matter of time before the government cracked down on it, and at least Leary gave the psychedelics the momentum and mass usage needed for them to continue to be a cultural phenomenon long after they were made illegal.

On the other hand he could have been one of the reasons we are not living in a psychedelic society right now. If the drugs were researched under the public radar then implemented without the public hysteria, they may have been legalised and the government may not have had all the pretext to start the war on drugs in the first place.

He was obviously not the only factor, but he was undeniably one of the most public. It seems that he could have either been a hero, or somebody who set back human culture at least 40 years. Did he do harm or good to culture at large?

Comments

• edited July 2010
    I really resent Osmond and leary for abusing LSD. I think Hoffman had excellent ideas about it, as did many people, which were basically destroyed by their various experiments.
  • ImaginariumImaginarium Regular
    edited July 2010
    It's far too complicated to make any reasonable statement about it, I think.
  • VickyVicky Regular
    edited July 2010
    After reading the electric kool-aid acid test, I think he was the starting gun but it snowballed way beyond his control, so he was just a figurehead. Overall though I'd say he advocated irresponsible use of acid, and by doing this encouraged a government clampdown. I'd recommend reading the Electric Kool-Aid Acid Test though, it's pretty awesome.
  • parachristian teenagerparachristian teenager Semo-Regulars
    edited July 2010
    He was an egotistical crackpot and a snitch.
  • FrYFrY Regular
    edited July 2010
    Well first think how you would have handled the situation.

Also, I would bet my bottom dollar that the ole Gov't Cheese would never have used it in an enlightening way. Look at MK Ultra.

I am on the fence about it I thinnk its great so many people were able to try it and it likely spouted various ideas that are used today, but the social stigma created about it is outragous on a good day.