Software Defined Radio

DaktologistDaktologist Global Moderator
edited December 2013 in Tech & Games
After seeing an advert for a cheap USB based TV tuner which could be easily modded into a wideband radio receiver, I decided to spend $30 and get one. I was not disappointed.

It is based on the RTL2832 chipset found in some cheap DVB-T TV tuners and can technically cover from DC up to a few GHz making it ideal for receiving everything from AM radio, Shortwave, FM radio, Police, Aircraft and Cellphones to name a few as well as receive TV. Basically if its a radio signal chances are you can listen in or decode the signal.

Some however will not receive shortwave out of the box but the mod is easy enough to do if you can solder a single wire to one of the pins on the RTL2832. Easy said than done due to the size of the chip and pins on the thing. I ended up soldering the wire to the capacitor connected to that pin elsewhere on the board and can now receive the full range of radio spectrum below 24 MHz including AM Radio. I ended up getting the Rafael Micro R820T USB tuner as it has the largest frequency range compared to others based on the RTL2832 chipset.

More info here
http://www.rtl-sdr.com/about-rtl-sdr/

rtlsdr_QS_FSC_USB_DVB-T.jpg

Comments

• DfgDfg Admin
    edited August 2013
    After seeing an advert for a cheap USB based TV tuner which could be easily modded into a wideband radio receiver, I decided to spend $30 and get one. I was not disappointed.

It is based on the RTL2832 chipset found in some cheap DVB-T TV tuners and can technically cover from DC up to a few GHz making it ideal for receiving everything from AM radio, Shortwave, FM radio, Police, Aircraft and Cellphones to name a few as well as receive TV. Basically if its a radio signal chances are you can listen in or decode the signal.

Some however will not receive shortwave out of the box but the mod is easy enough to do if you can solder a single wire to one of the pins on the RTL2832. Easy said than done due to the size of the chip and pins on the thing. I ended up soldering the wire to the capacitor connected to that pin elsewhere on the board and can now receive the full range of radio spectrum below 24 MHz including AM Radio. I ended up getting the Rafael Micro R820T USB tuner as it has the largest frequency range compared to others based on the RTL2832 chipset.

More info here
    http://www.rtl-sdr.com/about-rtl-sdr/

rtlsdr_QS_FSC_USB_DVB-T.jpg

So basically this would work with any USB TV Turner card? I am quite curious to try this :D
  • DaktologistDaktologist Global Moderator
    edited August 2013
    Dfg wrote: »
    So basically this would work with any USB TV Turner card?

It sure will so long as its based on the RTL2832 chipset. The software requires that specific chipset in order to work.
  • SlartibartfastSlartibartfast Global Moderator -__-
    edited August 2013
    Hey! I've done this sans the soldering and totally forgot to make a thread about it.

I didn't know about the shortwave mod. Going to do this soon, probably tonight. Cool :D

I found sdr# was the best software. http://sdrsharp.com/

I got mine for USD$10.00 though... (including a mcx to coax adapter) :o
    edited August 2013
    Hey! I've done this sans the soldering and totally forgot to make a thread about it.

I didn't know about the shortwave mod. Going to do this soon, probably tonight. Cool :D

I found sdr# was the best software. http://sdrsharp.com/

I got mine for USD$10.00 though... (including a mcx to coax adapter) :o

They reckon that using an up converter for shortwave provides better performance, its called a ham it up converter or something. You can solder the wire to either pin 1 or pin 2 of the RTL2832. Just select either I or Q branch (at least one will work) in the configure menu and it should work. I ended up cutting the cheap antenna off of the cable and soldering an "N" connector to the cable. I use an N to BNC adapter to connect it to my receive antenna array. I have a 10 meter tall mast with my antennas mounted up top of it. It also is used as the transmit antenna for Radio Totse (wire antenna running up the inside of the mast).
    edited December 2013
    I tried the direct-sampling mod and fucked up the board.. The pins are really small.

Before i buy a new one can anyone recommend me a similar sdr for around USD$30.00
    edited December 2013
    I tried the direct-sampling mod and fucked up the board.. The pins are really small.

Before i buy a new one can anyone recommend me a similar sdr for around USD$30.00

Shit that sucks bro. Did you try to solder to the capacitor or to the pins on the RTL chipset?.
    edited December 2013
    The cap, I had it working a few times then the solder would snap off. It Eventually burnt the board.

Already ordered a new one.
    edited December 2013
    The cap, I had it working a few times then the solder would snap off. It Eventually burnt the board.

Already ordered a new one.

A dab of hot glue soon solves the problem of wires becoming detached. Its like a wonder tool for electronics.
  • bornkillerbornkiller Administrator In your girlfriends snatch
    edited December 2013
    A dab of hot glue soon solves the problem of wires becoming detached. Its like a wonder tool for electronics.
    Hot glues a wonder tool for more than electronics, that shit is magic. It's right up there with duct tape and rope. :thumbsup:
    edited December 2013
    bornkiller wrote: »
    It's right up there with duct tape and rope. :thumbsup:

Also chloroform ;)
  • spazzyspazzy Regular
    edited December 2013
    Hmm , i have heard good things about sdr s..... I want to try this

Too bad my 2003 chinese computer died.
    edited December 2013
    Too bad I am out of the DAB+ test area. I would like to see how well digital radio works and sounds. I think they tested an HD Radio broadcast as well but that has finished as far as im aware.