Adjusting your cheap Chinese Generator

DaktologistDaktologist Global Moderator
edited February 2014 in Man Cave
These generators are sold under many different brand names but are all built using the same design, making this guide relevant to many cheap Chinese gasoline generators based on the "Chonda" gasoline engine with an inbuilt automatic voltage regulator (AVR). The following info is useful if you want to parallel two generators for MOAR POWER!!!! :D. This I will cover in another guide.

Disclaimer: Daktologist and Totseans.com are not responsible for any injury or damage caused by following this information. Working with high voltages should be left to a suitably qualified person. Adjusting Voltage, Firstly we will be looking at the voltage regulator. This monitors the output voltage and in turn adjusts the 30 volt DC excitation circuit inside the alternator.You want to look for the round vented cover with two hex head screws holding it in place. Once this is off you should be able to access the interior of the alternator. Secondly you want to find the AVR, this is a small black module with four or six wires exiting it. Usually this is mounted with two hex head or pan head screws. After removing the AVR you want to look for an adjustment potentiometer. This is your voltage adjustment point.

Now for the slightly dangerous part. Connect a multimeter or voltmeter to one of the sockets on the generator. After this has been done, start the engine as per the manufacturers instructions and switch the circuit breaker on. You should be getting a voltage reading somewhere around 110-120 or 220-240 volts AC. If not take a flat blade screwdriver and slowly adjust the potentiometer until the correct voltage for your region is showing on your voltmeter. I usually set it around 3 volts high to allow for voltage drop under load. For example the local voltage for me is 230 volt AC so therefore I would set the generator to say 233-235 volts to allow for some drop in voltage under load. My generator was factory set for 245 volts which upset my UPS when it was connected. Mainly it was trying to compensate for a higher mains voltage than it would usually expect. Most appliances will run happily within +-5% of the nominal mains voltage that they are rated for. Once the adjustments have been made, shut off the engine and reassemble the generator.

Adjusting AC Frequency:

Most of the world has a 50 Hz power system except North America and parts of Asia which has a 60 Hz power system. Frequency is determined by motor speed and controlled by a mechanical governor on the alternator. These Chinese generators are all two pole alternators and need to be spun at 3000 RPM for 50 Hz or 3600 RPM for 60 Hz output. This can be easily adjusted by tweaking a set screw near the throttle. It is also handy for getting 60 Hz power in a 50 Hz country or vice versa. For me, my generator was factory set for 50 Hz although it ran at 53 Hz which is on the high edge of the normal range of 47 to 53 Hz that most appliances expect to run on. The set screw needs to be set slightly above the nominal frequency to compensate for a speed drop under load. Setting it for 51 or 61 Hz with no load is a good set point and won't harm your appliances.

Once this is completed your generator should be good to go. My generator didn't come with an hour meter installed so I fitted one. This I recommend so you know when servicing is due (oil change etc).

Comments