Engine Cranking vs. Turning Over: the same or different?

Ive always thought of these as two separate things. To me, "Cranking" has meant rotating the engine either by hand (with a hand crank) or mechanically with a electronic (or pneumatic etc) starter motor until the engine "Turns Over" or otherwise rotates under and/or continues rotating under its own power.

However I have seen a lot of information that states that they are both essentially interchangeable terms and I don't personally agree with that but anyways,
Thoughts?

Comments

• I know about Cranking, like cranking the engine. I mean the world biggest ship has dedicated motors that essentially crank the pistons.

So, yeah cranking makes sense, not sure about Turning over, lol turning over a new leaf?
  • bornkillerbornkiller Administrator In your girlfriends snatch
    Turning over is basically the same as cranking an engine over. Cranking just stuck because it was basically how engines were started back in TDR's days. There are other derivatives as well such as "winding" an engine over, "kicking em in the guts", "kick it over" etc, etc. The concepts are all basically the same shit but with a different flavour. ;)
  • Turning over is basically the same as cranking an engine over. Cranking just stuck because it was basically how engines were started back in TDR's days. There are other derivatives as well such as "winding" an engine over, "kicking em in the guts", "kick it over" etc, etc. The concepts are all basically the same shit but with a different flavour. ;)

TDR's days, hahahaha. Ford T1 days I assume.

• I get that it seems that is the modern definition of turning over as well as the many examples you gave of different terms.

The way I remember learning about it as a young kid is, when starting an engine you crank it until it turns over, or fires. ( the memory that comes to mind is my uncle hand crank starting his 1947 Farmall H while describing it)

In terms of diagnostic reasoning saying the engine cranks but will not turn over means the engine spins but doesn't fire. An engine that cranks and turns over but does not run is an engine that spins, fires a couple times/sputters a little , but for some reason does not stay running. I'm trying to find out if there's anyone else out there that learned it that way as people get confused when I use those terms the way I learned them.

I get that it seems that is the modern definition of turning over as well as the many examples you gave of different terms.

The way I remember learning about it as a young kid is, when starting an engine you crank it until it turns over, or fires. ( the memory that comes to mind is my uncle hand crank starting his 1947 Farmall H while describing it)

In terms of diagnostic reasoning saying the engine cranks but will not turn over means the engine spins but doesn't fire. An engine that cranks and turns over but does not run is an engine that spins, fires a couple times/sputters a little , but for some reason does not stay running. I'm trying to find out if there's anyone else out there that learned it that way as people get confused when I use those terms the way I learned them.

Ohhh ... I get you now. Unfortunately, since there's quite a noticeable difference between our automotive jargon and yours (bonnet / hood) I'd have to say I can't help you with that one. Sorry brother. :(
  • Darth BeaverDarth Beaver Meine Ehre heißt Treue

Turning over is basically the same as cranking an engine over. Cranking just stuck because it was basically how engines were started back in TDR's days. There are other derivatives as well such as "winding" an engine over, "kicking em in the guts", "kick it over" etc, etc. The concepts are all basically the same shit but with a different flavour. ;)

Back in my day we had to grow food for the engine and clean up the exuaust with a shovel.

And FU BK I'm not that old
    :p

Back in my day we had to grow food for the engine and clean up the exuaust with a shovel.

Maybe it's running rich because there seems to be alot of carbon emission build up from the exhaust.

And FU BK I'm not that old
    :p

Haha ..... ok, start of the muscle car era then. :D
  • Darth BeaverDarth Beaver Meine Ehre heißt Treue
    That's more like it.