You've got to be kidding me. -_-

NamasteNamaste Regular
edited August 2010 in Man Cave
So I'm watching this episode of 20/20 where they're talking about giving children medical marijuana. And there is this kid, who is twelve and he's got severe OCD and all sort of things like that, he's a danger to himself, he said he doesn't want to live and all. But that's not the point.

The mom is sitting there saying how while she felt it was drastic, the anti psychotics weren't doing it, as if antipsychoctics are safe drugs for children anyway! So it's less drastic than that. I mean, really. Marijuana is probably TONS safer than any antipsychotic medication on the market. I think marijuana gets an undeserved bad rap in the medical world, because it's so commonly associated with abuse and being a gateway drug.

What do you think about this?
Do you think marijuana is a safer alternative medication than some drugs used to treat certain disorders?
Do you think marijuana's reputation effects how it's perceived in the medical field, negatively?

Comments

• NamasteNamaste Regular
    edited August 2010
    And then the guy is like "in what way are you not getting your son high?" IS THAT THE PROBLEM THEY HAVE? Like, "oh my God, what if it actually makes them feel good?" Really, now. C'mon.
  • StephenPBarrettStephenPBarrett Adviser
    edited August 2010
    - thoughts
    - yes
    - yes though it shouldn't
  • DirtySanchezDirtySanchez Regular
    edited August 2010
    Namaste wrote: »
    And then the guy is like "in what way are you not getting your son high?" IS THAT THE PROBLEM THEY HAVE? Like, "oh my God, what if it actually makes them feel good?" Really, now. C'mon.

I love how they think a weed high is worse then the side effects of psych drugs. I was on anti psychotics for years and the side effects sucked I got drug induced tremors and vision problems and just felt zombified all the time. And there are some permanent effects even years later. Fuck yeah weeds a safer and more effective alternative and fuck the "experts" who say it isnt.
  • NamasteNamaste Regular
    edited August 2010
    I love how they think a weed high is worse then the side effects of psych drugs. I was on anti psychotics for years and the side effects sucked I got drug induced tremors and vision problems and just felt zombified all the time. And there are some permanent effects even years later. Fuck yeah weeds a safer and more effective alternative and fuck the "experts" who say it isnt.

I know, like for real? I was on seroquel (which is an antipsychotic, I believe... may be wrong, and then I'll feel stupid) for a month and it SERIOUSLY messed me up... my blood sugar levels went from completely healthy to what would be medically considered diabetic levels, I was having auditory hallucinations, sleep paralysis, and EXTREME paranoia, not to mention, I was just like totally emotionally numb. It was horrid. I can't imagine being on that for an extended period of time, ESPECIALLY as a child.

I mean, just because of the stigma associated with marijuana, people assume its like SO dangerous, but it's natural, it's fairly safe, and there are tons of man-made drugs that have HORRID symptoms and are far more dangerous... but nobody thinks twice about putting their kids on those.
  • ImaginariumImaginarium Regular
    edited August 2010
    lol. The entire reason I got into drugs in the first place was to self-medicate. And then once I realized that I could be even better than normal I was like, fuck, schiggity schwam, let me get in on some transhumanist nootropic bullshit.

Medicine -> plants -> ethnobotanicals/psychedelics -> shamanism/spiritualism

The real deal isn't that plants like these are bad or whatever, the true fucking agenda is to keep the Abrahamic religious worldview, and further more to keep it out of the hands of the people themselves. What better place for instituting spiritual slavery than a place supposedly for free religions?

Without some overarching morality that most people will agree with even if they aren't truly the church-going type, there is no fucking way in hell to control such a large amount of people. Only organized ignorance (religion) will do this trick. Sacred plants have always been a direct gateway to the heavens, the spirits, and the local gods themselves.
  • StephenPBarrettStephenPBarrett Adviser
    edited August 2010
    This movie and other such propaganda is what started it all.

• NamasteNamaste Regular
    edited August 2010
    lol. The entire reason I got into drugs in the first place was to self-medicate. And then once I realized that I could be even better than normal I was like, fuck, schiggity schwam, let me get in on some transhumanist nootropic bullshit.

Medicine -> plants -> ethnobotanicals/psychedelics -> shamanism/spiritualism

The real deal isn't that plants like these are bad or whatever, the true fucking agenda is to keep the Abrahamic religious worldview, and further more to keep it out of the hands of the people themselves. What better place for instituting spiritual slavery than a place supposedly for free religions?

Without some overarching morality that most people will agree with even if they aren't truly the church-going type, there is no fucking way in hell to control such a large amount of people. Only organized ignorance (religion) will do this trick. Sacred plants have always been a direct gateway to the heavens, the spirits, and the local gods themselves.

I have no idea what this has to do with anything I asked...
  • FrYFrY Regular
    edited August 2010
    Well if I lived in a Medipot state I could get a script in a flash.