Distilling Apple Pie

edited October 2010 in Man Cave
I have been thinking about perhaps making my own shine from apples. The recipe for this type calls for an initial fermentation and distillation, yielding a product which is then mixed 50/50 with apple juice and distilled again. The product is then aged and can be considered "Apple Pie."

Also, I wanted to do the whole process minus the aging with borosilicate glass and was hoping to make a custom still from all g on g parts.

Here's the boiling flask I wanted with 24/40

And here's the fractional distillation head (said the offer 24/40)

Other than a condenser, is there anything I really need for ethanol?

And if this is in the wrong forum, I beg your pardon and wish that you move where appropriate.

Comments

• DirtySanchezDirtySanchez Regular
    edited September 2010
    Heres a guide I wrote earlier on distilling moonshine. I dont know if this helps but here it is. The proccess should work fine with apples as well. I might have to try this.

http://totse.info/bbs/showthread.php?t=4778
  • edited September 2010
    Apple moonshine? sounds pretty damn delicious :) Tell us how it turns out.

I've had it before. Let me assure you it is. It is THE smoothest and sweetest blend I've ever tried. In fact at first I didn't even know it was liquor. That's why I want to make it.

Also, does this Leibig Condenser look good?
    edited September 2010
    I've had it before. Let me assure you it is. It is THE smoothest and sweetest blend I've ever tried. In fact at first I didn't even know it was liquor. That's why I want to make it.

Also, does this Leibig Condenser look good?

Yeah that should work.
    edited September 2010
    spazz wrote: »
    totaly man, brewing your own alc is cool!

I never heard of this stuff but if you make it im interested in the results.

Im interested in hearing the results as well. If it goes well I'm making this stuff. I've made Absinthe moonshine and sugar wine so depending on how the apple moonshine goes Ill try it out and post the results.
  • edited September 2010
    Keep us posted on what happens bro? I'm really interested in this kinda thing.
  • edited September 2010
    What's the purpose of the mixing with apple juice and re-distilling?
  • duuudeduuude Regular
    edited September 2010
    That stuff is sooo good my dealer use to always have it. Great idea
  • edited September 2010
    What's the purpose of the mixing with apple juice and re-distilling?

Flavor. The key is to carry as much as one can through the process. By distilling it twice, one captures the fermented alchol with the flavinoids. The second process merely adds more flavor to the final product with no breakdown by the yeast. This is not my recipe; this was told to me by my father's friend who learned it from the maker in Virginia I believe. This recipe is a good old Southern tradition.
  • edited September 2010
    Hmm, so this is used to get a product with good flavor as opposed to straight shine, I did a little research and this same process is used in making a few other highly flavored liquors. You might want to try adding some toasted hazelnuts, almonds or even apricot pits(just the part inside) to the second distillation. All are high in oil based flavones that should pass well through the still. My only experience with a still was an utter abortion, but that was many years ago, and I might give it another go soon.
  • edited October 2010
    At this point, I've gotten a Corning Organic Chemistry Kit (which is missing its seperatory funnel and according glass stopper, but still got it for $175) and am working on procuring a nice and large boiling flask. Soon I am to go to the southern land of Ellijay to get some quality apples. Have also researched into cider yeasts and according to this link Nottingham is the brand of choice and I think it's starting to shape up nicely. Perhaps I might be able to obtain a camera and start to make this thread a little more fruitful now.

EDIT: Also, the dude "said" the kit was new only missing the parts, but I think I noticed a smudge on the three neck boiling flask. How should I clean this? There was some glue looking stuff on the bottom. Would some and a good glassware brush do the trick or do I need solvents?
  • edited October 2010
    EDIT: UPDATE WITH PICTURES!!!!

Yay!!!

Link to Gallery here.

All I lack at this point are are hot plate (which I might be able to bum from my school) and the Ellijay apples. Also, as one may see, the separatory funnel was not included.

EDIT: Also, yes, my waterbed is attached to the floor.
  • fanglekaifanglekai Regular
    edited October 2010
    Pic fail. Use dropbox.
  • edited October 2010
    fanglekai wrote: »
    Pic fail. Use dropbox.

Bettar, yo?

EDIT: Also, methanol is only produced when particular methanol-producing bacteria contaminate a mash batch. No baker's or brewer's yeast, nor any member of Saccharomyces produces methanol as a byproduct of fermentation. So keep your cultures clean and it's all kosher. The only difference between bake's and brewer's yeasts are their tolerance towards their own piss concentration; they are usually the same species (depends on the manufacturer/culturer).
    edited October 2010
    Still pic fail. It says shroomery.org on there instead of the pic. Download and install dropbox. Upload pics to dropbox. Use dropbox img link. http://www.dropbox.com/
  • edited October 2010
    fanglekai wrote: »
    Still pic fail. It says shroomery.org on there instead of the pic. Download and install dropbox. Upload pics to dropbox. Use dropbox img link. http://www.dropbox.com/

http://www.dropbox.com/gallery/13783387/1/Sample%20Album?h=2304de

EDIT: Guess not.
    edited October 2010

Try image shack. The pics still fail for me.
  • edited October 2010
    Try image shack. The pics still fail for me.

100_2182.JPG?w=b173e96e

The gallery link works and one can view them, but I wanted to see if I could get it to display directly on this page. there should also be a pic in this post.
    edited October 2010
    100_2182.JPG?w=b173e96e

The gallery link works and one can view them, but I wanted to see if I could get it to display directly on this page. there should also be a pic in this post.

You should use that thing as a bong when your done.
  • edited October 2010
    You should use that thing as a bong when your done.

I think my three neck 100 ml boiling flask would do better as I could have someone blow a 24/40 downstem and just use the distillation head as a chamber. I would use a glass stopper on the trid neck as a carb, too. So that pic works?
    edited October 2010
    I think my three neck 100 ml boiling flask would do better as I could have someone blow a 24/40 downstem and just use the distillation head as a chamber. I would use a glass stopper on the trid neck as a carb, too. So that pic works?

It still fails. I had to visit the link.
  • edited October 2010
    It still fails. I had to visit the link.

Oh well. Thanks for the info and I'm also thinking about making some everclear as well so I don't have to pay $15.00/750 ml. bottle.
  • 13371337 Regular
    edited October 2010
    Oh well. Thanks for the info and I'm also thinking about making some everclear as well so I don't have to pay $15.00/750 ml. bottle.

Damn, that's cheap as fuck. Are you talking the 150 proof or the 195 proof?
  • edited October 2010
    1337 wrote: »
    Damn, that's cheap as fuck. Are you talking the 150 proof or the 195 proof?

190 proof Everclear made in St. Louis, Missouri by Luxco. There's some sitting on a shelf in my room right now. I want to dehydrate it and make it into chloral and then chloral hydrate.

EverclearHiRes.jpg
    edited October 2010
    ^ That shit is crazy fun.
  • 13371337 Regular
    edited October 2010
    190 proof Everclear made in St. Louis, Missouri by Luxco. There's some sitting on a shelf in my room right now. I want to dehydrate it and make it into chloral and then chloral hydrate.

EverclearHiRes.jpg

Goddamn! That's still cheap as fuck. 190proof is banned in Florida, anyways. :rolleyes: