Panaeolus cinctulus

MasturbatronMasturbatron Regular
edited October 2010 in Man Cave
I read up just a little bit on shroomery/the mushroom thread here, and from what I can understand Panaeolus cinctulus should be fairly common in my area. Shroomery says that it likes to grow in warm, humid climates, and well I live in SC and it's always fucking warm/humid here. It also tells me that this specific genus of mushroom likes growing in a recently fertilized environment, or out of poo.

I live in a very suburban area, no farms or anything like that nearby. Really the closest thing I have is a small patch of forest with a tiny creek behind my house. What would be my chances of finding anything out there? Also, what if I were to go out sometime today and fertilize my lawn, would anything be growing in the morning?

Comments

• edited October 2010
    Most mushrooms grow in very specific environments, for example Chantrelle (Cantharellus cibarius) a choice edible, only grows around fir trees because it has a mycorrizal relationship with the trees roots, it simply won't grow anywhere else.

Your odds of finding good shrooms in a city environment are pretty slim, mushrooms might seem like they pop up overnight but they actually grow from a structure underground called a mycellium that takes months to grow, what you see is the fruiting body.

Your best bet is to go out shrooming after a couple days of rain, take a bus or bike off into the toolies a bit and find an area with the type of habitat mentioned. BE CAREFUL, there are a few shrooms out there, mainly poisonous Amanitas like the Death Angel, that can kill you dead in an unpleasant way. A good guide is The Audobon Guide to Wild Mushrooms, check for it at your local library. It has habitat descriptions and lists hallucinogenic mushrooms as hallucinogenic not poisonous. Happy shrooming!
    C/O
    "there's a mushroom thread?"
  • edited October 2010
    I read up just a little bit on shroomery/the mushroom thread here, and from what I can understand Panaeolus cinctulus should be fairly common in my area. Shroomery says that it likes to grow in warm, humid climates, and well I live in SC and it's always fucking warm/humid here. It also tells me that this specific genus of mushroom likes growing in a recently fertilized environment, or out of poo.

I live in a very suburban area, no farms or anything like that nearby. Really the closest thing I have is a small patch of forest with a tiny creek behind my house. What would be my chances of finding anything out there? Also, what if I were to go out sometime today and fertilize my lawn, would anything be growing in the morning?

Panaeolus spp. are extremely widespread and are mainly coprophilic saprotrophs (especially the ones you're looking for even though you're way too far north of anything major value) but new flower beds, golf courses, and occasionally even yards can yield P. cinctulus. The best way to get anything of real value is to either strike it lucky as hell or to grow some. By the way, they like horse dung best.
  • edited October 2010
    It might also be worth your while to check out dying logs for Gymnopilus spp. They prefer hardwoods to my knowledge and several species are active. Do note these are in the family Cortinariaceae (they are not poisonous, but have ones that are; just like Psilocybe), so post anything you are unsure with at shroomery in their hunting and identification forum. If you have any extra questions, you know where to find me.
    Most mushrooms grow in very specific environments, for example Chantrelle (Cantharellus cibarius) a choice edible, only grows around fir trees because it has a mycorrizal relationship with the trees roots, it simply won't grow anywhere else.

Your odds of finding good shrooms in a city environment are pretty slim, mushrooms might seem like they pop up overnight but they actually grow from a structure underground called a mycellium that takes months to grow, what you see is the fruiting body.

Your best bet is to go out shrooming after a couple days of rain, take a bus or bike off into the toolies a bit and find an area with the type of habitat mentioned. BE CAREFUL, there are a few shrooms out there, mainly poisonous Amanitas like the Death Angel, that can kill you dead in an unpleasant way. A good guide is The Audobon Guide to Wild Mushrooms, check for it at your local library. It has habitat descriptions and lists hallucinogenic mushrooms as hallucinogenic not poisonous. Happy shrooming!
    C/O
    "there's a mushroom thread?"

Just to let you know, you cant get chanterelles for $4.95 a pound off ebay.
  • MasturbatronMasturbatron Regular
    edited October 2010
    Luck have it, there was a bit of a storm tonight. Rained like a bitch. Tomorrow I might go the woods behind my house, and check around the yard. What exactly should I look for in a wooded area?

I just snooped around shroomery a bit and this is what I've found. Gymnopilus luteofolius,Gymnopilus aeruginosus, and Gymnopilus luteus are said to be found in South Carolina, and from what I understand all of these like to grow on wood in a cluster. So, given this rain tonight, the obvious South Carolina humidity, and the nice fertile forest behind my house...my chances could be pretty good, eh?
  • edited October 2010

Just to let you know, you cant get chanterelles for $4.95 a pound off ebay.

Sweet, ass, tits! Thanks!
    I might go shrooming tomorrow, all the way down to a hidden shop in the scuzzy part of town that sells overpriced weed and some VERY good shrooms. I have tried for years to find wild shrooms around Vancouver and was only successful once, you have to go up the valley a bit and get into the rural farmland to stand a chance. But jumping fences attracts the pigs, and the occasional load of birdshot blasted in your general direction.
    C/O
    "I want to see a sparkly world, where the trees breathe, and neon Mayan runes appear on my jeans"
  • edited October 2010
    Sweet, ass, tits! Thanks!
    I might go shrooming tomorrow, all the way down to a hidden shop in the scuzzy part of town that sells overpriced weed and some VERY good shrooms. I have tried for years to find wild shrooms around Vancouver and was only successful once, you have to go up the valley a bit and get into the rural farmland to stand a chance. But jumping fences attracts the pigs, and the occasional load of birdshot blasted in your general direction.
    C/O
    "I want to see a sparkly world, where the trees breathe, and neon Mayan runes appear on my jeans"

Just remember no psychedelic that I know of is mycorrhizal, so places of high nutritional (i.e. rotting wood, leaf litter, composts, etc.) content, moisture and above freezing temperatures would be your best bet. Shrooms can grow in some retarded temps though, keeping one's eyes peeled is the most one can do. Also look for some Ganoderma while you're out there; it wouldn't hurt 'cause I've seen them growing at -10 below (F) but I assume they could go moar Xtreeeem.
  • edited October 2010
    Luck have it, there was a bit of a storm tonight. Rained like a bitch. Tomorrow I might go the woods behind my house, and check around the yard. What exactly should I look for in a wooded area?

I just snooped around shroomery a bit and this is what I've found. Gymnopilus luteofolius,Gymnopilus aeruginosus, and Gymnopilus luteus are said to be found in South Carolina, and from what I understand all of these like to grow on wood in a cluster. So, given this rain tonight, the obvious South Carolina humidity, and the nice fertile forest behind my house...my chances could be pretty good, eh?

Assuming good chances is like expecting to win the lottery with $5 worth of tickets; it can happen, but don't place too many bets on it. They like are generally xylophilic (but can occur where rotten wood has decomposed) and, inmost pictures I've seen, grow off of fallen trees. Shroom hunting is a well-blended mix of knowledge, timing, and a good dash of luck. Hell, I've been looking for P. weilii for nearly 3-4 years now with no success. Also, here's one thing that might also give you some hope:

This is the only North American (and documented) find of Psilocybe caerulescens since 1923

THERE ARE GREAT THINGS WHERE YOU ARE JUST LYING IN WAIT.
  • fr0st_Bytefr0st_Byte Sumpin' c00L
    edited October 2010

Cool. I live in SC too man. PM me and we can talk about picking around here.

I pick every season, about 3 times a week. I'm sure I've picked my weight 10x over in WET mushrooms.
  • edited October 2010
    fr0st_Byte wrote: »
    Cool. I live in SC too man. PM me and we can talk about picking around here.

I pick every season, about 3 times a week. I'm sure I've picked my weight 10x over in WET mushrooms.

Lucky you. What species? fo realz 'Cause there are parts of SC which I bet should host cubes. Seriously, it wouldn't surprise me.