Question.

MasturbatronMasturbatron Regular
edited December 2010 in Tech & Games
I have an Acer Extensa 4630 laptop and I'd really like to add a graphics card to it, or upgrade whatever kind of video card is in it. Also I want to add more RAM, my question is: Is it possible to upgrade my graphics/video card, and how difficult would it be?

Another thing is my USB ports are both broken, how would I go about replacing them?

Comments

• MasturbatronMasturbatron Regular
    edited December 2010
    I wouldn't bother. Difficulties:

1. It needs to be able to fit into the goddamn laptop case.
    2. The enclosure is designed specifically for the heat output of the original card - replacing it with a more powerful card will likely raise the heat ouptut, which could in turn damage components.
    3. The motherboard needs to support the new card. A lot of laptops will only support a specific range of cards to prevent you from doing damage due to that last point.

I forgot the rest (thanks nutmeg), but just realised an exception - if the laptop is being sold as a variant with a more powerful graphics card, you should be safe to upgrade yours to that same card as the internal componentry is usually standard throughout the range.

Well that sure does suck. What about upgrading the RAM?
  • edited December 2010
    Check to see how much RAM your laptop can take, and check to see the type of RAM it takes. You'll want to check the speed of it too.

Once you have that information, you can find some compatible RAM using Ebay or wherever you want.
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited December 2010
    Long story short:
    A) If it's RAM it can be upgraded.
    B) If it's HDD it can be upgraded.
    C) If it's a processor it can be upgraded to a higher or lower clock as long as the motherboard and Laptop supports it.
    D) Accessories like Sound card etc can be added but only USB ones will work..

Anything else, don't bother. Adding a Graphic Card will be expensive and it won't do much. Save money and upgrade to a better Laptop.