Does anyone here cut their own hair?

Totse BotTotse Bot Banned
edited July 2010 in Life
Every time I go to the hairdresser they just do it wrong anyway, so I'm thinking of cutting it myself. How hard can it be? You get some scissors and you chop off the stuff you don't want.

...I'm going to fail, aren't I? :(

Comments

• FrYFrY Regular
    edited July 2010
    Dread it. Then you never have to worry.
  • ArcadeArcade Semo-Regulars
    edited July 2010
    I've never been to the barber in my life, my dad used to cut it when I was a kid and eventually I started cutting it myself, it was a bit of a challenge at first, doing everything in reverse using 2 mirrors but now people always tell me it looks like I went somewhere expensive to get it cut...start cutting ur own shit, its easier, cheaper, you can cut it how you want it, not how some random hair dresser see's fit, just take your time with it so you wont fuck up eventually it'l be easy and take you no more than 30 mins a month or whatever....

how long is your hair anyway? post a google image of something ur hair looks like...if its short enough, use clippers for the back and sides and scissors for the top until you get comfortable enough to use what you want...if its long then it should be really easy to cut it with just scissors...or buzz it...I did for the first time a couple months ago, it took a bit of getting used to but I love it now.
  • Totse BotTotse Bot Banned
    edited July 2010
    Arcade wrote: »
    I've never been to the barber in my life, my dad used to cut it when I was a kid and eventually I started cutting it myself, it was a bit of a challenge at first, doing everything in reverse using 2 mirrors but now people always tell me it looks like I went somewhere expensive to get it cut...start cutting ur own shit, its easier, cheaper, you can cut it how you want it, not how some random hair dresser see's fit, just take your time with it so you wont fuck up eventually it'l be easy and take you no more than 30 mins a month or whatever....

how long is your hair anyway? post a google image of something ur hair looks like...if its short enough, use clippers for the back and sides and scissors for the top until you get comfortable enough to use what you want...if its long then it should be really easy to cut it with just scissors...or buzz it...I did for the first time a couple months ago, it took a bit of getting used to but I love it now.

This is pretty much my hair right now, only a bit longer:

beatles_ringo_starr_19641.jpg

I want to cut a lot off the top, and get rid of the split ends a bit, etc. Think it'll be hard?

So basically I don't want to use clippers, just scissors.
    edited July 2010
    I don't think it'l be hard at all, esp if what you mainly want to do is cut off the split ends, just take your time, don't rush and do small portions at a time, once you get used to it you can do it fast but for now, go slow and start on one side, and move towards the other, don't just cut randomly all over the place...

also, when you cut...this might be difficult to explain.

if you take a lock (sp?) of hair...don't cut it perfectly straight, cut it on a bit of an angle...if you want more of a layered look, which I'm assuming you do from the pic you posted...and do the sides and top first so you get a bit used to what your doing before you move towards the back and every movement you make is in reverse if your using 2 mirrors, which you should be otherwise you wont be able to see whats going on back there.
    edited July 2010
    I don't think it'l be hard at all, esp if what you mainly want to do is cut off the split ends, just take your time, don't rush and do small portions at a time, once you get used to it you can do it fast but for now, go slow and start on one side, and move towards the other, don't just cut randomly all over the place...

also, when you cut...this might be difficult to explain.

if you take a lock (sp?) of hair...don't cut it perfectly straight, cut it on a bit of an angle...if you want more of a layered look, which I'm assuming you do from the pic you posted...and do the sides and top first so you get a bit used to what your doing before you move towards the back and every movement you make is in reverse if your using 2 mirrors, which you should be otherwise you wont be able to see whats going on back there.

Thanks! That's a big help. And I guess if I fail the first time, I can just shave it. Hopefully if I take my time and do what you say that won't be necessary though.

One last question - how do I cut my fringe/bangs? I just want to cut it so it's not in my eyes. Just the same as the rest of my hair - one bit at a time and at an angle?
  • AnonymousAnonymous Regular
    edited July 2010
    Don't cut it yourself, you'll do it wrong and look like a retard.
    edited July 2010
    Blunderful wrote: »
    Thanks! That's a big help. And I guess if I fail the first time, I can just shave it. Hopefully if I take my time and do what you say that won't be necessary though.

One last question - how do I cut my fringe/bangs? I just want to cut it so it's not in my eyes. Just the same as the rest of my hair - one bit at a time and at an angle?

if your hairs that long and you fuck it up to the point where you have to shave it then your blind, lol i dunno...that wont happen, if you fuck it up just cut it a bit shorter so its even.

and the front depends on what you want, if you want it to be even with your eyebrows, then cut it all in one go...even if you want it sort of on an angle, one side of your forehead more visible, do the same...

but if you want it more like ringos then cut in parts, but I wouldn't use your fingers or a comb to hold your hair in the front when you cut it, just let it fall and cut away...

if you want it to be a bit feathered, (ill use hair over your ear as an example) then let your hair fall and grab a bit of it, leaving most still covering your ear and the rest in your fingers, comb..and cut that bit your holding a bit shorter. (this applies to your whole head)

also...wash your hair and dry it, blow dry it if you have to before you cut so as your cutting it you'll see what it will look like when you have your hair clean and styled how you normally wear it...cut it when its wet or dirty and it'l look different after a shower and you might not like it...
    edited July 2010
    if your hairs that long and you fuck it up to the point where you have to shave it then your blind, lol i dunno...that wont happen, if you fuck it up just cut it a bit shorter so its even.

and the front depends on what you want, if you want it to be even with your eyebrows, then cut it all in one go...even if you want it sort of on an angle, one side of your forehead more visible, do the same...

but if you want it more like ringos then cut in parts, but I wouldn't use your fingers or a comb to hold your hair in the front when you cut it, just let it fall and cut away...

if you want it to be a bit feathered, (ill use hair over your ear as an example) then let your hair fall and grab a bit of it, leaving most still covering your ear and the rest in your fingers, comb..and cut that bit your holding a bit shorter. (this applies to your whole head)

also...wash your hair and dry it, blow dry it if you have to before you cut so as your cutting it you'll see what it will look like when you have your hair clean and styled how you normally wear it...cut it when its wet or dirty and it'l look different after a shower and you might not like it...

Okay, got it. Thanks a lot man. :cool:
  • DysgraphiaDysgraphia Locked
    edited July 2010
    The chances of screwing up are high, but it wouldn't be any different from the unsatisfactory cut you'll get at a barber.

Cut it!
  • VermicideVermicide Regular
    edited July 2010
    I don't know, I've cut my hair for a few years but just with clippers all over. I'd never try to cut my hair myself if it was long, like just using scissors, the back would be a real bitch. Plus if it's quite thick you need those special scissors for thinning it.
  • metameta Regular
    edited July 2010
    Ive cut my own hair for a couple of years now. Its really easy if you just buzz it, looks good, clean, and easy to maintain. Not to mention its free.
  • AnonymousAnonymous Regular
    edited July 2010
    meta wrote: »
    Ive cut my own hair for a couple of years now. Its really easy if you just buzz it, looks good, clean, and easy to maintain. Not to mention its free.

And you end up looking like ToothlessJoe. :o
  • anarchomaniacanarchomaniac New Arrival
    edited July 2010
    If you can pull off that disheveled indie kid look, or you're punk as fuck, you should totally cut your hair yourself. I personally dyed my hair blonde (but i have black hair, so it came out all goofy reddish crazy awesome) then let it grow out, cut it myself, and now i have the most kickass hair ever. Not for socially-dependent assholes who need approval though- You gotta do your own thing/
  • edited July 2010
    I'm growing my hair out for Locks of Love.
  • Brock SamsonBrock Samson Regular
    edited July 2010
    I buzzcut my hair with a clipper. It's easy and pretty quick.
  • Gorilla GutsGorilla Guts Acolyte
    edited July 2010
    i just do it myself, and have a buddy clean up the neck. 40 bucks for a clipper, pays for itself after two uses.
  • Femme FataleFemme Fatale Semo-Regulars
    edited July 2010
    Yeah I just use clippers and scissors, it's not very hard, just make sure you can see what you're doing entirely.
  • BlackOpsNinjaBlackOpsNinja Acolyte
    edited July 2010
    Been goin to the same barber for years, since I was a little kid. I've had a few haircuts in between that I didn't like, so I always went back. 8 bucks for a standard haircut plus two bucks in tip every 3 months or so.
  • blindbatblindbat Regular
    edited July 2010
    i only cut my pubes that's it. i would cut the hair on my head but don't wanna fuck it up.
  • GreenbullGreenbull Regular
    edited July 2010
    Short hair is so much easier to deal with.

Cutting own hair is fucking sweet.
  • PacoPaco me administrator
    edited July 2010
    When I had long hair I always had it cut but when I got bored of my hair I went to my friends house and he shaved it for the lulz. He did a pretty good job too.
  • woodwood Regular
    edited July 2010
    It's so goddamn easy I haven't paid for a haircut in the last five years. Even if you fuck it up the first time it beats paying someone else to fuck it up.
  • Dumpster SlutDumpster Slut Acolyte
    edited July 2010
    practice on your dog / cat / little brother before you cut [fuck up] your own hair
  • DeadHamDeadHam Acolyte
    edited July 2010
    Ive cut my hair for about 5 years now, but I basically buzz it, sorta High and Tight USMC haircut, but a little longer. I just Youtubed it for starters, followed by a fair amount of trial and error. Mirrors and/or a trustworthy helper are critical to success. I have a tiny bit of experience with scissors, but more out of necessity than anything. I would youtube it.
    edited July 2010
    The message was lost in the database stuff up, but basically I cut my hair and it looks pretty good! I'm happy with it, and it's better than it was before.
  • Big baby jesusBig baby jesus Regular
    edited July 2010
    Arnold?

I've done it but I wouldn't again, I think I got lucky with the last one and I'm goin to a barber next time.
  • TruthWielderTruthWielder Regular
    edited July 2010
    Clippers, scissors, and a nice comb are pretty much all you need.

I just clip my hair down to mostly nothing. Go ahead and experiment. I suggest having clippers because in the worst scenario you can always just shave your head.
  • Tommy LundTommy Lund Acolyte
    edited July 2010
    I have cut my hair two times this millenium, so I would rather have it done right with a pro.

If I deside to have it cut short in the future, I will make one of my female hairdresser friends do it for free.

I can`t really understand people that use hundreds of dollars on their hair. Even more so when they wear a hat everywhere. :mad:
  • SHANE14SHANE14 Regular
    edited July 2010
    I cut split ends off my hair when I'm bored? I havn't had a hair cut for 5/6 years, and even before that I really only got my hair shaven or occasionally cut by my mum who used to be a hair dresser.
  • ZeldaZelda New Arrival
    edited July 2010
    I've had to fix my boyfriends hair after he tried to cut it himself. I go to one of the nice salons in the city, on mondays you can get a cut for from from a student. I was scared the first time, but I'm always much happier than if I were to pay for a cheap haircut.
  • stresstres Regular
    edited July 2010
    I've had a few harder-to-maintain haircuts in the past, however as of the past 6months I've just been using clippers and shaving to a #2 twice a week. Free, light, extremely easy to maintain and clean ~ I can't see myself reverting in the near future.