Merge the old totse threads into the forum

TheGreenDoctorTheGreenDoctor Regular
edited January 2011 in Help and Suggestions
A while back when I was getting the "server too busy" messages, I was able to access some of the old totse threads. It appears that there is a big hulking backup of many of the threads kicking around here unused. I was wondering if it would be possible to merge the databases together so we can post in them or if that would be such a huge task it would border on the impossible. The only other issue I was would see would be that if you tried to reregister your old name it wouldn't let you as the name already "exists" in some sense, but I'm sure there could be a workaround similar to the Notse verification system to prove ownership of an account.

Comments

• da teachada teacha Regular
    edited July 2010
    A while back when I was getting the "server too busy" messages, I was able to access some of the old totse threads. It appears that there is a big hulking backup of many of the threads kicking around here unused. I was wondering if it would be possible to merge the databases together so we can post in them or if that would be such a huge task it would border on the impossible. The only other issue I was would see would be that if you tried to reregister your old name it wouldn't let you as the name already "exists" in some sense, but I'm sure there could be a workaround similar to the Notse verification system to prove ownership of an account.

Haven't realised there's a shitload of old posts kicking around. Yeah, fuck, that'd have to be the next obvious step in getting this shit going.

I guess it'd be shit difficult to make the same accounts usable again. Probably would be better to assume them some kind of ghost identity, where the threads still exist and can be replied to, but their user accounts don't.

Besides, it's more interesting when people roll up with different names and identities. Keeps everybody on their toes and rids the place of that clingy vibe.
  • JackJack Regular
    edited July 2010
    Yeah and besides, half the fuckers still around here regret their first choice of username anyway, wouldn't want to reassign the old names.
  • TheGreenDoctorTheGreenDoctor Regular
    edited July 2010
    Either way, it would be cool if there was a way to merge everything together. If there are more threads, more people will stay as there is more to read, and it would help build up the community as everyone who visited would always find something of interest that they would want to contribute to.
  • HellishHellish Regular
    edited July 2010
    Well the problem is the old threads are html and so each would need to be redone and put into the DB. If you guys want to, i'll need your help but its possible.
  • da teachada teacha Regular
    edited July 2010
    Hellish wrote: »
    Well the problem is the old threads are html and so each would need to be redone and put into the DB. If you guys want to, i'll need your help but its possible.

What would the job entail? I have a shitload of time on my hands at the moment.
  • TheGreenDoctorTheGreenDoctor Regular
    edited July 2010
    I don't have gobs of time to spare, but I would be willing to help also. We don't have to do every single thread, and it could be a way to get the dead links out of the archive while we're at it.
  • Agent 008Agent 008 Regular
    edited July 2010
    Hellish wrote: »

This can be automated. See my PM.
  • KatzenklavierKatzenklavier Regular
    edited November 2010
  • SkittlesSkittles Regular
    edited November 2010
    We should just recreate them post for post and assign people usernames :hai:
  • KatzenklavierKatzenklavier Regular
    edited November 2010
    Yeah I'll pass on that idea.
  • LuxJigabooLuxJigaboo Regular
    edited November 2010
    What happened to the posts that I made in this thread? :(
  • MayberryMayberry Regular
    edited November 2010
    I ate them.
  • HellishHellish Regular
    edited November 2010
    vozhde wrote: »
    What happened to the posts that I made in this thread? :(
    Blame Skittles.
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited January 2011
  • Darth BeaverDarth Beaver Meine Ehre heißt Treue
    edited January 2011
    Is this still on the table? Does the automated method work? If not do you still need help?