Should I be making a laptop cooler?

dr rockerdr rocker Regular
edited January 2011 in Tech & Games
14mdrip.png

Its running quite hot and the fan is on quite a bit - at the moment I have it resting on a freezer pack .

I have taken it apart and given it a good clean - also what do people think of taking the processor out and sanding the bond between that and the heat sink so get a better contact?

Comments

• edited January 2011
    Jesus christ, that's hot. Take it apart, clean it all out. Remove any old thermal paste from the CPU/heatsink, and replace it with some new stuff.

Put it all back together, and try tweaking it a little. Get any unnecessary shit off of there, anything which creates CPU cycles will create additional heat.

Also, which OS are you running? Have you tried something different, like a lightweight Linux distro?
  • KatzenklavierKatzenklavier Regular
    edited January 2011
    Fuck that's hot. Pretty much this ^, clean it out.
  • dr rockerdr rocker Regular
    edited January 2011
    I cleaned it not so long ago - only had the problem the last couple of days since I installed VLC and Ant - lots of tabs opening and closing and ant getting vids - although I have had both programmes installed in the past it was before I took the laptop apart to clean it.

Probably have not fitted the heat sink flush. I have ripped a PS2 and a USB mouse so I have an external fan keeping shit cool - the part of my house my laptop is in is around 24c anyway.

Running low of 55c and a high of 65c now, no matter how hard I push it. Cant be arsed to go to the shops to buy things to make a propper cooling stand but am back at work tomorrow - lots of shit lying around there so I will nab some gear.

I will also take the laptop back apart and make sure it is all together correctly.
  • edited January 2011
    Make sure you check that thermal paste! It's incredibly efficient at dissipating heat to the heatsink correctly.
    edited January 2011
    You need new stuff every time too
    edited January 2011
    That will be it then - I did not use new paste when I took it apart last time. I have ordered some.
  • fanglekaifanglekai Regular
    edited January 2011
    Arctic Silver 5 ftw
    edited January 2011
    Thats what I got, and some cleaner to get the old stuff off and a couple of fans.
    edited January 2011
    Good. How old is that laptop anyway? I had a shitty HP I got for cheap and it was always running hot like that, 60+C even idling. I got a new Acer and it idled in the high 30s, low 40s C.
    edited January 2011
    dr rocker wrote: »
    Thats what I got, and some cleaner to get the old stuff off and a couple of fans.

All you need is isopropanol to get it off.
    edited January 2011
    The cleaner is iso - its as cheap from the place I got it online as anywhere. The laptop is around 15 months old.
    edited January 2011
    dr rocker wrote: »
    The cleaner is iso - its as cheap from the place I got it online as anywhere. The laptop is around 15 months old.
    Damn. Was it always running that hot? What brand is it?
  • DaktologistDaktologist Global Moderator
    edited January 2011
    Sounds like my laptop a few weeks ago, never dropping below 90c, cleaned out 2 years worth of dust and lint and it idles at around 30c now
  • HellishHellish Regular
    edited January 2011
    Thanks for reminding me. I wrote something on my hand to do something but it got faded.
  • MayberryMayberry Regular
    edited January 2011
    Hellish wrote: »
    Thanks for reminding me. I wrote something on my hand to do something but it got faded.

My my, you've got a sweaty penis.
    edited January 2011
    Any heat problems can be solved with a suitable application of liquid nitrogen.
    edited January 2011
    Well, I took it to bits, cleaned it and put it back together with new paste. It is still running around 53C (althought it is quite warm in the room - maybe 25 - 26 c).

On top of that, I must have been a little more forceful with the keyboard than I should have been - keys 3,4, E, D and C now do not work - luckily I have wireless keyboard but its batteries so thats bitch.
  • edited January 2011
    It's possibly just a bad quality Heatsink then. Laptops generally run much hotter too, but 53 is still quite hot. Have you tried a different OS to see if it runs any cooler?
  • RemadERemadE Global Moderator
    edited January 2011
    My new Toshiba Satellite Pro is hot as fuck so I have to put it on a cooling stand with a fan. Fucks me orff.