The AK-74 Polish Tantal and The Keyholing Issue

Pile of JewsPile of Jews Regular
edited January 2011 in Man Cave
There is one of these selling for $399 at the shop here. They're real nice guns, you can feel the quality when you pick it up, nothing is loose, magazine fits tight. The only issue that kept me from buying today was its issues with keyholing, I heard that they corrected the issue and started using the right barrel diameter, but I can't tell if this is the newer or older models. So my question is, how do you go about measuring barrel diameter?

Comments

• edited January 2011
    put a bullet or live round facing the bolt into the barrel.
  • acid_dropacid_drop Regular
    edited January 2011
    The dealer should also have gauges handy. If he doesn't let you check the barrel, then GTFO.
  • 5.56 SS1095.56 SS109 Regular
    edited January 2011
    From reading up on recent AR15.com threads and asking around, it seems the problem is still present.

I have heard of people swapping out a rifle 4 times only to end up with nothing but rifles that keyhole, and then have Century tell them "too bad" when they want to swap it again.

Run away, run far away.

The $399 "Bulgarian AK74s" are actually pretty good, but the Tantal is junk.
  • Pile of JewsPile of Jews Regular
    edited January 2011
    ^ Yeah I have heard great things about the Bulgarian, Century is known for building garbage, but its a hit or miss with them on quality. They have their days.