Drummer Talk

-SpectraL-SpectraL Will Faggert
edited January 2011 in Spurious Generalities
removed

reason: administrative censure without cause in the Suggestions forum

Comments

• LethargicaLethargica Regular
    edited January 2011
    hey i am also a drummer too. been playing drums for 7 years. the first 4 years i started playing in a metal band and played songs from meshuggah, and norma jean -_- but yeah. I have a pearl kit myself, not fusion =[, 3 zildjian cymbals: china, ride, crash. casabian hybrid crash/ride. and a makeshift splash cymbol that came from a shitty hi-hat set and i just pulled it inside out. Works nice.

but yeah after i disbanded, i decided to do a little more of drumcorps stuff. I was captain of my section for bass drums and sooner or later became the center snare, captain of my drumline team, undefeated throughout our season. Today, i still like rudimental drumming more than set now, just because i do like the technicalities of rudimental drumming and you can practice anywhere with other drummers. it creates a strong bond instead of taking turns to play on a drumset. that is just my perspective.

as for sticks, you know..once you are good, you'd take any kind of stick and play well with them. But i do prefer a type of promark stick that was custom made for a professional drum and bugle core.
  • LethargicaLethargica Regular
    edited January 2011
    yeah i have iron cobras for double bass. i never really liked them..and it takes a LOT of practice to master double bass techniques. In the end, i just went with all power from my feet to play fast, but i know in the long run, it's not efficient.
  • -SpectraL-SpectraL Will Faggert
    edited January 2011
    Ya... double bass rudiments are certainly no easy feat to master (please excuse the pun). The best advice I can give is have you just do eighth notes at whatever speed you are comfortable with at first... just straight up eighth notes in a straight line... and this will allow the proper muscles in your ankles to firm up and gather more strength as time goes on. The reason why they are hard to play is that there are many muscles in our body which we hardly use, and they "go to sleep" after awhile. It just takes a little bit of shaking to wake them up, and once you do the reward is great. Just do straight eighth notes at whatever speed you can keep the beat solid and constant, and keep doing just that alone for two months or so, and watch what you can do then.
  • edited January 2011
    I used to play drums and still consider myself a drummer. I sold most of my kit to an old man when I was looking for more room in my house and more money (which I later saved up and bought a computer with). I don't have a preference as to what sort of music I play to, but I drummed with other musicians and we played mainly rock/metal/ska music which was pretty cool. I need to sell my double bass pedal, a paiste ride cymbal and a boom stand :(
    edited January 2011
    trx100 wrote: »
    I used to play drums and still consider myself a drummer. I sold most of my kit to an old man when I was looking for more room in my house and more money (which I later saved up and bought a computer with). I don't have a preference as to what sort of music I play to, but I drummed with other musicians and we played mainly rock/metal/ska music which was pretty cool. I need to sell my double bass pedal, a paiste ride cymbal and a boom stand :(
    What size/model/condition is the Paiste ride?
  • edited January 2011
    -SpectraL wrote: »
    What size/model/condition is the Paiste ride?

I can't remember, it's all under my bed now and there's no way I'm getting that out right now. I think it's a 20" PST5? In good condition, sounds just as great as the day I bought it.
    edited January 2011
    trx100 wrote: »
    I can't remember, it's all under my bed now and there's no way I'm getting that out right now. I think it's a 20" PST5? In good condition, sounds just as great as the day I bought it.
    They're worth $125 brand new... and they work a lot better for trashy/grungy metal stuff. For a ride, I would highly recommend the Zildjian 22" A-Custom ride. It is the best of all ride cymbals for hard rock and classic metal... and it even beats the old vintage K's and the old vintage Constanoples.

This is the 20" of the same model, but I prefer the 22" for the larger bell on it. It's so sweet-sounding that words cannot describe.

DSCN9204.jpg
  • bornkillerbornkiller Administrator In your girlfriends snatch
    edited January 2011
    I forgot your a drummer Spec. :( Do you have a decent place for drum backing tracks by any chance? I play, rhythm, lead and bass guitar but started fucking around with the drums recently (still a drum noob) Backing tracks galore for those, but finding decent BTs for drums are :facepalm:
  • MarijuanasaurusMarijuanasaurus Regular
    edited January 2011
    Ive always wanted to play the drums but just never got the chance. In highschool I fucked around on the drum kit, and I got alright with it, but nowhere close to where Im at on the bass guitar. Once I have a bit of money saved up Im going to buy a kit and learn to play.
  • bornkillerbornkiller Administrator In your girlfriends snatch
    edited January 2011
    ^ Bass player. Mang! We got the makings of a decent band here.