Hows this for a Power Bill per Month?

bornkillerbornkiller AdministratorIn your girlfriends snatch
edited December 2010 in Spurious Generalities
$686.00 Per Hour To Run!

119-590x439.jpg

This Christmas display in Delaware consists of 1,000,000 lights, and has been estimated to cost $686/hour, or $82,320 a month to operate. HouseLogic determined the price by assuming that each of their 1,000,000 lights were average 5 watt C7 bulbs. Then they did the math for a 4 hour run each night for 30 nights, using the average price per kWh in the region. They also worked up an estimate for LED lights, which reduced their energy costs to $89/hour, or $10,680 a month.

http://cubiclebot.com/pictures/unreal-christmas-display-costs-an-estimated-86320-per-month/

Comments

• DfgDfg Admin
    edited December 2010
    Holy fuck, those assholes have a lot of money to waste :(. GIMME SOME YOU FUCKING JEWS!
  • edited December 2010
    Jesus christ, that's insane. Not sure why anyone would go to THAT much effort just for a few weeks of holiday though.
  • SliceSlice Regular
    edited December 2010
    Looks like my neighbors' house lol
  • KatzenklavierKatzenklavier Regular
    edited December 2010
    bornkiller wrote: »
    and has been estimated to cost $686/hour,

They also worked up an estimate for LED lights, which reduced their energy costs to $89/hour,

This is why you should replace your house lamps with LED lamps.
  • edited December 2010
    This is why you should replace your house lamps with LED lamps.

Holy shit, that's an incredible amount of difference. How bright are these LED lamps?

Also, this thread makes me wonder how much my LAN party cost to run the other month.
    edited December 2010
    "Holy shit, that's an incredible amount of difference. How bright are these LED lamps?"

Depends on the lamp. They are rated in lumens, and a typical 40 watt lamp gives 500 lumens, but a nice GE led lamp gives about 250. The thing is though it's a spot light, so a lot less light is wasted lighting up your ceiling etc. Not only that a 250 lumen bulb uses only 7 watts.

They're pricey, maybe 30-40 dollars a lamp (not that price should be a problem for a totsean) but a bulb bought now will die in 2050.

"Also, this thread makes me wonder how much my LAN party cost to run the other month."

How many computers?
    How many watts per computer? (Look on the power supplies)
    How long did it run?
    What's your kilowatt/hour price? (cents per kW/h)
  • edited December 2010
    Wow. That's a substantial amount of difference compared to the current bulbs I'm using. Probably going to purchase an LED spotlight soon with 3 bulbs on. Thanks!

As for the computers, there were 6 of us. I've got a 600W PSU (IIRC), one guy had a 1000W, there were 2 laptops (not sure how they work, but they were both plugged in), and the other two desktops probably had 500W PSU's.

Do computers use all of that power? Or does it depend on your hardware components? For example, would an on-board graphics chip take less to run than a high end card like the GTX480?
  • MayberryMayberry Regular
    edited December 2010
    Do they at least have a solar panel or a wind turbine? :o
    edited December 2010
    Yep LED's are nuts. They convert like 35% of the energy used to light, an incandescent only about 1%. Like the SSC-P7 LED puts out 900 lumens at [email protected]. That's 11.76 watts. A 900 lumen light bulb would need 75 watts.

As for the computers, when running a big game, the computer likely uses 80% of that energy. The laptops I would imagine to be 150 watts each, so 150+150+1000+600+500+500 * .8 is 2.3kilowatts.

How long were the computers on, and what do you pay per kW/h? Look on your electric bill. If you can't find it, pm me with you location (city) and I'll look up the average rates.
  • edited December 2010
    The computers were on from about 12 midday, until 10am the next day.

As for Location - I'm not in the USA. Would you still be able to look up the average rates?
    edited December 2010
    No, rates vary wildly from $.04 to nearly $.75. I'll need a city, don't worry I won't tell anyone. Plus there's like a million people in a city anyway.
  • edited December 2010
    So you're saying that you can't look up rates that aren't outside of the USA? Any idea where I would obtain that information for the UK?
    edited December 2010
    Just google "average cost per kilowatt hour in XXXX" and tell me the number.
  • edited December 2010
    £0.66 (or $1.023858)
    Does that sound right?
    edited December 2010
    Damn that's expensive. I only pay $.05.

So,
    22 hous @ 2.3:
    2.3kW * £0.66 * 22hs = £33.396 = $51.80

Fuck, it'd only cost me $2.53. :p
  • dr rockerdr rocker Regular
    edited December 2010
    It is no where near 66p. Its about 12.5p. That makes it £6.32 in the UK which is about $10 in the usa. The usa also has some of the dirtiest power station on earth.

The UK had some filthy power stations in the past, but when we realised they were raining down cancer, we blew them up.

BOOOOMM.