Wet shaving

fanglekaifanglekai Regular
edited April 2011 in Life

Comments

• edited July 2010
    Wow, I never knew there was so much to learn about shaving. Usually, I just throw technique out the window and slice my face up with the razor.

Ill definitely try a little harder next time, thanks for this informative guide!
  • rejectreject Regular
    edited July 2010
    Don't you just put shaving foam on your face and use one of these;

gillette_mach_3_razor_incl_2_blades_1588.jpg

Or have I been over simplyfying shaving all these years?

If anyone has tips for the most effective way to shave the bit behind your jaw bone, under your ear, let me know. That place is a cunt to shave effectively.
  • fanglekaifanglekai Regular
    edited July 2010
  • weathersweathers Regular
    edited July 2010
    For shaving my head I use a DE or straight razor with shaving oil. After experiencing the wonders of oil I can never go back to soap, foam or gel.
  • PacinoPacino Regular
    edited July 2010
    i just use some cheap ass bic razors and some gel, seems to to the job just as well as the more expensive bollocks which ive tried

all money making gimmicks they keep coming out with
    edited July 2010
  • VermicideVermicide Regular
    edited July 2010
    I just use the clippers I cut my hair with, but on the lowest setting (no attachments). Hate the feeling of being clean shaven.
  • rejectreject Regular
    edited July 2010
    I'd like to point out I don't go to that much effort because I really despise shaving. I absolutely hate having to do it. It's even worse now I have to shave every 3 days, 4 at a push.

And I did such a shite job earlier I gotta do it again tomorrow gah.
    edited July 2010
    reject wrote: »
    I'd like to point out I don't go to that much effort because I really despise shaving. I absolutely hate having to do it. It's even worse now I have to shave every 3 days, 4 at a push.

And I did such a shite job earlier I gotta do it again tomorrow gah.

I despised it until I bought good shaving gear. Now it's actually fun and cheaper than it was with the disposable razors.
  • PacinoPacino Regular
    edited July 2010
    fanglekai wrote: »
    Why use plastic trash? Those razors don't cut for shit. The reason I switched over to a DE razor and brush was because if I'm going to do this for most of my life, I might as well enjoy it. That, and I got sick of paying insane prices for fusion, mach 3 or sensor excel blades. The blades I have will cut through over a week's worth of facial hair growth in one pass with no tugging, and it won't leave any irritation or ingrown hairs. Once you buy a razor, brush and shaving bowl, you only ever have to buy soap and blades. The blades are ~33 cents each for the most expensive ones. I get 4-5 shaves out of each blade, meaning I could use one a month. Soap cakes are ~$3 each and last for a year on average.

By all means keep using your plastic junk, but you should consider switching to good shaving equipment. It makes a world of difference.

what has plastic got to do with it?

thats only the handle what the fuck does it matter, maybe its technique because i get a perfect smooth shave from cheap blades
    edited July 2010
    Pacino wrote: »
    what has plastic got to do with it?

thats only the handle what the fuck does it matter, maybe its technique because i get a perfect smooth shave from cheap blades

Because it's got that cheap, shitty plastic feeling, and then you throw the whole thing away after using it 1 time. I prefer to have a chrome-plated steel razor that will outlast me and only throw away the steel blade. It's better for the environment and better for my face.
  • StaplesStaples Regular
    edited July 2010
    taking care of your body is important, because jesus ain't coming back
  • Darth BeaverDarth Beaver Meine Ehre heißt Treue
    edited July 2010
    FFS it is just shaving...
    edited July 2010

Thanks for contributing.
  • Big baby jesusBig baby jesus Regular
    edited July 2010
    I like these ones but my face doesn't trust me with it straight_razor_0098.main.jpg
    edited July 2010
    Those have to be professionally sharpened, and then honed regularly. They're kind of a pain.
  • weathersweathers Regular
    edited July 2010
    I sharpen mine with a whetstone, it's pretty easy when you get the hang of it.

The curve of the blade (the curve across the width) makes the natural sharpening angle. Just get a cheap razor to practice with, because you will take chunks out of it and generally fuck it up to start with.

I still can't get a true close shave with one though, even with 3 or 4 passes. Stupid barbed wire facial hair.
  • rejectreject Regular
    edited July 2010

Don't be a dick. We should be encouraging good contributions like this thread.

I never knew there could be so much to shaving. Maybe one day when I have the money I'll invest in all that.
  • metameta Regular
    edited July 2010
    Awesome, simply awesome!
  • stresstres Regular
    edited July 2010

I never knew there could be so much to shaving. Maybe one day when I have the money I'll invest in all that.

This, this 'n this!
    edited July 2010
  • stresstres Regular
    edited July 2010
    Really glad I opened this thread, seems to be a very intuitive, long-term solution. Will definitely consider the investment when I see some expendable cash..
    edited July 2010
  • FemaraFemara Semo-Regulars
    edited August 2010
    This is a good thread. I've been using these terrible disposable razors for years and just the other day I almost bought one of the new Gilette Mach Pro 5's or whatever. Looking at the price of replacement cartridges alone, I thought there has to be a better way.

I've found my answer, thanks.
    edited December 2010
    bump for win and also plz add guide prefix :o
    edited December 2010

That is becasue there is not that much to shaving. :facepalm:
  • boggleboggle Acolyte
    edited December 2010
    Wet Shaving: A Guide
    You'll also want a post shaving balm. I like Nivea for men Sensitive after shave balm.

I have been thinking about getting some real blades like this guide, but so far the only thing I have is the Nivea after shave balm, and that one I can definately recommend!
  • DysgraphiaDysgraphia Locked
    edited December 2010
    Damn, you guys are hardcore tryhards at oversimplifying basic daily shit.

I'm good with bic. Never had a problem. Who the hell gets ingrown hair?
  • edited December 2010
    Added the prefix for you.

Shaving is sweet, although I haven't gone so far as to get all technical about it. I just use a pretty bland (but awesome) manual razor, some generic shaving foam and finish off with some Nivea afterwards.
  • RolfRolf Regular
    edited December 2010
    Rolf avoids needing a guide by using a rotary razor, unless it is the time of year when Rolf is able to not shave, then Rolf follows the Rolfish traditions.
    edited December 2010
  • RemadERemadE Global Moderator
    edited December 2010
    I have to shave every 2 days, but I can't grow facial hair for shit. I look like a 13yo boy trying to look older than he is. I have some odd Gillette one which vibrates. SHame I'm not a woman.

As for shaving annoying bits like chin or by the jaw/ear, then pull your skin and shave. Works for me.
    edited December 2010
    Lots of people get razor burn and ingrown hairs from using shitty products to shave with. If that isn't a problem, you're still paying more for your razors.

Even those shitty disposables you use are more expensive than my method. The cheapest plastic disposable razors I see on amazon are 43 cents each. I pay less than that for my feather blades and they last longer than your disposable blades. My feather blades are some of the most expensive ones you can buy, and they're still cheaper than using disposables. You can get decent double-edged razor blades for 8 cents each. 8 fucking cents each. You cannot get plastic disposable ones for that cheap.

The bottom line is you can save money while using better equipment to get a better shave. I doubt most people have even heard of wet shaving. It's not something many people do anymore, and it's not something people talk about. I made this guide because I learned about wet shaving and I enjoy doing it instead of using shitty razors. I made a guide to show others a way they could Reinvent Themselves.

If you like your own method, then fuck off and do it your own way. No one gives a shit what you do. There are many things out there that a lot of people don't know about, and totse is a great place to post them. If you don't like what I post, then fuck off. I'll lawl at you for using shitty razors while paying more for them than I do for high quality ones

Wow, someone is butthurt that most of figured out how to shave without them.
  • dr rockerdr rocker Regular
    edited December 2010
    The way I do it:

1. Sit in bath, begin to wash hair
    2. Rub shampoo lather on face
    3. Shave face
    4. Run hand over face to check for any missed spots
    5. Rinse.
    edited December 2010
    Wow, someone is butthurt that most of figured out how to shave without them.
    Your grammar needs work.

Also yes I am VERY butthurt gud job LOL!!! :o:o:o:o:o:o
  • HammmHammm Semo-Regulars
    edited April 2011
    I'm glad you've found it useful. I tell people about it every so often because it's really a great way to save money. There are things we do that cost a lot, and some of that money can be saved over the long term. Most guys don't think about spending $13 for 4 fusion cartridges. I used to get pissed about it, but I had no idea other options even existed. I did some research and then I did the math.

etc.

Basically all of this. I didn't actually realize that shaving could be enjoyable until I stopped using shitty plastic disposable ones...the fact that I'm saving money is just a bonus.
  • edited April 2011
    I use disposables and they're shitty, but I get by okay. I feel like maybe I shud check out razor blades if they're that cheap though.:D