How quickly do you get addicted to cigs?

edited December 2010 in Life
I don't currently smoke, but I was wondering how quickly I'd get addicted if I started. I'm guessing different people have different tolerance levels, but is there an average amount of days/weeks or anything like that?

Or what about your experiences - do you remember how long it took you to get hooked?

Comments

• acid_dropacid_drop Regular
    edited August 2010
    Quickly. And it's not a very appartent addiction until you find yourself smoking constantly. I smoke a pack and a half a day, and run 5 miles every morning.

My advice is don't pick it up, not because it's bad for you. But because it's gotten REALLY FUCKING EXPENSIVE. When I started smoking Marlboro's were around 3.20 a pack in my home town. Now they are like 5.30-5.50. And I live up near Chicago now, which means if I try to buy a pack in the city, I shit brix at 9.00 a pack. Fuck that shit.
  • CaesarCaesar Regular
    edited August 2010
    Well, I haven't really ever developed a physical addiction in that I can stop smoking for a couple of days without detecting any noticeable withdrawal. I'm probably hooked though. If I am in certain places or contexts, or if someone else is smoking around me, or if I have gone without for more than a week I tend to start fiending for a smoke.

I would say that if you start smoking to any degree,you probably won't stop anytime in the near future.
  • edited August 2010
    The reason I ask is because I enjoy smoking, it's relaxing and enjoyable to do occasionally. That's what I'd like to do - have the occasional smoke. My only worry is that this would turn into an addiction and I'd end up smoking all the time.
    edited August 2010
    Just because you don't get headaches or neasus from going without, doesn't mean your not addicted.

I get pretty agitated if I have to go a long time without smokes. That's only made worse since I smoke more now since comming back state side.

I'll ride my bicycle or motorcycle in the fuckin' rain to go get a back if I'm out :P
    edited August 2010
    trx100 wrote: »
    The reason I ask is because I enjoy smoking, it's relaxing and enjoyable to do occasionally. That's what I'd like to do - have the occasional smoke. My only worry is that this would turn into an addiction and I'd end up smoking all the time.

It will. No one starts out smoking a pack a day. We all started with the occasional cigarette. I can usually go without fine if I'm sober, but if I've been drinking, I start fiending hard.
  • StresFulStresFul Semo-Regulars
    edited August 2010
    Um, for me it was a gradual thing couple here a couple there just like yourself at this stage before i really realised it was a 30 a day habit or close there to, Iam trying to quit atm in the last twelve days i have had around 10 -12 ciggarettes ... some days im fine some days i really need a fucking ciggarette

ANYWAYS long story short DONT and i mean DON'T have one more ciggarette for "enjoyment" purposes dont even use tobacco for spin at $18 a packet its an expensive habit to take up, look at it as though a low income earner takes home $500AUD weekly here in Australia, if your a pack a day smoker $20 a day is a 5th of your daily income and you smoke more on weekends and days you dont work so realisticly your giving away a large percentage of your wage for nothing

Plus theres cancer and all those other conspiracys associated with smoking
    edited August 2010
    StresFul wrote: »
    Um, for me it was a gradual thing couple here a couple there just like yourself at this stage before i really realised it was a 30 a day habit or close there to, Iam trying to quit atm in the last twelve days i have had around 10 -12 ciggarettes ... some days im fine some days i really need a fucking ciggarette

ANYWAYS long story short DONT and i mean DON'T have one more ciggarette for "enjoyment" purposes dont even use tobacco for spin at $18 a packet its an expensive habit to take up, look at it as though a low income earner takes home $500AUD weekly here in Australia, if your a pack a day smoker $20 a day is a 5th of your daily income and you smoke more on weekends and days you dont work so realisticly your giving away a large percentage of your wage for nothing

Plus theres cancer and all those other conspiracys associated with smoking

20 bucks for a fuckin' PACK of smokes? Jesus christ, I thought my prices were nuts.
  • AM33NAM33N Acolyte
    edited August 2010
    I'm pretty sure you'll get addicted faster than you think. You won't realize it but when you start craving for cigs, you're done. As the other members mentioned before, smoking is an expensive habit leaving aside the health concerns. I smoked for almost a year and a half and guess what ? it turned out I wasn't smoking properly, lol. I found out you're supposed to inhale the smoke which I wasn't doing at all. I used to smoke and puff, repeat until cig is finished :- P Well, I was disappointed but glad at the same time. At least I saved myself from addiction and I learned how to do those smoke rings, pretty neat huh ? Conclusion, avoid it.
  • AltindAltind Regular
    edited August 2010
    As someone said, the addiction goes unnoticed. Some people get addicted after one smoke (without realising it) and others just don't get addicted.
  • blindbatblindbat Regular
    edited August 2010
    only weak minded people get addicted to things.
  • fanglekaifanglekai Regular
    edited August 2010
    I smoke cigars but don't feel addicted at all. I think cigars are different though. You don't inhale, and they're really an occasional thing. I hate the way they stink, and I only like good hand rolled ones, so once I run out of the ones in my humi, I'm done. Shit's way too expensive. Now cigarettes, I have friends who chain smoke. It's so disgusting. They finish one and light up another. They'll smoke 4 at a time. That's a habit I never want to have.
  • KentKent Acolyte
    edited August 2010
    I've recently stopped smoking cigarettes since i realised its not really doing much for me anymore. As someone said the prices are real fucked now so im glad i've stopped now.
  • StephenPBarrettStephenPBarrett Adviser
    edited August 2010
    I started stealing my dad's cigarettes when I was a freshman in high school. At first I'd take a couple a day and then it slowly became more. It took about a month for me I think.

I smoke pipe tobacco. It is extremely cheap compared to other types of tobacco and it tastes/smells good. My mom hates the smell of other tobacco but lets me smoke my pipe inside because she likes the smell.
  • MasturbatronMasturbatron Regular
    edited August 2010
    acid_drop wrote: »
    Quickly. And it's not a very appartent addiction until you find yourself smoking constantly. I smoke a pack and a half a day, and run 5 miles every morning.

My advice is don't pick it up, not because it's bad for you. But because it's gotten REALLY FUCKING EXPENSIVE. When I started smoking Marlboro's were around 3.20 a pack in my home town. Now they are like 5.30-5.50. And I live up near Chicago now, which means if I try to buy a pack in the city, I shit brix at 9.00 a pack. Fuck that shit.

1. Learn to roll
    2. Buy TOP brand tobacco (3.45 a pouch here)
    3. Roll your own
    4. ?????
    5. Profit!

But seriously, roll your own. It's retarded how much cheaper it is. One bag of TOP can last me all week, and I smoke like a mother fucker.
  • fanglekaifanglekai Regular
    edited August 2010
    Or just quit. That shit gets expensive no matter how you look at it.
  • MasturbatronMasturbatron Regular
    edited August 2010
    fanglekai wrote: »
    Or just quit. That shit gets expensive no matter how you look at it.

For me it's only a $4/week habit.
  • MooseKnuckleMooseKnuckle Regular
    edited August 2010
    fuck the nonsense, just start smokin so i can bum one
  • Mr.HappyMr.Happy Acolyte
    edited August 2010
    You don't get addicted that quickly. I've been smoking for years, and I could quit any time I want.

EDIT: For srs, the best way to go is simply to limit yourself to 0-4 a day. As long as you're somewhat strict with yourself - even when drinking - it's fine. I've only had one today, so I'm'a treat myself to a late-night cig. I've kept this up for over a year, and only broken it once in a fortnight-long spell several months ago. I don't have any problems not smoking for a few weeks when circumstances demand it, I just enjoy smoking. Plus, this way you still actually feel something off a cigarette.
  • DirtySanchezDirtySanchez Regular
    edited August 2010
    Pretty quickly. If your just smoking the occasional cigarette you'll be fine. I got addicted when I started buying my own packs after that it didn't take long at all. Dont start its expensive as fuck and when you run out it sucks hard. I miss the effect they gave me when I first started.
  • Doktor NickDoktor Nick Semo-Regulars
    edited December 2010
    I have had occasional cigarettes for a long time now. By that I mean about once every week or so, I'll have one. That's about it, I've never had a craving for one or anything, and it gets me a massive headrush for like 15 minutes. So I'm in no mood to make it a habit, or I know all the fun is gone. I just wish they didn't stink, I love smoking a pipe, shame it's so inconvenient.
  • MayberryMayberry Regular
    edited December 2010
    I don't smoke, but once in awhile, like if someone offers me a cig, I'll huff and I'll puff and I'll blow your house down.
  • DaSkipperDaSkipper Regular
    edited December 2010
    Took me a couple of months... Like 2 then again I'm a very over indulgent person.