So I saved the life of a goldfish today...

edited January 2011 in Spurious Generalities
As soon as I wake up in the mornings, I get out of bed and feed the fish. After doing so, I usually have a quick look in the tank to make sure that they're all alright and everything is running as it should be. However, when I had the daily check I noticed that one of the Goldfish had a stone stuck in it's mouth.

Usually the fish suck at the gravel in the tank and occasionally suck up stones, then spit them out again. This time however, it had managed to become lodged in it's mouth and he couldn't spit it out again.

I had to net the fish and sort of squeeze it's jaw together in order to force the stone out. I can't imagine if this was painful or not for the fish, but it did the trick and I put him back in the water. He's looking alright now.

And that my friends, is the story of how I saved the life of a goldfish.

Comments

• jamie madroxjamie madrox Sith Lord
    edited January 2011
    Cool story bro!
  • MayberryMayberry Regular
    edited January 2011
    I'm sure the goldfish would have done the same if you were choking :)
  • edited January 2011
    This makes up for all of the fish you killed when you flushed those eggs :o

Funny story behind that too - turns out the eggs weren't fertilized to start with. I put the remaining eggs which I found in the tank into a separate bowl in case they were to hatch, but they weren't fertilized and nothing happened. I feel better knowing that I didn't really kill anything.
    Mayberry wrote: »
    I'm sure the goldfish would have done the same if you were choking :)

I'm almost certain they would have done.
  • DirtySanchezDirtySanchez Regular
    edited January 2011
    Can goldfish be eaten? And if so what do they taste like.
  • edited January 2011

Actually, goldfish CAN be eaten. I think it's popular in Japan (seriously).
    edited January 2011
    trx100 wrote: »
    Actually, goldfish CAN be eaten. I think it's popular in Japan (seriously).

The problem is the Japanese do a lot of things which should never be done by sane or civillized man. Do you know of any other country's that eat the goldfish.
  • edited January 2011
    The problem is the Japanese do a lot of things which should never be done by sane or civillized man. Do you know of any other country's that eat the goldfish.

Like I said, goldfish are edible so I'm sure they have been eaten in other countries as well. Japan comes to mind because of the game they play over there which involves dunking your head into water and bobbing for goldfish, or something like that.
    edited January 2011
    Like I said, goldfish are edible so I'm sure they have been eaten in other countries as well. Japan comes to mind because of the game they play over there which involves dunking your head into water and bobbing for goldfish, or something like that.

Japan is one strange fucked up country.
  • edited January 2011
    I also recall a video in which Japanese women put goldfish inside their pussies, and shoot them out into a glass - still alive.
    edited January 2011
    I also recall a video in which Japanese women put goldfish inside their pussies, and shoot them out into a glass - still alive.

I saw that one. I thought they used eels?
    edited January 2011
    Goldfish are carp, and while pet fish aren't popular as food, they are edible in small amounts. Eating too much goldfish can cause Vitamin B1 deficiency.
  • Gary OakGary Oak Regular
    edited January 2011
  • dr rockerdr rocker Regular
    edited January 2011
    Goldfish are carp, and while pet fish aren't popular as food, they are edible in small amounts. Eating too much goldfish can cause Vitamin B1 deficiency.

Carp are consumed almost the world over. In Medevil Europe, monastries would have carp ponds. One year they would be flooded for the cultivation of carp, the next drained and used for pasture which would increase nutrients to promote water animals for carp to eat.

The water from one pond would normally be pumped or drained into another pond where fish would be moved too.

The ponds were normally man made - dug and puddled clay bottoms - puddling is working the clay to get an even layer of clay. They wouldtimes hide goodies in the clay an set the pigs on the clay, they would do most of the work.

A fairly forgotton art.
  • HelladamnleetHelladamnleet Banned
    edited January 2011

Actually, spic, in the 1920's college boys used to eat live goldfish to impress girls, spic. Maybe you'll use you're tiny spic brain before opening your spic mouth next time, spic.
    edited January 2011
    Actually, spic, in the 1920's college boys used to eat live goldfish to impress girls, spic. Maybe you'll use you're tiny spic brain before opening your spic mouth next time, spic.

I'm not a spic.
    edited January 2011
    I'm not a spic.

Prove that you aren't a spic, spic.

Also: inb4DirtySpicpoststherealdeffenitiononspic. I already know it originated as a racial slur towards Italians based on the phrase "No spekity english"
  • homeslice4700homeslice4700 Regular
    edited January 2011
    goldfish don't feel pain no do their memories last more than 5 seconds :-) So hes cool
  • edited January 2011
    goldfish don't feel pain no do their memories last more than 5 seconds :-) So hes cool

Actually, Goldfish memories can last anywhere up to 3 months. As for feeling pain - http://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/science-news/5219686/Goldfish-can-feel-pain-say-scientists.html

I wouldn't intentionally cause my fish pain/stress, but I saved his life so I guess that's better than some discomfort.
    edited January 2011
    Actually, Goldfish memories can last anywhere up to 3 months. As for feeling pain - http://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/science-news/5219686/Goldfish-can-feel-pain-say-scientists.html

I wouldn't intentionally cause my fish pain/stress, but I saved his life so I guess that's better than some discomfort.

Knowing is half the battle!
  • MantikoreMantikore Regular
    edited January 2011

• SlartibartfastSlartibartfast Global Moderator -__-
    edited January 2011
    forgive my ignorance but in what way did you save it's life? don't fish respire through their gills?
    edited January 2011
    forgive my ignorance but in what way did you save it's life? don't fish respire through their gills?

Don't fish eat through their mouths?
  • edited January 2011
    Can goldfish be eaten?
    GEE I DON'T KNOW, CAN YOU EAT MEAT?
    And if so what do they taste like.
    GEE I DON'T KNOW, WHAT DOES MEAT TASTE LIKE?

Fucking idiot spic.
    edited January 2011
    GEE I DON'T KNOW, CAN YOU EAT MEAT?

GEE I DON'T KNOW, WHAT DOES MEAT TASTE LIKE?

Fucking idiot spic.

THANK YOU! I thought I was the only one who thought he was a spic!
    edited January 2011
    Lol at the false belief that I'm a spic.
  • MantikoreMantikore Regular
    edited January 2011

they take in water through their mouths, which passes over their gills.
  • edited January 2011
    Don't fish eat through their mouths?

Yeah, they do.

I've had a fish die like this before actually. No one noticed in time, and I came home one day to find a fish floating at the top of the tank with a stone lodged in his mouth.
  • abrnabrn Abrn
    edited January 2011
    Life is very precious.
    edited January 2011
    I'm CPR Certified in Aquatic Resuscitation. I can bring back just about any fish given the time frame.
    edited January 2011
    I'm CPR Certified in Aquatic Resuscitation. I can bring back just about any fish given the time frame.

You just want an excuse to make out with fish.
  • edited January 2011
    You just want an excuse to make out with fish.

How about a better excuse - eating out a hooker.
    edited January 2011
    How about a better excuse - eating out a hooker.

icwutudidthar
    edited January 2011
    yeah they call me fish breath sometimes