ATTN: Hellish RE: Ads causing problems.

edited January 2011 in Help and Suggestions
Numerous users are experiencing lag issues because of the javascript used by the ads. NoScript should not be a requirement to view this website, I ask that you remove them.

Comments

• MayberryMayberry Regular
    edited January 2011
    Good to see it's not just me. Fix please. Thank you very much :)
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited January 2011
    By a Vote of two, I will remove it, until Hellish pops in :). I might find a workaround for it.
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited January 2011
    Removed, I added a message to notify Hellish who stole his ADs :).
  • edited January 2011
    Hmm, interesting replacement! I had assumed it was the unending ads inserted by my proxy causing applet crashes, glad to see it is fixable.
  • HellishHellish Regular
    edited January 2011
    Hmm. I've looked around and haven't found any other sites with issues. Possibly it could be a specific ad. Are you guys running computers from the 90s possibly?
  • abrnabrn Abrn
    edited January 2011
    Did removal of the ads solve anyones problems?
  • -SpectraL-SpectraL Will Faggert
    edited January 2011
    That's strange, because the ads do not slow me down at all. In fact I even click on them once in awhile and go a few links deep just to try and generate a bit of revenue here and Totse is still navigating super-fast. Every page and post loads in less than a second on my machine, and all I'm running is WinXP Corp with Pentium4, 1gig RAM and updated Firefox. For about the past month it's been this way for me without fail... super fast page loads every time.
  • HellishHellish Regular
    edited January 2011
    Im thinking possibly they don't want ads on the site. Someone do some Slowforeveryoneorjustme tests with and without ads.
    edited January 2011
    I'm quite positive they are filtering the ads in some way, either through security software, a firewall or some other third-party application, or perhaps their ISP is filtering the advertising URLS on the backend feed, allowing it, but taking time to process each one every time. It's gotta be some kind of filtering process going on there.
  • dr rockerdr rocker Regular
    edited January 2011
    Yeah, same speed for me ads or no ads. I have noticed (not recently, but it is still happening) that there is a jump when the page loads. It seems like its the server holding the request for the page so it loads in one rather than sending it a bit at a time.

2.2 ghz processer / 3 gb ram / vista / firefox with a few bolt ons

Will try it in ubuntu later.
    edited January 2011
    I get that "jump", too, but only when loading threads with many pics or vids in them.
  • fanglekaifanglekai Regular
    edited January 2011
    I don't notice any difference with adblockplus on or off.

Win 7 64bit FF 3.6.13
    core i5-430m, 4gb ddr3
  • Gary OakGary Oak Regular
    edited January 2011
    No problems from me. I don't know what everyone is bitching about. Maybe if they upgrade from Net-Fucking-Zero they won't have a problem.
    edited January 2011
    Gary Oak wrote: »
    No problems from me. I don't know what everyone is bitching about. Maybe if they upgrade from Net-Fucking-Zero they won't have a problem.
    This. People need to get jobs and buy a newer computer too. I don't understand why people refuse to upgrade a tool they use all the time. Check www.slickdeals.net. There you go, you can upgrade for $350.
  • HellishHellish Regular
    edited January 2011
    Before ads
    Domain name Size Load Time Average Speed per KB
    1 totse.info/bbs 104.33 KB 0.67 seconds 0.01 seconds
    2 totse.info/bbs 104.33 KB 0.63 seconds 0.01 seconds
    3 totse.info/bbs 104.33 KB 0.66 seconds 0.01 seconds
    4 totse.info/bbs 104.33 KB 0.66 seconds 0.01 seconds
    5 totse.info/bbs 104.33 KB 0.56 seconds 0.01 seconds
    6 totse.info/bbs 104.33 KB 0.61 seconds 0.01 seconds
    7 totse.info/bbs 104.33 KB 0.66 seconds 0.01 seconds
    8 totse.info/bbs 104.33 KB 0.57 seconds 0.01 seconds
    9 totse.info/bbs 104.33 KB 0.66 seconds 0.01 seconds
    10 totse.info/bbs 104.33 KB 0.57 seconds 0.01 seconds

After With ads

Domain name Size Load Time Average Speed per KB
    1 totse.info/bbs 104.36 KB 0.57 seconds 0.01 seconds
    2 totse.info/bbs 104.36 KB 0.61 seconds 0.01 seconds
    3 totse.info/bbs 104.36 KB 0.57 seconds 0.01 seconds
    4 totse.info/bbs 104.36 KB 0.6 seconds 0.01 seconds
    5 totse.info/bbs 104.36 KB 0.71 seconds 0.01 seconds
    6 totse.info/bbs 104.36 KB 0.57 seconds 0.01 seconds
    7 totse.info/bbs 104.36 KB 0.71 seconds 0.01 seconds
    8 totse.info/bbs 104.36 KB 0.57 seconds 0.01 seconds
    9 totse.info/bbs 104.36 KB 0.57 seconds 0.01 seconds
    10 totse.info/bbs 104.36 KB 0.66 seconds 0.01 seconds

Ads are now not Javascript based. Any better?
    edited January 2011
    It hangs for me for a second or two at the point in the screencap below. Its like the 'front end' loads right away but the content takes a few seconds.

2u9poaa.png

Could be the server being slow in pulling the content?
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited January 2011
    I honestly don't feel any difference nor I had any issues before but since I didn't touch the website code nor the forum settings I just narrowed the variable down to the ADs :). But still that message was a bit lulzy.
  • HellishHellish Regular
    edited January 2011
    WAIT, Look what its loading at the bottom bar of the FF page. Analytics?
    edited January 2011
    Was going to mention that but from what I have read that shit shouldnt really impact - maybe it does.
  • HellishHellish Regular
    edited January 2011
    Well, If the ads load but the rest of the page doesn't, I don't think its the ads?
    edited January 2011
    There's always that pause with Google Analytics while it picks your head, reads your emails, and finds out how old you are. Nothing to worry about.
  • HellishHellish Regular
    edited January 2011
    Dont forget your history.
    edited January 2011
    Hellish wrote: »
    Dont forget your history.
    Somehow it found out what I had for breakfast yesterday. I was just a little nonplussed, actually. The nerve of these people! Well, they'll NEVER find out what kind of toilet paper I use. Nevar! ;)
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited January 2011
    Clear cache and cookies.
  • edited January 2011
    Never noticed any slowdown at all when viewing ads. Totse is fast as fuck, but I still think we should ultra-fine tune it so it's even faster :D I wonder if that's possible...
  • edited January 2011
    The issue is with the javascript code that the ads were using. It hangs as dr rocker said. I can say pretty definitively that it was the code because the issue went away as soon as I blocked it. This is on a pretty decent laptop and Verizon Fios.

Plus ads suck. But that is in all entirety besides the point.
    edited January 2011
    Well... then why do some members not have any issues at all even when the ads are using javscript?
    edited January 2011
    -SpectraL wrote: »
    Well... then why do some members not have any issues at all even when the ads are using javscript?
    Better comps and connection :o
  • edited January 2011
    OK so here's something interesting - when running Google Chrome, the site loads just fine. However, when I'm running in Firefox there is a considerable amount of lag happening.
  • HellishHellish Regular
    edited January 2011
    I was planning on trying the other browsers but got sidetracked. Lemme check.
    edited January 2011
    I see the message for QKSZ.net in the bottom left of FF when the page is loading slow - I think thats the site the adds come from, so it could be their servers are under heavy load.
  • edited January 2011
    Any chance we could set the ads to load AFTER the rest of the site has loaded?