Smart People Do More Drugs. . .

Gary OakGary Oak Regular
edited January 2011 in Man Cave
Smart People Do More Drugs--Because of Evolution
Evolutionary psychologist Satoshi Kanazawa has this theory, which he calls the Savanna-IQ Interaction Hypothesis. Here's how it goes: intelligence evolved as a way to deal with "evolutionary novelties"--to help humans respond to things in their environment to which they were, as a species, unaccustomed. Thus, smart people are more likely to deal with new things and try them. Those new things seem to include drugs.
Why? Because, as Kanazawa explains, while "the use of opium dates back to about 5,000 years ago ... Other psychoactive drugs are 'chemical' (pharmacological); they require modern chemistry to manufacture." Psychoactive drugs, therefore, are evolutionarily pretty new to humans. Which means that smart people, according to the theory, will be more likely to take psychoactive drugs. That's true even if the drugs are bad for them: "[the Hypothesis] does not predict that more intelligent individuals are more likely to engage in healthy and beneficial behavior, only that they are more likely to engage in evolutionarily novel behavior."
Link.
It's really just a theory, but you can use it to tell people your just smarter than them.:hai:

Comments

• DfgDfg Admin
    edited November 2010
    Thor Dammit, you just gave everyone enother excuse to get high.
  • edited November 2010
    Thats awesome, hahaha. Brb, buying durgz.
  • 13371337 Regular
    edited November 2010
    I must be a genius because I started pretty early, and I'm still going strong.
  • DexingsmotpokerDexingsmotpoker New Arrival
    edited December 2010
    Correction,

Smart people play pokemon.

/thread.
  • SliceSlice Regular
    edited December 2010
  • LittleFootOnLSDLittleFootOnLSD Semo-Regulars
    edited December 2010
    Lol an interesting idea that I LIKE to believe :D If we believe that smarter people do drugs unanimously than we probably arn't any better than the bastards who think only idiots use drugs though :(
  • proudclod9proudclod9 Regular
    edited December 2010
    Slice wrote: »
    anti-drug-fail.jpg

That's just bad planning. haha
  • DirtySanchezDirtySanchez Regular
    edited December 2010
    meth.addict.jpg

^^What a beacon of intelligence:rolleyes::rolleyes: Plenty of smart people do drugs (like myself) but also some of the biggest retards on earth use them. Your average drug user isnt generally a genius but they're are a lot of smart drug user. My point being there is no correlation between drug use and intellect.
  • Gary OakGary Oak Regular
    edited December 2010
    meth.addict.jpg

^^What a beacon of intelligence:rolleyes::rolleyes: Plenty of smart people do drugs (like myself) but also some of the biggest retards on earth use them. Your average drug user isnt generally a genius but they're are a lot of smart drug user. My point being there is no correlation between drug use and intellect.
    She's a woman though.
    edited December 2010
    Gary Oak wrote: »
    She's a woman though.

True but to be honest I've met more retards that use drugs than smart people. That's because there are more stupid people than smart people. I'm not denying smart people are likely to use drugs but the same goes for idiots too.
  • abrnabrn Abrn
    edited December 2010
    Smart people played pokemon as a child smoked weed as a teen psychedelics as a young adult and become CEOs and famous writers and shit as a mature adult. Its because experiencing different realitys gives you world experience that a normal person can never have. Also serotonin and dopamine and shit send brain activity levels through the roof.
  • RemadERemadE Global Moderator
    edited January 2011
    I did shrooms most weeks throughout my first semester last year at Uni (2nd year) and got 70%+ on all my essays.

Suck my balls, FRANK.

Frank-drugs-are-illegal.jpg

Ps. I am not telling people that shrooms improve your performance. It took multiple trips where I spoke to the Gods and travelled back in time, almost paralysed on my floor, but I got a better grade and gave better presentations than most of the smart, drinker cunts in my class.
  • Darth BeaverDarth Beaver Meine Ehre heißt Treue
    edited January 2011
    True but to be honest I've met more retards that use drugs than smart people. That's because there are more stupid people than smart people. I'm not denying smart people are likely to use drugs but the same goes for idiots too.

Yup, you admitting to drug use is proof of concept.
  • SplamSplam Acolyte
    edited January 2011
    Being smart is a separate evolutionary trait from curiosity.
    Curiosity is what makes people try drugs, and also invent badass shit.
    But being smart without being curious is just fucking boring.
  • AmieAmie Regular
    edited January 2011
    I'm pretty smart and curious, but I don't do any drugs. Nothing, not even alcohol. But that's because I don't trust my mind. Somehow I'm convinced it would make me completely messed up if I did drugs.
  • SplamSplam Acolyte
    edited January 2011
    Amie wrote: »
    I'm pretty smart and curious, but I don't do any drugs. Nothing, not even alcohol. But that's because I don't trust my mind. Somehow I'm convinced it would make me completely messed up if I did drugs.

Probably through years and years of school and government propaganda.

To know your mind the best possible, you must know how it reacts to different substances. Simply experimenting with drugs can make you a better person overall.
  • AmieAmie Regular
    edited January 2011
    Splam wrote: »
    Probably through years and years of school and government propaganda.

More like years and years of seeing my whole family struggle with mental ilnesses while trying to keep it together myself. It's a known fact most drugs can be a trigger for several mental ilnesses, and I've got the genetic predisposition and I grew up in a pretty crazy environment. Not gonna risk disturbing the balance I've managed to build up during the years.
  • edited January 2011
    What about Cannabis? That's probably the least likely to affect you, right?
  • SplamSplam Acolyte
    edited January 2011
    More like years and years of seeing my whole family struggle with mental ilnesses while trying to keep it together myself. It's a known fact most drugs can be a trigger for several mental ilnesses, and I've got the genetic predisposition and I grew up in a pretty crazy environment. Not gonna risk disturbing the balance I've managed to build up during the years.

Ummm, no, that depends entirely on the mental illness.
    Drugs are more likely to cure mental illnesses, actually. Or atleast prevent the symptoms.

For example I got diagnosed with ADHD a year ago and was prescribed amphetamine (dexedrine) for it. In all other circles this is considered taboo. It cures my lack of attention and lazyness, which are indeed classified as "mental illness".

For pain (including mental pain) you've got opioids. For boredom and mild depression you've got marijuana. For lazyness and lack of attention you've got amphetamines. For learning more about one's own mind you've got LSD.
    And naturally, you've got nicotine for stress, caffeine for waking up in the morning, and alcohol for socializing.
    All drugs have their place in society, all have their purpose. Psychiatry, as I see it, hasn't documented all "disorders", including for example boredom, and thus doesn't use all available drugs.
    But don't get me wrong on the term "disorder", as 95% of the general population fits into at least one "disorder". Disorder basically means any evolutionary trait that doesn't fit into modern society.

The human body produces drugs of its own, such as testosterone, adrenaline, any many others. Using artificial drugs, or drugs found in plants, can be used to skip a step in evolution. Surprisingly, drug use coincided with civilization.

What I'm trying to say, perhaps your family's mental illness caused drug use. And not the other way around. If you are capable of responsible drug use, it could have huge benefits for your life.
  • edited January 2011
    Protip: Drugs fuck you up. If you dont want to be fucked up dont do drugs.

Simple as that

Some people can alter their conscience through means that dont require chemicals, to each his own
    edited January 2011

Don't blame the drugs. Blame the weakness of you family members. I've had a drug problem before but I dealt with it. It wasnt the drugs fault it was my own for being an idiot. I still do drugs but not to an idiotic level. Mainly just alcohol and weed sometimes.
  • SplamSplam Acolyte
    edited January 2011
    Protip: Drugs fuck you up. If you dont want to be fucked up dont do drugs.

Simple as that

Some people can alter their conscience through means that dont require chemicals, to each his own

Every negative has a positive. If drugs can fuck you up, drugs can unfuck you. Which is when they're called medicines.
    A medicine for coughs, a medicine for attention, a medicine for stress, a medicine for socializing, etc.
  • edited January 2011
    Splam wrote: »
    If drugs can fuck you up, drugs can unfuck you.

If you know how to use them properly that is, most people who have never used before dont.

Why try to convince someone to alter their minds via chemistry when they are content with their life already?

I dont deny the ability of drugs to aid people in certain situations, good god no. Iboga can cure heroin addiction, mdma is wonderful for ptsd, psilocibin can be used for OCD and clear headaches, lsd is being researched for treatment of psychosomatic disorders among other psyches and other various disorders. Drugs can be very helpful for people, maybe this one doesnt feel comfortable self medicating? Oh and cough medicine fucks me up hahahah
  • CaesarCaesar Regular
    edited January 2011
    I think it depends on a few things. Most of the smartest and most creative people I have known have used or use drugs, but same with most of the dumbest people I know. Drugs speed things up and push things to extremes, and if you pay attention and have the proper equipment you learn from it... if not it fries your brain. It varies greatly with specific drugs but I think if nothing else you can generalize that drugs make states of conscious perceivable that otherwise might go unnoticed if you aren't turned on.

People who don't do any drugs or simply drink infrequently usually tend to be mediocre though, in most ways. Fuck straight edge pricks.
  • MarijuanasaurusMarijuanasaurus Regular
    edited January 2011
    Sure smart people do drugs. But what about successful people?
  • 13371337 Regular
    edited January 2011
    You mean like Sigmund Freud and Sasha Shulgin?
  • CaesarCaesar Regular
    edited January 2011
    Not to mention basically every half decent musician and writer born after 1900 (and a fuck load before that)
  • SplamSplam Acolyte
    edited January 2011
    Of course.
    Hitler did meth. And he was the most powerful person in history (but not more powerful then the others combined).

Obama smokes. I'm sure he drinks coffee and alcohol, occasionally, as well.

Bottom fact is, nearly everybody uses drugs whether they realize it or not. It doesn't really matter what kinds of drugs.
  • edited January 2011
    Sure smart people do drugs. But what about successful people?

Successful people do smart drugs.
    edited January 2011
    You should probably reread that post you quoted a few times

Ok I did. Whats your point?