Totse End Of Days Shelter Index

DfgDfg Admin
edited January 2011 in Spurious Generalities
I got this idea from Trx110. You know like in those Hollywood movies you see people moving to a safer place because some Zombies are after them? Although it might seem unrealistic but in future that can happen. This thread will serve as a guide and a resource thread that will equip you with proper knowledge about Nuclear and other man-made attacks and how best ot survive them. It will also, feature a never before seen contact list and some guides to safe house around the world.

We aim to create a life line for Totseans who might in future need some help moving to a safer place. I will personally compile most of the things but It would be great if everyone mentioned some safe houses that they know and some good tips for protection etc.

For example, since I live in Pakistan, I will give pointers and locations of safe houses that could be used in time of need and I will also mark points which should be avoided at all costs. We will use Google Maps and GPS readings to make this resource accurate and we will try to get this right.

Lives of future and present Totseans depend on it.

Things we need;
Volunteers.
Google Maps.
Address of the locations to avoid and use.
General Address of Army, Police etc stations.
Places to steal food etc.
Location based tips and pointers.
A global contact network incase Internet goes out.
A way to archive this guide and keep it updated.

Comments

• edited January 2011
    How are we going to keep this thread organized? If people start posting replies, information is going to get spread out over multiple pages and could be buried underneath useless posts, etc.
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited January 2011
    trx100 wrote: »
    How are we going to keep this thread organized? If people start posting replies, information is going to get spread out over multiple pages and could be buried underneath useless posts, etc.

Everything in this thread will be moved to the CMS in the end. I will use my first post for editing. Consider this a work room and CMS the final publishing center.
  • edited January 2011
    Interesting idea, but the biggest drawback I see is that it would require an internet connection to access. We would need to distribute it so that it could be kept on individual computers, but that leaves the contact list open to anyone.

Interesting idea though :thumbsup:
  • edited January 2011
    Vineman wrote: »
    Interesting idea, but the biggest drawback I see is that it would require an internet connection to access. We would need to distribute it so that it could be kept on individual computers, but that leaves the contact list open to anyone.

Interesting idea though :thumbsup:

Once the guide is complete, it should be printed or something. You could print it on your home printer, take it to the library, or something.
  • VizierVizier Regular
    edited January 2011
    Should something like this happens reverting back to old methods of communication like mail and even carrier pidgeons could work.

Also, does anyone know how to get radios working? Old radios would be pretty useful because internet connections are likely to go down. Hell, even telegraphs could work.

Communication would be the most important issue IMO, seeing we're widespread across the globe.

Also, you could steal food and raid big stores and whatnot, but believe it or not they'll eventually run out. People would need to know how to grow their own food, how to hunt and fish and have at least basic survival skills.
  • MayberryMayberry Regular
    edited January 2011
    This could be potentially interesting. I'll post what I know about my area later. As others have said, I'm wondering how we'll keep in contact.
  • thewandererthewanderer Regular
    edited January 2011
    but I don't know too many safe places in Jersey to hide :p

Hahaha fucking this ^
  • RemadERemadE Global Moderator
    edited January 2011
    OH MY FUCKING GOD DFG!! I am a real Post-Apocalyptic (PAW for you pros) kinda guy. I have lists of locations in the South of England to avoid and maybe see for salvage after a nuclear or Zombie attack.

I will write it up in draft and submit it here in neat form.
  • LSA KingLSA King Regular
    edited January 2011
    Well all need to meet up in Jericho, Kansas.

/Googles Jericho,KS directions

*Nothing Found*

Awww

FUUUU_RE_FFFFFUUUU_Pizza-s508x387-44250.jpg

Been watching too much TV :(
    edited January 2011
    Reserved
  • edited January 2011
    LSA King wrote: »
    Well all need to meet up in Jericho, Kansas.

/Googles Jericho,KS directions

*Nothing Found*

Awww

Been watching too much TV :(

I might not be correct on this, but I think Kansas was one of the plains states where they built a bunch of missile silos back during the Cold War. Depending on what sort of disaster it ends up being, Kansas may be a place you want to stay far away from as it might be attacked for its military significance.

We should have a few separate, complete plans for different scenarios. These are the ones I feel are most likely, and a bit of expansion for clarity. I'm trying to keep this as realistic as possible, because while it's great to dream about zombies, it's never going to actually happen.

Nuclear war
    Traditional "all countries firing nukes to take out their enemies before they get nuked too" conflict seems likely. Winds and overall bombing density will probably ensure that no zone is "less irradiated" than another. Traveling long distances to find shelter would be a danger, as it would increase radiation and element exposure for little actual gain. It would be better to just find a safe shelter as close as possible.

Infection
    This will present as a pandemic-scale infection. Depending on what sort of infection and how it spreads, moving to find shelter may be an option. If it is airborne then it will spread worldwide as it travels via plane. 16 hours to anywhere in the world, baby. The most likely candidates for this sort of scenario would be:

-Plague (bacteria). Russia has been toying around with genetically modified plague since the Cold War, has special MIRV's designed specifically for the weaponized deployment of genetically modified plague and smallpox.

-Smallpox or Influenza (viral). As mentioned above, smallpox has been weaponized by Russia. It is arguably the worst virus in the history of the Human species (emerged in 10,000 BC) and has a fatality rate of 60-80%. Though eradicated in 1979, Russia and the United States continue to have stockpiles of the virus.
    Influenza, or the flu, isn't a terribly strong virus on its own, but it does have the capacity to mutate quickly and effectively into a much deadlier version of itself (as seen with swine flu and avian flu). Both smallpox and influenza are airborne.

-Creutzfeldt–Jakob disease (prions). Most people know of Creutzfeldt–Jakob disease as "mad cow disease". It is incurable and invariably fatal and is the most common among the types of transmissible spongiform encephalopathy found in humans. Prions are especially interesting in my opinion, because they're just misfolded proteins. When a prion enters a healthy organism, the prion form of a protein causes existing, properly-folded protein to convert into the disease-associated, prion form; the prion acts as a template to guide the misfolding of more protein into prion form. It's a fairly exponential reaction, and leads to literal holes in your brain where whole areas of nerve cells have died off. Effects are dementia, leading to memory loss, personality changes and hallucinations, and eventual death.

Global natural disaster (Asteroid or the super-volcano under Yellowstone)
    Pretty self explanatory, would cause large amounts of particulates in the atmosphere, which blocks sun, etc. Would be similar to the Cretaceous–Tertiary extinction event.

As you can tell, disease is more my forte. Hopefully someone else can expand upon the nuclear and geological scenarios.
  • dr rockerdr rocker Regular
    edited January 2011
    If you are in Winchester or around it, you are going to die. When I used to live in Basingstoke, everyone and his dog would hunt in the woods at Winchester. I would give it a day and a half and the unwashed of Basingstoke will be upon you. Another day and the masses of Slough.

If you want to stay in the area, I suggest The Candovers - most people would think it was just a bunch of farms growing things they dont know about that they would not want to process anyway - the unwashed tend to stay away as they see it as 'propper countryside' with wild sister shagging farmers and lots of guns and burning people inside straw cages.

This should help everyone a little.

http://rapidshare.com/files/440830569/Emergency_Preperation.pdf
  • VizierVizier Regular
    edited January 2011
    You should come here instead. There are no environmental disasters like storms, floods, earthquakes, etc; just heat, which is good for surviving in winter because it never snows nor goes below zero degrees Celsius.

The mountains are relatively near for shelter and one of the seas with the most natural diversity in the world is next door; both abundant places for food and other resources.

On the downside it's right below USA; or it could be an upside depending on how you see it.
  • MayberryMayberry Regular
    edited January 2011
    I'll post things as they come to me. Here's the first of many about Vancouver and surrounding areas.
    vancouverskytrainmap.jpg

Vancouver has an extensive elevated rapid rail system called Skytrain that provides quick access to many locations around the city. Stations are not too far apart, providing for quick on/off as needed. In a time of crisis, you can expect them to be packed. You'll have to decide for yourself whether to use it or not at this time. The rest of the post will deal with taking advantage of the Skytrain in the aftermath of the crisis. These methods will be for ideal conditions and as there are so many things that can happen, you will have to adapt them as events develop.

Currently, the Skytrain has three lines: Expo, Millenium, and Canada. Direct transfer between all three lines can be accessed at the Waterfront. Direct transfer between the Expo and Millenium lines can be accessed at the Broadway-Commercial and Columbia stations. The map above also indicates the Westcoast Express. This is a regular commuter train that runs all the way out to Mission, far away from the city. Following the tracks could be one possible route out of the city.

Now in the aftermath, if the trains are running safely (they still arrive at stations, indicating that the tracks are intact), you can take the trains for quick access to wherever you plan to go. However, if no trains arrive, this could be due to the tracks being out somewhere or the power is out. If the power is out, all the electronics in a station should be out as well, but toss something onto the tracks to double check. If there's no power, you have free roam of the tracks. Otherwise, you'll have to walk alongside them. You can also ride a bicycle or motorcycle if you have one.

Why take the tracks instead of the ground? The elevated tracks provide cover and a good vantage point. They also offer an alternate to road bridges for crossing water. Stations aren't too far in between, so you'll always have somewhere to get off if needed. Bring a rope just in case; there are plenty of structures jutting out that are easy to loop a rope onto.

While the Skytrain is essentialy an elevated rail, there are underground portions, and the entire Vancouver portion of the Canada Line is underground. There are some accessways scattered through the tunnels.

If you're looking to escape the city, make your way to the water. Stations will be in close proximity to a marina/harbour, and you can probably find a boat there. To the south, the Fraser River and its arms will contain mostly industrial harbours, while to the north, you will find mainly private and commercial harbours in the Burrard Inlet and English Bay.

If you can pilot an airplane or helicopter, one of the branches of the Canada line reaches Vancouver International Airport. You can also find seaports around the Burrard Inlet.
  • skyclaw441skyclaw441 Regular
    edited January 2011
    Reminds me vaguely of the Zoklet/TOTSE house thread back at Zoklet. :facepalm:
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited January 2011
    ^This is Global and each user can talk about his own shelter place.

Thanks for the awesome contributions.
  • dr rockerdr rocker Regular
    edited January 2011
    20jqyl1.png

Consider the area highlighted in red my area. Its around about 900 square miles, and while there are places within there where I will have acces to perminant shelter (horizontal mine shafts, forgotton stone buildings in the wilds etcetera) I will not be sharing their exact locations here.

To do so would be foolish.

The area has been chosen as it is an area I have massive personal knowledge of, having grown up walking across it. There are deer, rabbits, hares, trout and water in abundence.

There is farms that grow a massive variety in crops and I daresay that in most circumstances, viable seed will be found on these farms for years to come. In the North of the range, we have the largest man made forrest in Europe, so timber should not be a problem.

Although the range does not cover a coastal area, trips to and from the coast should be simple as there is a lot of open ground between the range and the coast - in the first instance to boil seawater to get salt, in later times to trade with any coastal settlements that have grown.

All in all, the list of things to take is massive. While I will be taking stock of food, they will be small - 2 weeks to a months worth. It is tools that will be required - axe, machete, hammer, saws, nails, screws, rope, cord etcetera.

While some of this is ready to go, a lot of it will have to be scavenged as it would be impractical to take, even with a large van.

If you are in the area after the collapse, shout 'totse' and I probably will not kill you right away.
  • proudclod9proudclod9 Regular
    edited January 2011
  • skyclaw441skyclaw441 Regular
    edited January 2011
    What ever happened to that?

I dunno, I think it eventually fell apart due to lack of serious funding talk. There were a ton of ideas as to the structure, and nuclearrabbit had bought land in Western Texas. There were a whole host of disagreements over structure, power, etc. I think it's totally dead now that Zoklet has gone to shit.
  • proudclod9proudclod9 Regular
    edited January 2011
    All I know is, something has to give--one way or another--and I'd rather be prepared than not...but like it was said, nowhere is safe in NJ. lawl
  • edited January 2011
    I thought the plan was to commandeer an island, grow our own food sustainably and air drop/deliver it to the totse soldiers stationed on the mainland. After we hit up the rendezvous point for blunts and beers of course.

We'd need some sams if we're going with the island though for sure
  • LSA KingLSA King Regular
    edited January 2011
    Vineman wrote: »
    I might not be correct on this, but I think Kansas was one of the plains states where they built a bunch of missile silos back during the Cold War. Depending on what sort of disaster it ends up being, Kansas may be a place you want to stay far away from as it might be attacked for its military significance.

True. Actually a ton of the Western states have hidden silos. I know there are nearly 2,000 nuclear silos alone in the Pacific Northwest region (1,000+ in Washington and 400+ in Oregon alone). For some reason they decided to build out the nuclear silos more toward the central region or western states probably due to its close proximity to Russia, and the fact that if Russia destroyed the major cities we'd still have isolated regions with nukes to fire back.

Wouldn't be a bad idea to have a couple of nukes in your backyard though especially if you got a good, well organized group together.
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited January 2011
    Well, in times of great fuck ups you would require something that's portable and can be used for quick getaways from slow crawling zombies or flesh eating rabbits. You should consider getting these ASAP.

bikevest.jpg
    bikevest2.jpg
    bikevest3.jpg
  • abrnabrn Abrn
    edited January 2011
    Bikevest could come in quite handy.
    edited January 2011
    Also Dr Rocker, whereabouts do you know in Blazingstoke? My ex and I used to live in the Oakridge area
  • edited January 2011
    Winchester and surrounding areas:- South-East of England

Winchester is a fucking ancient City which was once the Capital of England. There are now multiple districts which house either large estates or Council shitholes. Large open expanses and the South Downs Way surround the City, so in an emergency, if you are out of the City, then you should survive that bit longer. This was gathered after living in the City for a short while and going to numerous parties there.

An aerial view of Winchester (satellite view - Google Earth)
    Key:-
    * Yellow = Railway
    * Off-white = High St
    * Orange = Densely populated area
    * Red = My hideout (abandoned warehouse)
    985f4b114939293.jpg

Ordnance Survey map
    Key:-
    * Skull 'n' crossbones = My hideout (abandoned warehouse)
    296f6d114939296.jpg

Locations of interest:

> Shops (food, drink, supplies), Name:Location
    * Sainsburys, Lower Brook St
    * Iceland, Lower Brook St
    * Tesco, Industrial estate (Winall)
    * Waitrose, Weeke
    * Greggs the Bakers/Pasty shops/Cafe's/Restaurants, All along the High St

> Weapons, Name:Location
    * Hunting supplies shop, Southgate St
    * Millets/Blacks/Outdoors stores, High St
    * Police Station, North Walls
    * Prison/hampshire Police HQ, Romsey Rd
    * Wealthy houses, all over but especially towards the South of the City and the outskirts
    * Army Bases, Towards the North and West of the City

> Places to hide out, Name:Location
    * South Downs Way, Chilcombe
    * Abandoned warehouse, Chilcombe
    * University Grounds/Halls, Romsey Rd/Sparkford Rd
    * Hosues, All over
    * Barracks, Westgate St
    * Bushes/Tunnels/Bridges, All over and around

The abandoned warehouse
    > Location: Chilcombe
    > Size: Approximately 1,200m x 1,200m
    > Contains: Hiding places, well defended places with the ground floor locked and only secure ladder access through the top, tyres, metals, wires, glass, lead pipes

Pics:

dfd294114939299.jpg

fc8771114939300.jpg

0cebc3114939304.jpg

This place is vast, easy to hear noises echo in and areas are very secure. Loads of trash about which could serve loads of functions if you trawl through it. Also located near very wealthy houses and an Army range.

Local knowledge:-

* Winnall Moors can be used to catch fish on the River Itchen (Trout) and grow vegetables/scavenge.
    * Motorways link Winchester with other major cities such as Southampton. So do the railways which you can follow.
    * The City is easy to navigate and tell where North, South, East and West are as the City walls are still intact.
    * Secret(ish) cellar under the Old Vine pub and plenty of high-profile hiding spots such as the famous Cathedral and Medieval buildings.
    * The Police HQ for the County is located in the City.

Will edit with moar info
  • fr0st_Bytefr0st_Byte Sumpin' c00L
    edited January 2011
    Things like knowledge on how to make home-made bows and arrows would be very important for obtaining food from small animals such as birds, rabbits, squirrels, etc. Fish traps and a way of making fishing poles and lines would be important as well. Also none of these items are any good if you do not have the knowledge of what prey you are looking for.

Snare, dead-falls, and pit-falls are all great ideas for acquiring food also. these are simple to make and materials can be found all over nature.

I also read somewhere a while back about the top ten safest places to be in the event of a man-made disaster. A lot were in Cali, I think one of the more higher locations on the list was the sequoia forest in Cali. Somewhere with a moderate climate would be a must seeing as how a hard winter can kill even the most prepared survivor.

Viable seed would be another very important item to have seeing as how you will not just be able to order them any longer. Believe it or not P. Somf poppy seeds would be a great idea. They can be a small food staple but also Opium would be very important as a painkiller if certain surgeries must be done in the field.

Distilling potable water will be of the up most importance. You can go without food for quite sometime but not very long at all without clean drinking water. Also without very certain things from nature, you would need some synthetics to purify water. IE: plastic. You would need some type of plastic sheet and tubing to use a solar still.

Also later into the event distilling alcohol is quite important. All the way back into ancient times alcohol has been used as a very strong bartering item.

On a lighter note, three things I will be taking with me is knowledge of distilling alcohol, cannabis seeds, and poppy seeds. I will be happy :D
    edited January 2011
    WTF - That was posted by RemadE.

Maybe he wasn't signed in?

That has happened to me before when I tried to quote a post and I wasn't logged in.
  • edited January 2011
    Guys, it is posted by the original poster, but seeing as we were talking about advertising &T, I decided to post it under an anonymous name. Fancy taking my name out of your posts so we can make it anonymous again ;)
  • edited January 2011
    Guys, it is posted by the original poster, but seeing as we were talking about advertising &T, I decided to post it under an anonymous name. Fancy taking my name out of your posts so we can make it anonymous again ;)

Shit, terribly sorry dude.

Frost Byte - would you mind deleting your post, or at least editing it in some way? I have deleted mine.
    edited January 2011
    Shit, terribly sorry dude.

Frost Byte - would you mind deleting your post, or at least editing it in some way? I have deleted mine.

Yeah, I'll take care of that.