Should moderators be allowed to moderate outside of their forums?

LuxJigabooLuxJigaboo Regular
edited January 2011 in Help and Suggestions
I do not think that they should be allowed to do so except perhaps in certain circumstances such as bots or spam. However for each forum it is the responsibility of each individual forum moderator to keep it clean. Allowing moderators to infract users or enforce site rules outside of their forum seems a little excessive, after all, that is why there are global moderators that have a bit more time/power/responsibility.

Vote and discuss.

InB4 moderators vote to maintain power :p

Comments

• DailyDaily Regular
    edited January 2011
    What? Isn't this already how moderation works on this forum?
  • fanglekaifanglekai Regular
    edited January 2011
    Not all the sections have a mod. Until all sections have a mod, all mods need to make sure shit is under control in the unmoderated sections.
  • SlartibartfastSlartibartfast Global Moderator -__-
    edited January 2011
    naa... over-moderation is a bad thing. We're not running a prison.

EDIT: maybe for the modless sections.
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited January 2011
    Moderators should only mod their own sections. Global Mods are there to handle other sections. Mods are allowed to ban spam bots in other sections. Use the report tool to report problematic threads. No need to wander in other sections. Always remember you're a regular on other sections.

If need arises a new mods get appointed immediately. I am forced to delay things because the core moderation team needs some more training before new members can be added.
    edited January 2011
    We have unmoderated sections and LSA and BK aren't on 24/7. Please appoint mods for the unmodded sections.
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited January 2011
    fanglekai wrote: »
    We have unmoderated sections and LSA and BK aren't on 24/7. Please appoint mods for the unmodded sections.

I am in the process of doing just that.
    edited January 2011
    Excelente.
  • FoxFox Semo-Regulars
    edited January 2011
    Moderators should only mod their own sections.
    No.

Global Mods are there to handle other sections.
    Mods are allowed to ban spam bots in other sections.
    Wasn't DS warned for doing this?

Use the report tool to report problematic threads. No need to wander in other sections. Always remember you're a regular on other sections.
    Despite being on the forum long enough to be trusted with mod powers. Wouldn't you know your shit by then? :facepalm:

If need arises a new mods get appointed immediately. I am forced to delay things because the core moderation team needs some more training before new members can be added.
    I think you just contradicted yourself.
    3ch
  • edited January 2011
    I was under the impression that mods only take care of their own sections anyway... If I see something which needs moderating in another section (such as SG or HB), I'll take care of it.

Is that right? Because that's what I've been doing.
  • LuxJigabooLuxJigaboo Regular
    edited January 2011
    trx100 wrote: »
    I was under the impression that mods only take care of their own sections anyway... If I see something which needs moderating in another section (such as SG or HB), I'll take care of it.

You are an editor, which is similar to a global moderator. Regular moderators can only control posts and threads within their forum, but can still infract or ban anyone on the entire forum similar to the way it is on zoklet. I just thought that is what the global moderators were for.
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited January 2011
    trx100 wrote: »

vozhde wrote: »
    You are an editor, which is similar to a global moderator. Regular moderators can only control posts and threads within their forum, but can still infract or ban anyone on the entire forum similar to the way it is on zoklet. I just thought that is what the global moderators were for.

It's the same way everyway. I might be able to fix that problem but it will only handicap the local mods. Trx110 and Mayberry are able to ban anyone and they're Global Mods. So, in reality we have 4 GM already. I see no reason for a Mod to step out of the line and venture into modding other sections as a moderator unless it's flooding or spam bots.

We have to maintain a system otherwise everyone will just go their own way and that will result in chaos. Plus, I am available all the time.
  • edited January 2011
    Pakistanis sniff cum
  • edited January 2011
    Moderators gonna moderate
    hopefully as little as possible

To be honest, you're right. Mods should be here to guide people, not lay the smack down on anyone who makes a small mistake. Slight, but effective moderation is a good thing.
  • MantikoreMantikore Regular
    edited January 2011
    Mods should have the power to cover all the boards, but these powers would only be used in the most dire of circumstances, spam attacks and whatnot. Generally speaking, the assigned moderator should be the only one who does stuff. Even things like obvious troll threads and advertisements should be left to the mods.

I know that people would raise their eyebrows about the possibility of moderators overstepping their area of authority, but thats where the administration needs to be careful about their mod choices and where the community and fellow mods need to be vigilant about those who have the powers of infraction
  • Darth BeaverDarth Beaver Meine Ehre heißt Treue
    edited January 2011
    Mods should only have access to the areas they are responsible for. Users who frequent certain areas need to know what to expect in terms of temperament and tolerance from the mods of a given section. If any mod can mod any section it has too much potential to create problems born of inconsistent methodologies.