Ask Country related questions

RemadERemadE Global Moderator
edited January 2011 in Spurious Generalities
24.2%20earth-from-space.jpg

After being inspired by this thread asking Dfg about Pakistan I thought I would expand it worldwide. Ask questions about countries that ToTSEans are from and we can get an insider perspective.

Here's one to get the ball rolling. I saw someone here say they live in South Africa. What's the racism situation like over there, even though segregation/apartheid was gone years ago?

Comments

• AD2011AD2011 Acolyte
    edited January 2011
    Americans:

You are seen as having a wide gap between rich and poor. Images of deserted neighborhoods are used in newspapers, television and websites...why not convert these areas into edible gardening spaces and have the unemployed work at them?

^^Why don't you appear to come up with ideas like that for yourselves?

You seem to be home to a lot of drug users, is this true? How many (currently illicit) drug users would there be in say a group of 100 people?

A lot of documentaries portray American's as Christian nutjobs...how many of these people are there around the place?

From what I've seen in movies and television only teenagers and the poor and blacks seem to drink alcohol - How accurate is this portrayal?

Where does your country make its money besides entertainment industry? It seems you consume more than you produce - Accurate?

How does it make you feel that things like McDonalds, Coca Cola and Hollywood have infected a large number of foreign Countries?

Why is it that only self righteous celebrities in America seem to care about air, water and ground pollution?

What's with all the guns?

Why expect distant, isolated Countries to play by your governments failed rules?

Why do you have an attitude against the French when it was them that provided you with the tools to win the war against Britain?

Your Country settles disputes by waging wars...is the Country really so stupid as to not know how to talk things through first?
  • acid_dropacid_drop Regular
    edited January 2011
    AD2011 wrote: »
    Americans:

You are seen as having a wide gap between rich and poor. Images of deserted neighborhoods are used in newspapers, television and websites...why not convert these areas into edible gardening spaces and have the unemployed work at them?

^^Why don't you appear to come up with ideas like that for yourselves?

People don't work for free.

A lot of documentaries portray American's as Christian nutjobs...how many of these people are there around the place?

A lot of Christians. But most aren't wackos. Depends where you are. I grew up in the midwest and I was surrounded by Crooked Catholics. I'm an Atheist myself, and engaged to a Jewish girl. Go figure.
    From what I've seen in movies and television only teenagers and the poor and blacks seem to drink alcohol - How accurate is this portrayal?

Very inaccurate. We may not be one of the highest consumers of booze per capita. But we still consume a shit load of alcohol. I know I do. And I'm neither a teenager, or a bum. Or black. Everyone drinks man. Especially the Catholics.
    Where does your country make its money besides entertainment industry? It seems you consume more than you produce - Accurate?

Research, design, architecture. Same as any other. Unfortunatly we outsource a lot of work.

We make our money with WAR MOTHER FUCKER :angry:
    How does it make you feel that things like McDonalds, Coca Cola and Hollywood have infected a large number of foreign Countries?

Good. It only infected countries because they buy it. If you slobs didn't eat and drink the shit, it wouldn't exist over there. Don't be daft. Personally I don't eat the filth, but you mother fuckers do.
    Why is it that only self righteous celebrities in America seem to care about air, water and ground pollution?

Are we only talking about within the celebrity category? If so, then just think about it.

If we are talking about the entire country, you're as naive as you seem to think we are.
    What's with all the guns?

Some people enjoy shooting guns. So what? I do, and I haven't killed anything since getting out of the war. Guns don't make people killers, they already posess that mindset. If you want to kill someone, you can do it with countless objects around you right now. It happens.
    Why do you have an attitude against the French when it was them that provided you with the tools to win the war against Britain?

I don't have a problem with the French. That anti-french sentiment actually pissed me right the fuck off. We were attached to a unit of French Paratroopers over in Afghanistan. Aside from the language barrier(I know some french), they seemed pretty cool.

Rednecks were pissed off that they didn't support the war in Iraq. Fuck, I didn't either and I was a soldier.
    Your Country settles disputes by waging wars...is the Country really so stupid as to not know how to talk things through first?

You can't negotiate with Regimes you put in power. It doesn't work.

You can be as judgmental as you want. But don't make fun of rednecks like DirtySanches, picking on retards isn't nice.
  • SlartibartfastSlartibartfast Global Moderator -__-
    edited January 2011
    The rest of the world regards you as in decline economically and militarily do you get that same feeling within the US?

Why don't you guys have a Public Broadcaster like the BBC?

How's the public transport in the US, can you catch a train to wherever you want?

Have you guys ever thought about the surreal way you can join the army at 17 but are not allowed to drink until you're 21? Has there ever been a serious attempt to either lower or raise either one?

If a referendum on outlawing firearms was to happen tomorrow what would _really_ be the most likely outcome?
  • GallowsGallows Regular
    edited January 2011
    These are all generalizations...
    The rest of the world regards you as in decline economically and militarily do you get that same feeling within the US?
    I don't think the average person is aware of how in debt the U.S. is.

Why don't you guys have a Public Broadcaster like the BBC?
    We have the Public Broadcasting Service. http://www.pbs.org/
    How's the public transport in the US, can you catch a train to wherever you want?
    From what I've experienced, it's awful anywhere but the major cities.
    Have you guys ever thought about the surreal way you can join the army at 17 but are not allowed to drink until you're 21? Has there ever been a serious attempt to either lower or raise either one?
    Yeah, I hear about that all the time. I think the drinking age used to be lower on military bases. Now it's not. The high drinking age is relatively new in the country's history though. A lot of states are against it, but if a state lowers its drinking age, then the US government will withhold federal transportation money.
    If a referendum on outlawing firearms was to happen tomorrow what would _really_ be the most likely outcome?
    We'd shoot those fuckers.
  • edited January 2011
    Question for any user from anywhere; How long do you have to work to buy a pint of beer at an average drinking establishment in your country?

IE; I make $15\hour, and a pint costs on average $5, so I work 20 minutes to buy a beer.

I am curious as to whether this will stay fairly constant, with countries with higher wages having more expensive beer, and ones with lower wages cheaper beer, making the length of time one needs to work to buy one fairly consistent.

C/O

"no one wants to know about Canada, fine, one day when you're all not looking we will activate our sleeper agents and take control of the beer supply."
  • acid_dropacid_drop Regular
    edited January 2011
    Question for any user from anywhere; How long do you have to work to buy a pint of beer at an average drinking establishment in your country?

IE; I make $15\hour, and a pint costs on average $5, so I work 20 minutes to buy a beer.

I am curious as to whether this will stay fairly constant, with countries with higher wages having more expensive beer, and ones with lower wages cheaper beer, making the length of time one needs to work to buy one fairly consistent.

"no one wants to know about Canada, fine, one day when you're all not looking we will activate our sleeper agents and take control of the beer supply."

I like this actually. Don't know where you stole it from, but it's my new system for economics. Wage/beer. Awesome.
  • AD2011AD2011 Acolyte
    edited January 2011

The federal minimum wage here in Australia is $15 per hour costs I think $3.20? for a 425ml glass of keg beer at my local.
  • edited January 2011
    federal minimum wage:$7.25
    12 pack: free when you do a run on a 7/11
    beat that foreigners :o
  • dr rockerdr rocker Regular
    edited January 2011

Now that is a question that is a real leveller of men - a real inputs / outputs question.

In my day job, I am sallaried, but it works out around £14 an hour (min wage here is £5.93). Private consultancy work I charge £32 / hour - I could make as much in a week working half the time I do doing private, but would not get the benefits (pension, sick pay, holiday pay, courses paid for etc) - I turn down 95% of the private work offered as I like my free time - I would also have to pay a hell of a lot more in legal cover and insurance if I only did private (in case I fucked up - not that I would, but people will take you to court for a stinking fart).

A beer here is anywhere beweent £1.70 - £4, depending on where I drink. Average is probably £2.50.

So at a day job rate, I work 10 minutes 42 seconds for a pint. Normally drink a pint in 20-30 minutes so I guess I earn faster than I drink.

Redundancy is coming fast tho, I could work in my field but work away from home for the £32 an hour and have 50 hours a week everyweek, but I will stay local and do 7-12 hours of that and retrain in another area - have my eyes on skilled manual work and a particular area where it will take a grand to get qualified and two grand on tools.

My wife earns near double of what I do tho, so I could stay at home all day and do what the fuck I like - as long as I was doing something - digging the garden, chopping wood, fixing cars, she would not mind.

I am a very lucky man.