Why isn't Linux more commercially used?

edited March 2011 in Tech & Games
Well?

Why don't more organizations and schools use it instead of Windows?

Comments

• MayberryMayberry Regular
    edited September 2010
    My high school used Linux cause they were too cheap to pay for Windows.

I guess the thing is that it requires a lot of upkeep, especially if your employees are stupid :o
  • seanicusseanicus New Arrival
    edited September 2010
    Because a lot of districts don't know it exists, and because the students don't want it (because they've been on windows their entire life).
  • SlartibartfastSlartibartfast Global Moderator -__-
    edited September 2010
    The uni i go to has a lot of linux computers.
    Only people studying IT or engineering can access them (they don't want to deal with linux support)

Linux is not used a great deal because a lot of businesses/schools rely on custom build software, these are usually windows only. also MSoffice/autoCAD/every financial software ever wriiten.

Also "no one gets fired for buying IBM" comes into play.
    What benefit would linux bring to the table? Why risk using something non standard? If something fucks up under windows it's MSs fault. if something fucks up under linux - it's your fault for not going with MS.

finding technical staff who know linux is difficult. finding consultants who would recommend linux on non-servers is even more difficult - their reputation is on the line.
  • KatzenklavierKatzenklavier Regular
    edited September 2010
    1) People are idiots. Windows and Macs are designed to be as idiotproof as possible. Some dumbass is likely to enter sudo rm rf/ and blow up washington.

2) Linux isn't marketed so nobody uses it.

3) Linux is nonstandard. There are so many different distributions it's madness.

4) Linux is unstable. Companies don't want to delete fucking everything.

5) Most programs don't run on linux. Photoshop, UPS Worldship etc.
  • DysgraphiaDysgraphia Locked
    edited October 2010
    With so many distributions which one to use?

Besides, it goes against the principles of capitalism. Microsoft deserves it's throne as the most largely used OS in the world.

Many business applications only run on Windows and the transition would be painfully difficult.
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited October 2010
    Well, enterprises prefer Linux and most hardcore or educated users prefer using Windows and Linux together.
    virtualboxtotse.JPG

Linux isn't used widely in Pakistan because we don't have any morals when it comes to stealing MS softwares and no one really checks what the local population is using. However, most organizations which are linked to International companies are forced to use Linux because it's cheap and quit powerful IMO.

Right now,I am using Linux in Virtualbox and I plan to add CentOS,Solaris, RHEL and Unbreakable Linux to my OS collection. I find it easier to run these OS's via Virtualization since I don't really have much use for them, apart from testing things and documenting stuff. I would have migrated sooner but my system wasn't good enough. Even now it's just barely able to run them. But I plan to add a big ass hard disk and more RAM in few weeks.

There isn't a Linux trend on the Internet, most of the users prefer Macs or Windows. Those who prefer Linux already use Windows or Mac. Schools and Universities teach Linux but they never touch any new OS. It's like using Red Hat 9 or 10. They're always using the outdated releases.
  • bornkillerbornkiller Administrator In your girlfriends snatch
    edited October 2010
    The uni i go to has a lot of linux computers.
    Only people studying IT or engineering can access them (they don't want to deal with linux support)
    As do a lot of ours. Most of the main edu here use linux servers.
  • angryonionangryonion Just some guy
    edited January 2011
    The alignment machine I use at work is linux based.
    http://www.hunter.com/alignment/proalign_sys/index.cfm
    The more expensive machines use vista but the cheaper units use linux.
    I asked the service tech who just updated our machine if they are still going too use windoz, and he seems too think that they will be using linux on all there stuff very soon because it works so well.
    I do not know what flavor linux is used but it looks like a custom build.
    http://www.affordableautomotiveequip.net/hunter-aligners.php
  • kfc v lotkfc v lot Regular
    edited January 2011
    I think I probably imagined this but I was always under them impression that most companies servers could well have imagined it..
  • BaconPieBaconPie Regular
    edited January 2011
    It is, you just don't see it because of the whole marketing thing. My department in University pretty much solidly uses Linux and some of the lecturers use Macs. The machines all dual boot into Windows but if you boot into it then you'll probably be laughed at.

Servers mostly use some form of unix variant (the number is over 60%) which mea
    ns most of the internet. I'll say that again. MOST OF THE INTERNET.

Microsoft have the business user (IT) market with Office (excel is fucking good) and the PC GAYMER market with DirectX (sound/graphics/input/output API) which they have somehow convinced everyone that it's better than OpenGL. Maybe it's the name...

Either way, it's going to cost a lot of money to get all of that staff retrained. As for the casual user, people don't like change so if they can use what they're using at work then they will. Plus it's the only other user friendly option to OSX and that's too expensive for most people.
  • dr rockerdr rocker Regular
    edited January 2011
    Some of the worlds major financial institutions and insurance companies run on linux based servers and software - not because its cheap - it is not - employ a Wondows Sys Admin and employ a Linux Sys Admin - one of them is going to earn near double the other one does, I will leave it up to you to guess which one.

One of the main reasons companies use windows is because people are familiar with it. Its a training thing. Now, a lot of linuz GUI's are designed to be like windows so people can pick them up easily, but they are different enough that if you are shit using windows, you will fail with linux.

Added to that, a lot of software just will not work on linux - companies that have word processor and spreadsheet integration also write their programs with MS integration in mind - things like open office just wont work with them running on a windows platform and I sure as shit have never seen MS word on a comercial linux machine - due to the contracts MS have, you enter an enterprise agreement for MS operating systems and MS office is thrown in if not for free, but a very cheap price.

Buying MS office to run on a linux based operating system would cost at least as much as buying windows and having office chucked in for free.

Its like Beta Max - it was better than VHS, but VHS stole the market.
  • bornkillerbornkiller Administrator In your girlfriends snatch
    edited March 2011
    Yeeep, there are a LOT of Linux backend servers in operation.

Consider this, though - Microsoft doesn't just sell software - they've built a whole industry out of certification to use and administrate that software. There are fewer recognised *nix training and certification bodies, and they're not centralised like MS.
    Hmm! Thatś a good point....I see a profitable opportunity there.
    Thanks mang...:cool: