Find Psychoactive Fungi Near You!!!!!

edited January 2011 in Life
Follow these rules when hunting any organism:

1. Know the diet/nutritional habits of your prey.
2. Know the habitat of your prey. (One and two are kinda the same in in non-mobile organisms)
3. Know the optimal temperature and timing of your target.
4. Most importantly ... NEVER EVER EVER EVER EAT AN UNIDENTIFIED MUSHROOM!!!!!1 If you can, always get it identified by an expert (or two, or three, or 3,742 if you can).

Lern2SpaorPrint

Which Psilocybin Mushroom(s) Grow in my Area

Guide to P. cinctulus
SubbedHunter's Guide to Hunting and Identfying P. cinctulus

Official 2010 P. ovoidcystidiata Thread

Official 2010 Florida Thread

Visit These Links for More Mycological Info
http://www.shroomery.org/forums/postlist.php/Board/3
http://www.mushroomexpert.com/
http://mushroomobserver.org/

How to Identify Mushrooms to Genus III: Microscopic Features (Courtesy of Alan Rockefeller's private File Server):
Intro
Ch. II: Laboratory Techniques
Ch. III: Chemical Reagents
Ch. IV: Hyphae
[url="http://www.megaupload.com/?d=8JH4FDQY] Ch. V: The Pellis[/url]
Ch. VI: Trama
[url="http://www.megaupload.com/?d=NO3LKTBO] Ch. VII: Cystidia[/url]
[url="http://www.megaupload.com/?d=WIRSJPA2]Ch. VIII: Basidia[/url]
[url="http://www.megaupload.com/?d=EV3HKX37] Ch. IX: Basidiospores[/url]

Comments

• mashlehashmashlehash Regular
    edited July 2010
    Good post. P. Cinctulus are actually one of the two active shrooms that grow in my area.
  • EbolaEbola Acolyte
    edited July 2010
    I found lotz of Liberty Caps (Psilocybe semilanceata) in the woods around where I live. They grow in the same places as the years before, so people have their own secret "hunting grounds".
    They tend to be easier to find if you eat the first few you find :)
  • jamie madroxjamie madrox Sith Lord
    edited July 2010
    Thats so weird, I find shrooms growing all the time, in a tub, in my closet.
  • edited July 2010
    Thats so weird, I find shrooms growing all the time, in a tub, in my closet.

How do you hunt for the right closet??? I've searched closets for yeaaaaarsh to no avail. If only ....
  • edited July 2010
    Ebola wrote: »
    I found lotz of Liberty Caps (Psilocybe semilanceata) in the woods around where I live. They grow in the same places as the years before, so people have their own secret "hunting grounds".
    They tend to be easier to find if you eat the first few you find :)

You live in Europe or the PNW? And WTF? In the woods? They are semi-coprophilic saprotrophs that grow in fields. You obviously are confused. I didn't catch the part before.
  • EbolaEbola Acolyte
    edited July 2010
    You live in Europe or the PNW? And WTF? In the woods? They are semi-coprophilic saprotrophs that grow in fields. You obviously are confused. I didn't catch the part before.

Yes, I live in Europe (Denmark) and not the slightest confused :)
    They can be found abundently in Danish forests from late summer to the first frost. Some claim (also here in DK) that they can only be found in pastures and fields (esp. where cows have grazed), but tell that to the ´shrooms. The ones I have found (kilos over the years) didn´t seem to care.
    Worth noting though is that the Danish forests are relativly newly planted (less than 200 years) and there are a lot of deer.
    edited July 2010
    They can be found abundently in Danish forests from late summer to the first frost. Some claim (also here in DK) that they can only be found in pastures and fields (esp. where cows have grazed), but tell that to the ´shrooms. The ones I have found (kilos over the years) didn´t seem to care.
    Worth noting though is that the Danish forests are relativly newly planted (less than 200 years) and there are a lot of deer.

Are liberty caps potent or no? My friend in the UK says he picked many liberty caps but it took quite a bit to actually trip off of.
  • EbolaEbola Acolyte
    edited July 2010
    mashlehash wrote: »
    Are liberty caps potent or no? My friend in the UK says he picked many liberty caps but it took quite a bit to actually trip off of.

I would say yes. It is the most potent mushroom in Europe. When I take them, I use them dried. About one gram is usually enough to get a fun buzz and to get tripping I would take 3-5 grams.
    I have only hallucinated from them a few times though and never "seen" anything that wasn´t there. I have only "seen" existing things distorted, moving/pulsing, forming patterns or changing colours.
  • metameta Regular
    edited July 2010
    Excellent post! It will be very helpful for my upcoming hiking trip.
  • edited July 2010

I stand corrected :D. From what I hear they also like sheep dung a lot, too. When you said the woods, my experiences told me to assume you meant growing from wood or some other forest byproduct. I hope you find many in your days. Man I've heard some n00bs lecture me on finding libery caps saying the grow on tree stumps while proceeding to post a picture of a Coprinellus sp. with the caption "ThEsE R M4G1C, NO?"
  • edited July 2010
    I would say yes. It is the most potent mushroom in Europe.

That is a technicality I think held by P. azurescens. Just my opinion. But yes almost all sources state P. semilanceata to be "Moderately to Highly Active".
  • AnonymousAnonymous Regular
    edited July 2010
    Very useful. :)
  • edited July 2010
    Would someone care to go ahead and sticky this?
    edited July 2010
    Would someone care to go ahead and sticky this?

I agree.
  • DeadHamDeadHam Acolyte
    edited July 2010
    this is an excellent thread, I vote sticky. I mean, when would this become unvaluable... never!
  • edited July 2010
    3. Know the optimal temperature and timing of your target.

To elaborate upon this further:

To know the habits of a creature implies an understanding of adaptability (or the lack thereof), the behavior of the organism in conditional changes, and particularly in organisms in kingdoms other than Animalia (and others capable of homeothermia), microclimates. For instance, in a mulch spot in my yard, Pluteus spp. start popping up in the afternoon and grow all the way into the morning. Even if well watered, they seldom come up in the height of the afternoon. They love that high humidity and those low temps as they have little substance to them. So note (if you can) the relative humidity (RH) and temperature when you find any patch. Doing so can help you to understand your prey of choice better.

HumidtyChartTotse.png
  • edited July 2010
    89818.jpg

89817.jpg

89833.jpg

89834.jpg'

Wouldn't surprise me if they were active. These are ones from 6/17, the last time my patch was stirring until now. We've had a dry spell. Growing from well decayed wood, not soil.
    edited July 2010
    89818.jpg

89817.jpg

89833.jpg

89834.jpg'

Wouldn't surprise me if they were active. These are ones from 6/17, the last time my patch was stirring until now. we've had a dry spell.

Why would go about just saying they're active when you don't know? They look to bruise blue a tiny bit. You should get an ID at the shroomery.
  • edited July 2010
    mashlehash wrote: »
    Why would go about just saying they're active when you don't know? They look to bruise blue a tiny bit. You should get an ID at the shroomery.

Sincerely, thank you for questioning me. You're doing the right thing.

http://mushroomobserver.org/47023?q=1BQX

Those pics were of the Pluteus I was speaking of. Saprotrophic in well decayed wood (that mulch has sat to rot in direct sun for over three years), salmon-pink spore print (the decayed wood substrate separates it from Entoloma, which is terrestrial in habit; Entolomas also sometimes tend to be funkier colors than plain brown. It should be noted that despite looking macroscopically similar, Entoloma and Pluteus are in two different families.). The bruising also makes me suspect it to be active. I wish I had some literature on Pluteus spp. ... It was ID'ed by Alan Rockefeller on Shroomery and MO.org. I am no expert, but I NEVER call something a genus (let alone species) unless I believe it to be true, trying to back it up with evidence. I have spores to almost every specimen found and/or photographed on aluminum foil and labeled for further examination.

Anyways, it would take a lot of them to do anything. I just like the concept of magic mushrooms growing my yard. Also, several Pluetus spp. (and probably several, if not many, undocumented species) are well known to be active and are very widely distributed. I love mah shrooms, brah. Please pardon me though as I did wrong by not giving the source link and more information. I sincerely apologize.

According to weiliiiiii (a well known shroomer who has probably dosed more times on P. weilii than both of us combined), he states he has heard (note the this is partially hearsay, but also based on experiences) that Pluteus salicinus ( http://mushroomobserver.org/48255?q=1BQi ) bruises about as often as Panaeolus cinctulus.

EDIT: Here is the shroomery thread:

http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/12758511/page/1

Here's another Pluteus (the print to the one in the picture I don't have :(, but I have one of a similar specimen grown from the same spot. If you can find free mulch at your local dump I suggest you get a mulching pitchforck and take advantage of the opportunity ;)

http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/12640381/page/2
  • ateate Acolyte
    edited July 2010
    Excellent.
  • edited July 2010
    Just wanted to say a couple of Lactarius came up by Quercus alba today.
  • blindbatblindbat Regular
    edited December 2010
    i want to try shrooms :( but my friend says its not in season
  • edited January 2011
    blindbat wrote: »
    i want to try shrooms :( but my friend says its not in season

It can be right now if you live in Orlando.
  • edited January 2011
    Goddammit
    I hate living in the desert.
  • edited January 2011
    Goddammit
    I hate living in the desert.

Don't be so pessimistic, brah.
  • RemadERemadE Global Moderator
    edited January 2011
    I just grow my own. It's nice to sit in class and think "fuck yeah, 2 days to go" :cool: