Thinking of starting boxing

NumberjumboNumberjumbo Regular
edited January 2011 in Man Cave
Have about two years of BJJ, about a year MMA and couple of months kickboxing.

Haven't done anything in a while. What do you guys think? Anyone who's been in my position? What did you do?

Hopefully I can get a good discussion in here, not a gay fanboi thread.

Serious reply's/discussion please.

Comments

• RolfRolf Regular
    edited January 2011
    Rolf suggests doing it, unless it doesn't work for you, then Rolf suggests discarding it, states Rolf.
  • edited January 2011
    Can't get a gun in your shitty colony brah?
  • Professor ElmProfessor Elm Regular
    edited January 2011
    Can't get a gun in your shitty colony brah?

What did he say about keeping faggotry off the thread?
  • edited January 2011
    Boxing is definitely a great think to take up. I've never done it (I wanted to, but I totally left it too late to start) but everywhere I've read/asked, people have said it's a good idea.
  • NumberjumboNumberjumbo Regular
    edited January 2011
    trx100 wrote: »
    Boxing is definitely a great think to take up. I've never done it (I wanted to, but I totally left it too late to start) but everywhere I've read/asked, people have said it's a good idea.
    Never too late to start. How old are you?
  • edited January 2011
    What did he say about keeping faggotry off the thread?

Yeah, you're right, rational self defense doesn't belong in a thread about boxing.
  • edited January 2011
    Never too late to start. How old are you?

17. It seemed as though most people started when they were much younger and have been doing it for most of their life. I reckon I'd suck balls at it if I started now.
  • edited January 2011
    17. It seemed as though most people started when they were much younger and have been doing it for most of their life. I reckon I'd suck balls at it if I started now.

Maybe someday you'll be so good at boxing my 125 grain 9mm +P JHP Corbon rounds will just bounce right off you.
  • RolfRolf Regular
    edited January 2011
    Maybe someday you'll be so good at boxing my 125 grain 9mm +P JHP Corbon rounds will just bounce right off you.

Maybe someday you'll learn that going to the shooting range won't condition your body the same way boxing will, :facepalm:'s Rolf.
  • edited January 2011
    Pretty much exactly in your position, and I took up boxing a couple months. Great for cardio, and as far as stand up combat is concerned, punches are probably the most important, and boxing is (arguably) the best way to get those skills despite what type of fighting you wanna do.
  • edited January 2011

Dude I started at 19, who gives a fuck, you should never let your ideas about your age get in the way of what you wanna do with your life
  • JestAJestA Regular
    edited January 2011
    ok boxing with gloves is fun but i like bare knuckle boxing. it is alot funner and you learn realy fast how to avoid getting hit. its also funner because of all the blood annd the reputation u get from it.
  • duuudeduuude Regular
    edited January 2011
    I would love to start boxing but I'm too lazy. I can't even make myself get on a schedule of light jogging everyday.
  • edited January 2011
    Rolf wrote: »
    Maybe someday you'll learn that going to the shooting range won't condition your body the same way boxing will, :facepalm:'s Rolf.

Maybe someday you'll hear about ISPC out there in Rolfheim.
  • GallowsGallows Regular
    edited January 2011
    I started pretty late too, and I think it was a great decision.
  • edited January 2011
    Gallows wrote: »
    I started pretty late too, and I think it was a great decision.

Can you punch bullets out of the air yet?
    edited January 2011
    Nah man, newfags aged like 25-30 were turning up at my BJJ gym. Wasted all of them haha.

But nah 17 is not too late to start. I'd say that's the perfect age to get into it. I'm 19.
    edited January 2011
    duuude wrote: »
    I would love to start boxing but I'm too lazy. I can't even make myself get on a schedule of light jogging everyday.

Me too. Smoking weed is more favourable at the moment.
  • edited January 2011
    This worthless discussion of sports belongs in Go Team, not W&C
  • LSA KingLSA King Regular
    edited January 2011
    This worthless discussion of sports belongs in Go Team, not W&C

It's Weapons and Combat not Guns and Knives. Legally your fists carry Assault and Battery charges and can be considered assault with a deadly weapon if you have a background in martial arts, MMA, or other forms of fighting styles if brought into the court of law.

Quit reporting every damn thread that doesn't go your way, it's getting old, fast.
  • edited January 2011
    LSA King wrote: »
    It's Weapons and Combat not Guns and Knives. Legally your fists carry Assault and Battery charges and can be considered assault with a deadly weapon if you have a background in martial arts, MMA, or other forms of fighting styles if brought into the court of law.

Quit reporting every damn thread that doesn't go your way, it's getting old, fast.

I didn't report this thread, I reported the abuse of the report feature by the OP of this thread. Perhaps you should calm down a tad and learn basic reading comprehension.

Furthermore, boxing is an Olympic SPORT, not a combat system or martial art.
    edited January 2011
    Fatty mc Fuck off ok
  • edited January 2011
    Fatty mc Fuck off ok

iuOiD.jpg
    edited January 2011
  • LSA KingLSA King Regular
    edited January 2011
    I didn't report this thread, I reported the abuse of the report feature by the OP of this thread. Perhaps you should calm down a tad and learn basic reading comprehension.

Furthermore, boxing is an Olympic SPORT, not a combat system or martial art.

You might want to look at that "Olympic" sport list again, as variations of martial arts are considered "Olympic" as well. It's besides the point, the purpose and the content was not meant, nor intended, to be based in a sporting manner therefore whatever debate is nullified.

My bad on the first part, the rest of it stands. You're acting like a child in this discussion. Prior to my response you were in the right until you reported a reported post. You're both wrong. Cut the shit out.
    edited January 2011
    Yes, now back to discussion.

Who here's got boxing experience?
  • edited January 2011
    LSA King wrote: »
    Prior to my response you were in the right until you reported a reported post. You're both wrong. Cut the shit out.

My report was a valid report of the abuse of the report a post feature. Are you saying that the post I reported wasn't an abuse of the feature meaning we now have precedent to report posts for "this faggot is pissing me off"?
  • acid_dropacid_drop Regular
    edited January 2011
    Keep discussion on topic.
  • edited January 2011
    How nice of flaccid_cock to join in on the discussion, and to delete posts, if I'm not mistaken similar such actions recently ignited quite the shitstorm.
  • MayberryMayberry Regular
    edited January 2011
    Deleting posts is abusing mod powers. Discuss this in another thread if you wish. Posts have been undeleted as per Dfg's rules.

Put this thread back on track by generating discussion if so desired.
  • acid_dropacid_drop Regular
    edited January 2011
    Ok man. Whatever. Have fun with this one.
    edited January 2011
    If i was mod i'd ban the fuck out of fatty
  • DirtySanchezDirtySanchez Regular
    edited January 2011
    If i was mod i'd ban the fuck out of fatty

Why? Just because he causes you butthurt is no reason for a ban. He's actually a pretty lulzy troll.
    edited January 2011
    He's new. And my oldfagness isn't used to his newfagness, like who is this guy? Never heard of this fag before.

But then again, I'm a pretty lulzy mod.
  • edited January 2011
    m8 the only thing new about me is the name, I trolled you back when ya boy GMT was on rotteneggs and thought it was the shit. As I recall you were even easier to wind back then, which is kind of surprising consider how easy you were to wind last night. Also 4chan slang? Really?
  • edited January 2011
    Also, you're not a lulzy mod because you're not a mod at all. So I guess that does make your statement lulzy
    edited January 2011
    m8 the only thing new about me is the name, I trolled you back when ya boy GMT was on rotteneggs and thought it was the shit. As I recall you were even easier to wind back then, which is kind of surprising consider how easy you were to wind last night. Also 4chan slang? Really?
    Who the fuck's GMT? And I never went on Rotteneggs.
    Also, you're not a lulzy mod because you're not a mod at all. So I guess that does make your statement lulzy
    I'm a pretty lulzy mod on other forums.

idiot

your mother is a lulzy statement
  • edited January 2011
    Who the fuck's GMT? And I never went on Rotteneggs.
    Wait... you're not slim? Could have fooled me.
    I'm a pretty lulzy mod on other forums.
    neat!
    idiot
    lol y u mad tho
    your mother is a lulzy statement
    is she?
    edited January 2011
    Wait... you're not slim? Could have fooled me.

neat!

lol y u mad tho

is she?
    idiot