Should Guest Posting Be Limited To Certain Forums?

Darth BeaverDarth Beaver Meine Ehre heißt Treue
edited January 2011 in Help and Suggestions
While DFG and the rest of the admins have given mods the thread ban tool to prevent users from using/abusing their freedom of speech to destroy otherwise good threads with purposeful off topic non-contributing posts the tool seems to be useless so long as guest posting is permitted in the serious discussion forums.

In certain forums this is not a problem as they are designed for LULz, off topic rants, and other types of posting that might not be productive or consider a contribution in some other forums.

I propose that in view of the fact that thread bans are a tool that is in place that guest posting be disabled in all but the following forums;

• Spurious Generalities
  • Half Baked
  • I Found it on the Web
  • Bitch and Moan
If anyone can think of other forums that might be included in this list please post which one and why you feel it should be on the list.

For anyone who disagrees and feels guest posting should be permitted site wide please tell us why you feel that way. (Try to be more original that "Freedom of Speech, FUCK YA!!!)

I just don't see the point of the thread ban tool if guest posting is permitted in all forums.

Comments

• edited January 2011
    I was actually going to make a thread on guest posting. I think it should be turned off, or even limited like you said in your post. It's really pointless, encourages trolling and annoyance and if people were really serious about the site then they'd sign up anyway.
  • -SpectraL-SpectraL Will Faggert
    edited January 2011
    Yes, guests should only be permitted to post in the forums listed in the OP... with the provision that we abolish guest posting altogether, forthwith.

Sorry. My preference is apparently not on the menu.
  • edited January 2011
    Dfg mentioned that it was only a test anyway. I think the results are pretty conclusive - it sucks.
  • Darth BeaverDarth Beaver Meine Ehre heißt Treue
    edited January 2011
    -SpectraL wrote: »
    Yes, guests should only be permitted to post in the forums listed in the OP... with the provision that we abolish guest posting altogether, forthwith.

Sorry. My preference is apparently not on the menu.

Sorry Spec but I am having trouble following you here. It seems that your statement is self contradicting. You state that you fell guest posting should only be permitted in the list provided in the OP with the provision that guest posting be abolished. Maybe I am missing something here but how could guest posting be permitted in the proposed forums only if it were abolished altogether?
    edited January 2011
    Sorry Spec but I am having trouble following you here. It seems that your statement is self contradicting. You state that you fell guest posting should only be permitted in the list provided in the OP with the provision that guest posting be abolished. Maybe I am missing something here but how could guest posting be permitted in the proposed forums only if it were abolished altogether?
    It's simple. It's because I don't believe we should have guest posting at all, but I wanted to limit it as much as the poll allowed anyways. It's like running to hold your head under a broken beer barrel even though you know most of it is going down the gutter anyways.
  • DirtySanchezDirtySanchez Regular
    edited January 2011
    I was for giving it a shot but it isn't working. I don't think any harm is done in letting guests posts in SG and hb but make them register for the serious forums. It's also proved to render the ban useless as demonstrated by Fatty still posting as a guest.
    edited January 2011
    -SpectraL wrote: »
    It's simple. It's because I don't believe we should have guest posting at all, but I wanted to limit it as much as the poll allowed anyways. It's like running to hold your head under a broken beer barrel even though you know most of it is going down the gutter anyways.

OK, I get you now. And I agree that guest posting is just an overall bad idea, but I was trying to present it in a fashion that demonstrated a willingness to compromise in the interest of solving a potential problem.

If everyone agrees I would be fine with abolishing guest posting altogether. But limiting it to the aforementioned areas would serve the same purpose in terms of a functioning policy to prevent spamtards from destroying threads.
    I was for giving it a shot but it isn't working. I don't think any harm is done in letting guests posts in SG and hb but make them register for the serious forums. It's also proved to render the ban useless as demonstrated by Fatty still posting as a guest.

Exactly, and even though Fatty's narcissistic personality will interpret this thread as being all about him, he just happens to be a current example of the problem being discussed.
    edited January 2011
    I can go with H&S as a gesture of good will to those who have not signed up. But I do have some trepidation regrading a disgruntled troll abusing the privilege in that section.
  • DirtySanchezDirtySanchez Regular
    edited January 2011
    I can go with H&S as a gesture of good will to those who have not signed up. But I do have some trepidation regrading a disgruntled troll abusing the privilege in that section.

As long as guests aren't allowed to report posts I don't think much damage will be done.
    edited January 2011
    As long as guests aren't allowed to report posts I don't think much damage will be done.

Agreed...
    edited January 2011
    Thread bans/forums bans... all they are is bandaid solutions which avoid the actual work at hand... that's all they are. It's no better than a convenient carpet-sweep. People always make things really complicated when there's no real need to do so. Piecemealing policy like this can only lead to failure, trust me on that.
    edited January 2011
    All you want to do is ban based on your opinion of what is acceptable and what is not. Spectral, you are old enough to know better than this.
  • edited January 2011
    Put me in the group that hates the entire concept of guest posting at all, but if it "needs" :rolleyes: to be part of this community take it even a step further than Rodent's idea.

Create a new section titled "The Fish Bowl"....and all these guest accounts can post to their hearts content. Let a "guest" poster be the spectacle they obviously want to be.....give them their own little pool to play in. Sure if regulars want to join in their Anon-JackFest....more power to anyone that wants to....but if someone needs to play games with sock or guest accounts, then they probably have no business being in what is supposed to be an ADULT community in the first place. :(
  • ILTST9ILTST9 Regular
    edited January 2011
    Guest posting should be disallowed in all of the forums, as they render the banning of an account completely pointless. If somebody wants to post, they should register.
    edited January 2011
    ILTST9 wrote: »
    Guest posting should be disallowed in all of the forums, as they render the banning of an account completely pointless. If somebody wants to post, they should register.
    At least at the administrative level, policy is based on quantity, not quality. In that light, it should be no surprise that the policy would be geared more toward harboring banned individuals rather than banishing them properly. Guest posting is merely a means to that end, rather than a supposed feature of anonymity.
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited January 2011
    Guest Posting will be disabled throughout Totse. It will however be enabled in H&S with the posts being Moderated. But in HB it can be enabled without moderation. Enabling it in B&M and SG cause unnecessary drama.

Anyone got any problems with that?
  • KatzenklavierKatzenklavier Regular
    edited January 2011
    The whole point of guest posting was to help people that come to BI, and for the sale and trade section...
  • ILTST9ILTST9 Regular
    edited January 2011
    Dfg wrote: »
    Guest Posting will be disabled throughout Totse. It will however be enabled in H&S with the posts being Moderated. But in HB it can be enabled without moderation. Enabling it in B&M and SG cause unnecessary drama.

Anyone got any problems with that?

Not at all. :)
    The whole point of guest posting was to help people that come to BI, and for the sale and trade section...

For that to ensure full anonymity they could create an alternate after notifying an administrator that they will do so strictly for trade/bad ideas use and only use a proxy while using that alternate. What do you guys think of this idea?
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited January 2011
    Changes done. Guest posting should only be available in HB or Ego sections at best. In H&S it's moderated like always.
  • edited January 2011
    I propose that in view of the fact that thread bans are a tool that is in place that guest posting be disabled in all but the following forums;

• Spurious Generalities
    • Half Baked
    • I Found it on the Web
    • Bitch and Moan

I'm in support of this for this reason:
    ILTST9 wrote: »
    If somebody wants to post, they should register.

The way I see it is that if someone doesn't want to spend the 30sec it takes to register, then they won't be arsed to spend the time required to write a decent post.

edit: lol 2 minutes too late :facepalm:
    edited January 2011
    Dfg wrote: »
    Changes done. Guest posting should only be available in HB or Ego sections at best. In H&S it's moderated like always.

Sweet...