Here's How to Make a Free Telephone Call From a Payphone in an Emergency

-SpectraL-SpectraL Will Faggert
edited January 2011 in Man Cave
removed

reason: administrative censure without reason of my posts in another area of the site

Comments

• MayberryMayberry Regular
    edited January 2011
    I actually saw someone smashing a payphone this morning. Maybe they were trying to get a free call.
  • edited January 2011
    Mayberry wrote: »
    I actually saw someone smashing a payphone this morning. Maybe they were trying to get a free call.

Or some desperate crack addict.
  • 13371337 Regular
    edited January 2011
    -SpectraL wrote: »
    One thing, though... it doesn't give you a quarter back if you hang up. It gives the call free but it won't release any coins already in the box as refund. I guess it really does know there's no quarter really in there or something. lol

The quarters that are inserted are kept above the hopper until after the headset is hung up. You can even hear the coins fall after the call. If the call doesn't go through, the coins in the "holding area" are refunded. Since you didn't put any coins into the phone, there is nothing to refund.
  • KatzenklavierKatzenklavier Regular
    edited January 2011
    I'm skeptical...
  • dr rockerdr rocker Regular
    edited January 2011
    It was also the case that you could mess with the phone as above and come back a few days later and put it back together as it should be and all the coins from the holding area would be returned.

If you have dial tone, you can get a lot of free calls - as long as you know the local exchange code and the engineers over ride code - if you have telephone junction boxes in your country you will see the telephone engineer plug in hand sets into it to determine open lines - while the the telephone exchange is normally digital in this day and age, they still have to figure out which circuit to attach new lines to in the local juntion box.

It is not as common to see in this day and age as it was say 20 years ago as most houses now have a line attached, but if you go to a new build estate, you can still see them do it.
  • SlartibartfastSlartibartfast Global Moderator -__-
    edited January 2011
    I wonder if it would be easier to get through the Cord...
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited January 2011
    Now that's more like it. Payphone here I come. Although in Pakistan these payphones aren't widespread and it's a bit hard to find a working one.
  • TheGreenDoctorTheGreenDoctor Regular
    edited January 2011
    This is classic totse at its best. Showing easy and effective workarounds for everyday problems. Most people have cell phones these days, but it seems like it could be a fun thing to try or a useful thing to know in a pinch.
  • fr0st_Bytefr0st_Byte Sumpin' c00L
    edited January 2011
    There used to be another way as well.

Calling a 1-800 number and telling the person picking up that you have the wrong number. Stay on the line after they hang up and a dial-tone will come up after about 15 seconds. But I don't think this works anymore, I think a busy signal comes up now.
  • edited January 2011
    This might still work, if you can find one. First they took out any that were in "known drug areas" a bullshit denial of communication to an already marginalized population. Then cell phones put the other nails in the coffin.

When I was a kid we would go from one end of town to the other stuffing toilet paper in the coin returns, then come back a few hours later to see if anything had accumulated. Usually good for a few quarters for the arcade.

C/O
  • edited January 2011
    I really want to try this, there's a payphone right nearby which never gets used. Are all payphones actually built the same though? Is there any guarantee that this will work?
  • angryonionangryonion Just some guy
    edited January 2011
    I cant remember the last time I even saw a payphone.
    They used too be everywhere but not anymore.I even worked in a shop that had one,inside!
    Well thanks for the guide spectral I'm sure it could help someone in a jam:thumbsup:
    The more you know and knowledge is power.
  • edited January 2011
    Pakistanis sniff cum
  • High-PhenatedHigh-Phenated New Arrival
    edited January 2011
    Yeah Spectral, we're all gonna walk around with a hammer for smashing pay phones so we can save 0.25 cents.

Fucking goof.
  • skunkskunk Regular
    edited January 2011
    I found it very helpful. I don't often use payphones, but if for whatever reason I have to, and I don't have coins...

Thanks for sharing man.
  • DerelictmyballsDerelictmyballs Acolyte
    edited January 2011
    It's a damn shame that Redboxing doesn't work anymore. Now that was fun... :(
  • edited January 2011
    Pakistanis sniff cum
  • VizierVizier Regular
    edited January 2011
    Looks relatively easy, although here in Mexico coin payphones are kind of a rarity, at least where I love. Most phones use those prepaid cards that you insert in the slot and make calls according to the amount of money on the card.
  • edited January 2011
    Pakistanis sniff cum
  • edited January 2011
    Memories. When I was in grade 3 or 4 a bunch of us figured out how to get coins from one of the payphones (the only one there that actually took coins) by pretty much just giving it a really hard bump. Eventually got the coin depositry thing open and took em all. Phone company came the next day and replaced it with a card one :p