Calling all historians!

RemadERemadE Global Moderator
edited January 2011 in Spurious Generalities
Tomorrow I have what is called a "Day Paper" assignment and I thought "why not share it?" so I was wondering if it could turn into a group discussion so i could use a broad range of opinions, as it will beat quoting just academic Professors etc. Y'know?

Anyway, this isn't a "do my work for me" thread. Just a paragraph or so, and I'll incorporate it :)

It starts at 09:15 tomorrow, then I return to my room to do it over 24 hours.

Comments

• edited January 2011
    I'm in, so long as the topic isn't gay and boring.
  • Professor ElmProfessor Elm Regular
    edited January 2011
    I'm in if FATTY is in (no homo).
  • edited January 2011
    What kind of thing will we be writing about? I'd gladly help out if it's something I know.
  • MayberryMayberry Regular
    edited January 2011
    I probably have nothing to contribute, but let's see :o
  • skunkskunk Regular
    edited January 2011
    I'm down.
  • edited January 2011
    I'm down.

How, by any stretch of anybody's imagination, could you be considered a historian?
  • DirtySanchezDirtySanchez Regular
    edited January 2011
    I can try to help you out depending on what it is.
  • skunkskunk Regular
    edited January 2011
    At least I'm not writing a book on the "history" of the Caucasian Race, neglecting your african heritage :D
  • DirtySanchezDirtySanchez Regular
    edited January 2011
    At least I'm not writing a book on the "history" of the Caucasian Race, neglecting your african heritage :D

Because that made a lot of sense:rolleyes:
  • skunkskunk Regular
    edited January 2011
    Looking back at that sentence, no, not really. Poorly constructed.
  • edited January 2011
    trollbait
    Because that made a lot of sense:rolleyes:
    trolled
  • RemadERemadE Global Moderator
    edited January 2011
    *bangs hammer* calm down, lads! I will be getting the paper in 6 hours (it's 3am here and as I went to bed early as shit, I got up early as..well, shit)
  • Darth BeaverDarth Beaver Meine Ehre heißt Treue
    edited January 2011
    Subscribing...
  • LuxJigabooLuxJigaboo Regular
    edited January 2011
    Mayberry wrote: »
    I probably have nothing to contribute, but let's see :o

This.
    edited January 2011
    45 minutes! Will pick the paper up around 09:15 and will then go to the library to get needed materials, then come back here to share the assignment. Sound good? Good.
    edited January 2011
    Ok here it is.

"In assessing the validity of a Historian's account, it is always necessary to ascertain who s/he was/is and her/his audience." Discuss.

Shame all the books are now taken from the library and everyone on my course has turned into a cunt.
  • MasturbatronMasturbatron Regular
    edited January 2011
    Well of course the historians background information should be taken into account. It helps verifying the story, and how accurate the story is. We need to know about the authors life, habits, social group, and health so that we can be sure he/she wasn't a loon.
    edited January 2011
    Exactly what I was thinking. Just drawing out a mind map and trying to find names of historians I can throw in there.
  • edited January 2011
    So, you could do something radical and attack the omissions in common school textbooks. With the intended audience being students of a certain age, for what reasons are controversial moments in a nations history omitted? I cannot cite British history textbooks, but Canadian high school history texts leave out such things as the internment of, and seizure of property from Japanese civilians during the second world war, and the segregation and forced relocation of Native peoples.

Not a full paper, but mentioning that editing history in such a way as to not include events that have undergone later scrutiny, and especially in cases when the judgement of those in charge has been found to be flawed, in the interests of keeping that information from students until they reach an age when they can place it in a larger historical context, would be a good tangent, worthy of a paragraph or so.
    (just don't use any run on sentences like that one!)

As for relating these omissions to the general validity of a text, you could take the stance that by deliberate omission, a complete view of the historical period was denied the reader, therefore the context of all the other information in the text was skewed by the omission, usually towards the bias of the author. You can cherrypick historical facts from any period and arrive at a conclusion that would be acceptable to a publisher with a bias. In the case of textbooks it is a bias towards creating an environment for a student to learn about his/her nations history without having to deal with the bits they will later find repulsive as adults.

C/O
    "wish I had gone to college, mostly for the parties"
    edited January 2011
    That's exactly what I am going for, CO. Just starting on Medieval hsitory now and how religion played a huge part in it. The works of Bede and other contemporary historians are all being scrutinised in these couple of paragraphs.
    After that comes another era of history and so forth. Basically I'll go through history until I get to a modern part, then comes the girl and drugs I ordered for later tonight. After that comes postmodernism, as I have no fucking clue what that is.

In short -

Going through history, talking about prominent historians from the time and looking at why they left out or were biased in certain aspects of history. I then get to my era and things become more personal.

Just spitballing now. 22 hours left.
  • edited January 2011
    Postmodernism is when we finally realized we were never going to have flying cars, and settled for acid instead.:hai:
    edited January 2011
    Postmodernism is when we finally realized we were never going to have flying cars, and settled for acid instead.:hai:

Sweet. I have a few grams of Cubes here. Tempting to chomp on them later and get creative.
    edited January 2011
    Essays like this really give me the soapbox needed to kick the shit out of my Lecturers and Faculty. can't stand most of them, so here's my conclusion...what a day today has been. The stress does wonders. Not. The past 4 hours or so have been hell.
    I suppose what I am trying to say, is that underneath all the long words, psedu-authorities and bravado is a person who enjoys reflecting on the past, so much so that they may record events for future generations. That is not history as it soon becomes an analysis of why? Countless lectures can be spent studying the early years of Bede, Peter Burke, Edward Gibbon or Ian kershaw, but when did that become History? Sure it’s their history, but not the history they recorded. History is the event or events happening and fading into the past as a collective memory, but as soon as a person records the feelings, emotions and events, it becomes an account. Pure history is the event as it happens, but everything else thereafter is purely an account, which can be studied in something of a historical context, but also a psychological and sociological one. The easiest way to judge a Historian is to read works by those who disagree with said Historian’s views and a few inbetween. Everybody has an agenda, and no matter how padded-out or long the words are, the work and facts essentially remains the same. It’s only up to you to find out what you think happened. For example during the history of me writing this, I was taken into Hospital for a suspected Morphine overdose due to my Crohn’s pain. I could tell you what happened and how it happened, but if somebody were to re-tell it, the event would gain parts, have more emotive language used and twisted into somebody else’s view of what happened. No matter what way you look at the facts, they remain, but how you portray them is ‘history’, it happens across all levels of society, and the best way to tell it is to experience it, with an account coming only second to said event.
  • dr rockerdr rocker Regular
    edited January 2011
    RemadE wrote: »
    "In assessing the validity of a Historian's account, it is always necessary to ascertain who s/he was/is and her/his audience." Discuss.

Although I have not studied the examination of historical evidence for some years, I would start of looking at it from PuRe BiN - Purpose of historical view, Relationship of the historian to the evidence discussed and to the viewpoint / conclusion, if their would be any reason for the historian to be Bias and the Nature of the account that has been given - for example is it a photo, written evidence, an artifact, a video etcetera.

Two for the above statement and on against for each of the points, a source to back up each one and there is a 1st for you.
    edited January 2011
    Just to say I scrapped that conclusion. i was in a real pissed off state when I typed it. Current one is worded better and slightly less...bitter
  • edited January 2011
    Wow. That was really well written, I actually like the conclusion you posted, I'd be curious in seeing the rewrites. Also I will be using (plagiarizing) it if I am ever assigned a similar topic.