Assholes say 'tank' style wheelchair has to be specially registered for use on road

bornkillerbornkiller AdministratorIn your girlfriends snatch
edited January 2011 in Spurious Generalities
Give the poor dude a break man. :facepalm:

Awesome Ride.:cool:
852892-tankchair.jpg
Mr Starr says his normal wheelchair is unsuitable for outdoor activities. Picture: BNPS Source: Supplied

853498-tankchair.jpg

853495-tankchair.jpg

• Wheelchair can tackle varied terrain
  • Chair was a $24,000 custom-built gift
  • Authorities say it's a tank, not a chair

A DISABLED man has been stopped from using his specially-made wheelchair because British road authorities say it's a tank.

Jim Starr, 36, was told by the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DLVA) he cannot ride his specially-made chair, which has caterpillar-treads instead of wheels, because its size and width technically make it a tank.
According to DVLA guidelines disabled buggies and scooters cannot exceed more than 85cm in width and 125kg in weight.
Jim's Tank Chair is 107cm wide and weighs 220kg.
Jim says he has already driven the custom-made vehicle across snow, sand and even into the surf of his local beach.
“The whole idea of the chair was that I could go down to the beach with the kids,” Jim said.
“It is a fantastic machine and can take me anywhere I want to go. It has no limits."

http://www.news.com.au/technology/authority-says-tank-style-wheelchair-not-for-the-road/story-e6frfro0-1225991855572

Comments

• edited January 2011
    Treads tear up asphalt, no way he could use it on paved roadways.
  • bornkillerbornkiller Administrator In your girlfriends snatch
    edited January 2011
    They're rubber tread and the weight is nowhere near the weight of the smallest tracker. :o
  • MarijuanasaurusMarijuanasaurus Regular
    edited January 2011
    Look at that poor guy all sad in the first picture in his old wheelchair. All he wants to do is ride on his badass tank wheelchair.
  • ManifestoTHEOUManifestoTHEOU Acolyte
    edited January 2011
    Yea this story is really touching man. This shit is a fuckin injustice, fuck all government transportation institutions - wherever you go in the world they all try and fuck you over.

I swear, if they don't let this guy drive his tank wheelchair, I'll drive a real tank into the driver and vehicle licensing agency, thats exactly what those asshats have coming to them. I'll fuckin smash through the wall and scream LICENSE THIS BITCH!
  • StephenPBarrettStephenPBarrett Adviser
    edited January 2011
    That's fucked up. Western governments need to get their heads out of their asses. This Guy deserves to have his tank wheelchair for whatever he wants to use it for. If it isn't tearing up the asphalt it shouldn't be a problem unless it causes traffic problems. While I personally would drive it around everywhere looking badass I'm sure he genuinely uses it for off-road stuff and rarely takes it onto the asphalt. Those British bullies are just a bunch of poopie heads!
  • edited January 2011
    That's really harsh of the British Road Authorities :facepalm: It's hardly a tank - it doesn't kill people, it just looks awesome. Fuck you BRA (lol bra) if you're reading this, give the man his wheelchair!
  • edited January 2011
    I swear, if they don't let this guy drive his tank wheelchair, I'll drive a real tank into the driver and vehicle licensing agency, thats exactly what those asshats have coming to them. I'll fuckin smash through the wall and scream LICENSE THIS BITCH!
    Sounds real cool, let us know when you do this
  • VizierVizier Regular
    edited January 2011
    It's not like he has a fucking cannon on that thing :facepalm:

Fucking people, what were they thinking? He's disabled for fucks sake, let him use that badass wheelchair. *rage*
  • SliceSlice Regular
    edited January 2011
    I bet he drives it around everywhere anyway. Hope he drove it over a cop car or something lol
  • MooseKnuckleMooseKnuckle Regular
    edited January 2011

they don't look like they'd hurt anything. maybe hurt you if he ran over your toe or something.
  • edited January 2011
    A normal wheelchair would probably hurt more if it ran over your toe due to the smaller surface area of the wheels. This makes no sense.
  • edited January 2011
    I think it's a fucking great ride, let the dude have his chair, but ticket him if he fucks up and rides it in the wrong places. He should use his regular chair for city stuff, and the tank chair for places he would normally find inaccessible, he looks like a bright guy, I'm sure he can tell the difference. Beach=win, Grocery Store=fail.

C/O
    "can I get one if I'm just lazy?"
  • MantikoreMantikore Regular
    edited January 2011
    I like that wheelchair from the Wild Wild West
  • edited January 2011
    I think it's a fucking great ride, let the dude have his chair, but ticket him if he fucks up and rides it in the wrong places. He should use his regular chair for city stuff, and the tank chair for places he would normally find inaccessible, he looks like a bright guy, I'm sure he can tell the difference. Beach=win, Grocery Store=fail.

C/O
    "can I get one if I'm just lazy?"

Unfortunately the crippled and elderly have a tendency to ride their fucking mobility scooters along the pavement (sidewalk) at near jogging speed and expect anyone who can walk... or jump... to move out of the way.

I saw one old coot causing mayhem in a supermarket because he was reversing up an ailse at full speed. The senile ass ended up smashing into a glass freezer door. He was banned before he came back and destroyed anymore property or ran over a small child... they're even messier to clean up than a broken jam jar.

So I suspect if you allow this guy to use that thing in public then it'll only be a matter of time before some militant cripple or old senile fuck 'accidentally' crushes my feet or runs over a small kid. Shit, it's like a cripple's arms race, once these people only had small chairs with small wheels, then they attached motors and got heavier, now they've got battle-chairs that wouldn't look out of place in a news report about a skirmish in Hellmand Province.

But hey, after I've been run over at least I'll then be enabled to righteously disable someone else. The next time some stunned cunt rides his bike on the pavement I'll just roll out and destroy him with my armchair version of Sir Killalot.
    edited January 2011
    Unfortunately the crippled and elderly have a tendency to ride their fucking mobility scooters along the pavement (sidewalk) at near jogging speed and expect anyone who can walk... or jump... to move out of the way.

I saw one old coot causing mayhem in a supermarket because he was reversing up an ailse at full speed. The senile ass ended up smashing into a glass freezer door. He was banned before he came back and destroyed anymore property or ran over a small child... they're even messier to clean up than a broken jam jar.

So I suspect if you allow this guy to use that thing in public then it'll only be a matter of time before some militant cripple or old senile fuck 'accidentally' crushes my feet or runs over a small kid. Shit, it's like a cripple's arms race, once these people only had small chairs with small wheels, then they attached motors and got heavier, now they've got battle-chairs that wouldn't look out of place in a news report about a skirmish in Hellmand Province.

But hey, after I've been run over at least I'll then be enabled to righteously disable someone else. The next time some stunned cunt rides his bike on the pavement I'll just roll out and destroy him with my armchair version of Sir Killalot.
    I remember a couple of old dudes went into a path rage on a couple of mobility scooters here. They were crashing into each other, pushing, shoving & shit, forcing pedestrians onto the road or into nearby shops. That shit was fuckin epic.:thumbsup:
    There's also the case of an old dude who went & bought himself a piece of timber, lay it across the back of his scooter, which forced pedestrians off the path.
    Those are old cunts, their reasoning is affected by age. This dude's a cripple, It's his physical condition that's fucked, not his mentality.
  • dr rockerdr rocker Regular
    edited January 2011
    Fuck him, the law is the law. It is a dangerouse vehicle. Him being a cripple is niether here noer their - if I am not allowed to use one as an able bodied person then neither should he.
  • Darth BeaverDarth Beaver Meine Ehre heißt Treue
    edited January 2011
    dr rocker wrote: »
    Fuck him, the law is the law. It is a dangerouse vehicle. Him being a cripple is niether here noer their - if I am not allowed to use one as an able bodied person then neither should he.

Why do you feel this is anymore dangerous than a car?
  • Rumple ForeskinRumple Foreskin Regular
    edited January 2011
    how did this redneck get across the pond? im still baffled by that
    edited January 2011
    Why do you feel this is anymore dangerous than a car?

On a car, the wheels must be covered from above in the UK with bodywork or wheel arches - it stops people from bing dragged into them. Say this guy is using his chair where ever - he drives it past some unwitting soul with a flowing jacket on and he gets dragged in between the tracks and the chair.

Your are going to see some nasty de-gloving injuries.

Whoever spent the money they did on that chair is an idiot. I have seen chairs get themselves up mountain paths and get on the beach with a little assistance.

Sucks to be cripled, but life is not fair.
    edited January 2011
    On a car, the wheels must be covered from above in the UK with bodywork or wheel arches - it stops people from bing dragged into them. Say this guy is using his chair where ever - he drives it past some unwitting soul with a flowing jacket on and he gets dragged in between the tracks and the chair.

Your are going to see some nasty de-gloving injuries.

Whoever spent the money they did on that chair is an idiot. I have seen chairs get themselves up mountain paths and get on the beach with a little assistance.

Sucks to be cripled, but life is not fair.

Fair enough I suppose but would you rather be hit by this thing or a car?
    edited January 2011
    Fair enough I suppose but would you rather be hit by this thing or a car?

I would rather not be hit at all - the thing is, he wants to use it where a car cannot be used - pedestrian areas, beaches and the like. When I am at the beach, I am either fishing, and able bodied people who get in the way have enough chance to quickly move when they need to, or I have my wet suit and Px diving mask on - visibility is good enough to get out of the way of people but not that thing.

It would be the same veiw if some one wanted to use a 4x4 or a quad on the beach - a no. Not that I have anything against them - I own a 4x4 and use a quad when I am on farms, but a place for everything and everything in its place.

However, if they guy wanted to submit it for road worthy / pedestrian safety tests, make any changes needed, get a Single Vehicle Approval certificate, tax and insure it I would have no problem with him using it on the roads.

Would have been cheaper if someone have bought him a trike however.
  • DysgraphiaDysgraphia Locked
    edited January 2011
    Sooner or later brits will start pimping out their cars with tracks too.

Good thing they denied his ass. Who the hell gave him permission to be creative?

Fucking individuals.
    edited January 2011
    I would rather not be hit at all - the thing is, he wants to use it where a car cannot be used - pedestrian areas, beaches and the like. When I am at the beach, I am either fishing, and able bodied people who get in the way have enough chance to quickly move when they need to, or I have my wet suit and Px diving mask on - visibility is good enough to get out of the way of people but not that thing.

It would be the same veiw if some one wanted to use a 4x4 or a quad on the beach - a no. Not that I have anything against them - I own a 4x4 and use a quad when I am on farms, but a place for everything and everything in its place.

However, if they guy wanted to submit it for road worthy / pedestrian safety tests, make any changes needed, get a Single Vehicle Approval certificate, tax and insure it I would have no problem with him using it on the roads.

Would have been cheaper if someone have bought him a trike however.

Doc, you are better than that. Of course nobody wants to be hit period, but if someone told you they were going to hit you with this thing or a car which would you choose?
    edited January 2011
    Well, his thing does 7 1/2 mph so a choice between his thing and a car at 7 1/2mph, I take the car everyday. I car I can go over the top of, that thing I would get tangled up in.
    edited January 2011
    Well, his thing does 7 1/2 mph so a choice between his thing and a car at 7 1/2mph, I take the car everyday. I car I can go over the top of, that thing I would get tangled up in.

OK you have never BS'd me before to avoid a point so I will take you at your word that you would honestly rather be hit by a car. Myself I would take my chances with the fat guy going 7.5 MPH with a lot less mass and therefore much less inertia and kinetic energy transferred upon impact than an automobile weighing thousands of pounds at at 7.5 MPH. Of course most people back out of their driveway at least that fast so chances are if you are hit by a car it will be traveling much faster than 7.5 MPH.

Anyhow I honestly think that some government functionary just has some stick up his ass over this and needs to get a life. Let the guy get around FFS it is bad enough that he is excluded from many of life's activities as it is without some mindless bureaucrat comparing this:

853498-tankchair.jpg

To that:

tank-experience-pic.jpg

When it is closer to this:

tank01.jpg
    edited January 2011
    I can see your point on what it is and what it is not using common sense, but a rule is a rule. If this guy is allowed to use his thing and the rules allowed to be bent, what about next week?

How long before some one is riding around in one of these, doing jumps over my house?

AT-ST-model-kit-star-wars.jpg

OK, that is extreme tripe and imposible at the moment, but you see where I am going whith this?
    edited January 2011
    How long before some one is riding around in one of these, doing jumps over my house?

OK, that is extreme tripe and imposible at the moment, but you see where I am going whith this?
    That would be fuckin :cool:
    Gawddamn it! Let the man have his tank chair so we can see cripples jump dr rockers house in the near future. :mad:
    edited January 2011
    I can see your point on what it is and what it is not using common sense, but a rule is a rule. If this guy is allowed to use his thing and the rules allowed to be bent, what about next week?

AT-ST-model-kit-star-wars.jpg

I see where you are going but I respectfully disagree. The way I see it is we have on group of people to make rules another group to enforce them and another to interpret the fair application of them.

When those who are doing the interpretation simply follow the letter and ignore the spirit then we sacrifice the human side of the equation.
  • kfc v lotkfc v lot Regular
    edited January 2011
    To be honest while this doesn't surprise me with the DVLA and it is a bit shit, I do kind of agree with Dr Rocker..

Also On a related not I know that if you have a certain width of track you can register a T-34 as a road maintainence vehicle.

EDIT: Also the sad thing here is that the only place he could legally use it would be his own field, as nearly all land is private land and owned by someone. It would work the same with me with a dirtbike registered or otherwise. I would only be able to ride it a field if I tried to gu up s mountain on it was caught I would be raped..
    What I am saying most people don't want their land raped by vehicles sadly.