Did anyone here build a badass gaming PC and end up playing old games on it?

I had to build a PC for work and I decided I'd catch up on the last 7 or so years I've missed in the video game world.

I spent about 1800 bucks on a pretty badass PC and now all I really play is CS 1.6, Diablo, and Baldur's Gate. I tried to get into some newer games like Dragon Age, Fallout 3, and Black Ops but I just wasn't into them. I did like Fallout but I prefer 1 and 2 to 3. I guess I'm strange. I always prided myself in being a video game nerd but I could care less about newer games now. I think it's the nostalgia I wanted and not the gaming experience. I especially hate Black Ops - that game is full of douchebags. I am excited about Duke Nukem and Diablo 3 but those are old franchises.

The point was to use it for work in the first place anyways I guess.

Anyone else have a badass gaming PC and play mainly older games on it?

Comments

• JestAJestA Regular
    edited January 2011
    i had 1 before it died (not as pricy or well made as yours) and i just Played Dungeon Keeper 1 and 2.
  • edited January 2011
    JestA wrote: »
    i had 1 before it died (not as pricy or well made as yours) and i just Played Dungeon Keeper 1 and 2.

Haha I was playing that for a while too. I'll probably get the new one when it comes out. My lame ass probably won't play it for more than an hour though.
  • IndulgenceIndulgence Regular
    edited January 2011
    Lol yeah. My boyfriend helped me build a pretty solid gaming PC and I mostly play Source games and Killing Floor. I've been completely hooked on BC2 lately though which I guess is sort of demanding.

Codblops fucking sucks, along with every other CoD game within the last few years. If you want a recent, fun and more or less balanced FPS I'd get Bad Company 2. It's nothing amazing but it beats the hell out of anything Call of Duty.
  • edited January 2011
    I keep going back and forth on BC2. I like CS because I can say fuck my team and run around killing who I want. Apparently that's not the case with BC2? I hear you have to work as a team. I may buy it anyways just to check it out. People keep recommending it to me.

I did buy the Orange Box, and I beat Half Life 2, and I play TF2 every once in a while if I'm fed up with CS or any of my older games. Mostly I buy and play new games to feel relevant though. I feel obligated to since I have a monster PC.

My buddy plays Killing Floor and he seems to enjoy it. I may pick that up too.

I bought Dead Space on sale for 7 bucks cause my little brother seemed to like it a lot but I doubt I'll play it much or ever beat it.
  • Gary OakGary Oak Regular
    edited January 2011
    Indulgence wrote: »
    Blah Blah Blah. . .
    Tits or GTFO
    edited January 2011
    Well, you can run around killing people, but if your team wants to win then yeah you have to work together. That's what I like about it though.

To me the only good thing about the Orange Box is Portal. Killing Floor is so good, especially if you have friends to play with. I don't play it as much anymore but I have like 600+ hours in it.

Also shut the fuck up Gary Oak.
  • strapped felonstrapped felon Acolyte
    edited January 2011
    I built a gaming pc but after a few months i didnt really play any games on it. I built it years back to play crysis.

Op, why do you prefer 1.6 over source?
  • edited January 2011
    I built a gaming pc but after a few months i didnt really play any games on it. I built it years back to play crysis.

Op, why do you prefer 1.6 over source?

I think I'm just used to 1.6. Anytime I play CS:S I just think it's lame.
  • edited January 2011
    I just bought Minecraft. What a waste of money. :facepalm: Or I just don't get it. Other people seem to love it.
    edited January 2011
    Minecraft is retarded.
  • VizierVizier Regular
    edited January 2011
    Before the last PC I had fucking exploded I had refurbished it to be an old-school gaming console. All I had were emulators from NES-N64, a bunch of old computer games like Age of Empires I & II, Grim Fandango, Black and White, Diablo II and a bunch of other shit I can't remember.

Was great until a couple of capacitors exploded because I couldn't get enough ventilation for it.
  • KatzenklavierKatzenklavier Regular
    edited January 2011
    I've got a commodore 64.
  • edited January 2011
    Vizier wrote: »
    Before the last PC I had fucking exploded I had refurbished it to be an old-school gaming console. All I had were emulators from NES-N64, a bunch of old computer games like Age of Empires I & II, Grim Fandango, Black and White, Diablo II and a bunch of other shit I can't remember.

Was great until a couple of capacitors exploded because I couldn't get enough ventilation for it.

I also play a lot of old school SNES games on my PC. :D Feels good, man.

Minecraft is retarded.

It sure is.
    edited January 2011
    I play Sonic and Killer Instinct and shit on my PC. Big pimpin.

Also Quake. Fuck I love Quake.
  • VizierVizier Regular
    edited January 2011
    I rape anyone playing vs me Killer Instinct using Spinal.
    edited January 2011
    No way man. It's always Riptor for me. Dinosaurs are badass.
  • VizierVizier Regular
    edited January 2011
    Nice to see someone uses Riptor. Everybody I used to play with used either that Fulgor faggot or the Ryu clone whose name I forgot right now. Or Cinder, but Cinder is for noobs :o
    edited January 2011
  • SlartibartfastSlartibartfast Global Moderator -__-
    edited January 2011
    The best game ever made is AOEII. That is all.
    edited January 2011
    edited January 2011
    UT is so good.
  • MayberryMayberry Regular
    edited January 2011
  • VizierVizier Regular
    edited January 2011

Let's have some totse AOEII matches sometime. Back at totse and zoklet no user could defeat me :cool:
  • edited January 2011

C-C-C-C Combo Breaker! I love that game. Do you use a game pad to play it on PC? I have my N64 still along with Killer Instict and Road Rash.
    No way man. It's always Riptor for me. Dinosaurs are badass.

I always play as Riptor too.

I used to pwn my brother in Age of Mythology. He sucks at video games. He'd just be getting some troops out and I've have my gods go stomp on his shit.
    ut2004_screen001.jpg

Much fun had with this game for sure.

I'm glad to see people still play old school games around here. I figured everyone was playing the latest and greatest shit for the most part.
  • edited January 2011
    I've got a commodore 64.

When I finished UltimaIV and sent in my code I got a signed(well, stamped actually), letter from Lord British. I tried to play it on an emulator but I couldn't get that faggot ass bard Iolo to join. The Bards Tale was an awesome dungeon crawl for it's time. Fuck I am jealous you bastard, do you have a working drive and floppies.

Sonic was the first 16 bit console game I ever owned, and when I found it on a compilation disk for the XB60, it was just as much fun as I remembered, massive aerials, hidden shit everywhere, fucking great.
    Mayberry wrote: »
    ladderclimb.jpg

I just downloaded Neverhood, it has been a long time since I did a point and click adventure, but if I can tear myself away from totse once in a while I am going to give it a go.

Baldurs Gate is also great, but if you want a truly classic gaming experience, get Might and Magic IV Clouds of Xeen/Darkside of Xeen. The series set a lot of precedents such as the "elemantal" magic system, if you like the Final Fantasy series, you will see a lot of M&M in it, and it is very, very, addictive.

C/O
    "really, I hardly game anymore, fucking totse"
  • edited January 2011
    I built a gaming computer and often play a load of old games on it. Rollercoaster Tycoon is so amazing! I do play newer games too though, so it wasn't a waste of money at all. Currently playing the shit out of Burnout Paradise.
  • MantikoreMantikore Regular
    edited January 2011
    i sort of did the opposite and played Half Life 2 on my netbook
  • edited January 2011
    Mantikore wrote: »
    i sort of did the opposite and played Half Life 2 on my netbook

I have a Compaq cheapie, think it will run?
  • edited January 2011
    I have a Compaq cheapie, think it will run?

What are the specs? Source games are quite good at being based more on the CPU speed rather than requiring mass amounts of video power. You might be in luck.
  • edited January 2011
    trx100 wrote: »
    What are the specs? Source games are quite good at being based more on the CPU speed rather than requiring mass amounts of video power. You might be in luck.

Fuck, I'll just vuze it and see if it flies, I really loved Half Life 1, on Xbox, never killed the last boss though, bastard.
  • Professor ElmProfessor Elm Regular
    edited January 2011
    I recently spent $1000 on upgrades and the only game I play that actually utilises the spec is Starcraft 2. I have been playing GTA San Andreas and CSS though mainly.
  • edited January 2011
    I recently spent $1000 on upgrades and the only game I play that actually utilises the spec is Starcraft 2. I have been playing GTA San Andreas and CSS though mainly.

That's another thing - I'd happily build a monster of a machine just to say that I have done it, even if I never use the full power which it houses.
  • DysgraphiaDysgraphia Locked
    edited January 2011
    I wasted about 1.5k on a PC thinking I was gonna go hardcore on COD:MW2. I ended up playing TF2 and Combat Arms.

Gameplay always beats graphics.
    edited January 2011
    Fuck I am jealous you bastard, do you have a working drive and floppies.

Double sided floppy. The plastic's busted though.

Go buy one http://cgi.ebay.com/Commodore-64-1541-Floppy-Drive-2-Joysticks-/140502610615?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item20b69bb2b7
  • edited January 2011
    Dysgraphia wrote: »
    I wasted about 1.5k on a PC thinking I was gonna go hardcore on COD:MW2. I ended up playing TF2 and Combat Arms.

Gameplay always beats graphics.

I'm looking at you, Crysis. Such a good idea for a game and they went OTT with graphics, forgetting about the gameplay and kinda ruined it all a bit.
  • DysgraphiaDysgraphia Locked
    edited January 2011
    trx100 wrote: »
    I'm looking at you, Crysis. Such a good idea for a game and they went OTT with graphics, forgetting about the gameplay and kinda ruined it all a bit.
    Now it's not even a game. It's like a benchmark.

herp derppp my pc can run crysis
  • edited January 2011
    Dysgraphia wrote: »
    Now it's not even a game. It's like a benchmark.

herp derppp my pc can run crysis

That's pretty much all I used it for.
    edited January 2011
    Fuck, I'll just vuze it and see if it flies, I really loved Half Life 1, on Xbox, never killed the last boss though, bastard.

Half-Life is so much better than Half-Life 2. HL2 was good but it struck me as like, "Hey guys we can make a physics engine, now do these puzzles and move some barrels and shit." In HL you're a scientist who fucks everyone up.

Also Crysis is stupid.
  • Darth BeaverDarth Beaver Meine Ehre heißt Treue
    edited January 2011
    Half-Life is so much better than Half-Life 2. HL2 was good but it struck me as like, "Hey guys we can make a physics engine, now do these puzzles and move some barrels and shit." In HL you're a scientist who fucks everyone up.

Also Crysis is stupid.

HL mods were better IMO especially DoD.

But yeah, I spent close to $1700 on parts about 5 years ago and pulled some of my drives forward. Shit that box had dual AMD Opterons and one of the first WD Raptors to hit the market. I ended up paying DoD and WoW on it. :facepalm: