Opinions on the state of the union speech

KatzenklavierKatzenklavier Regular
edited January 2011 in Spurious Generalities
Well, obama sure talks big, but I doubt anything's going to change. The US is going to run itself into the ground.

Comments

• Darth BeaverDarth Beaver Meine Ehre heißt Treue
    edited January 2011
    More like it is going to be run into the ground by the big eared chimp in charge. That was the most staged piece of shit I have ever seen from D.C.
  • edited January 2011
    I feel it was more of a "wishlist of things I want y'all to stop bickering about and get done".
  • highwaystarhighwaystar Acolyte
    edited January 2011
    I like how when I'm watching it makes me feel like things are really gonna change and America isn't so bad after all... but then I realize it's just "things that need to change" not "things i'm gonna change starting tomorrow"...
    edited January 2011
    Yeah I can see that VM but instead of a wish list I think I would call it "never gonna happen list".
  • JestAJestA Regular
    edited January 2011
    I dont do politics
  • DirtySanchezDirtySanchez Regular
    edited January 2011
    There is already a thread on this but everything he said was completely without substance. Half the shit he talked about didn't even have anything to do with the state of the union. Like I said in the other thread they sat republicans and democrats together to make it look like everyone was standing and applauding to the untrained eye. It was clearly a propaganda technique.

The whole thing made this country look like a joke. He never would actually say HOW he planned to get anything he talked about accomplished either. It reminded of his campaign when he would talk about "change" without ever mentioning exactly what that change was. sadly everyone bought it during the election and never questioned what that change meant.

I like how when I'm watching it makes me feel like things are really gonna change and America isn't so bad after all... but then I realize it's just "things that need to change" not "things i'm gonna change starting tomorrow"...

Change with this government isn't possible. Each side is equally corrupt and criminal. Don't buy into the bullshit from either party. The third party's or bloodshed in my opinion is the only way real change will come.
    edited January 2011
    Right? I mean destroying the economy and running the deficit to record levels is certainly change.
    edited January 2011
    There is already a thread on this but everything he said was completely without substance. Half the shit he talked about didn't even have anything to do with the state of the union. Like I said in the other thread they sat republicans and democrats together to make it look like everyone was standing and applauding to the untrained eye. It was clearly a propaganda technique.

The whole thing made this country look like a joke. He never would actually say HOW he planned to get anything he talked about accomplished either. It reminded of his campaign when he would talk about "change" without ever mentioning exactly what that change was. sadly everyone bought it during the election and never questioned what that change meant.

Change with this government isn't possible. Each side is equally corrupt and criminal. Don't buy into the bullshit from either party. The third party's or bloodshed in my opinion is the only way real change will come.

I don't know about everyone else but I'm kind of sick of the whole "America was founded on the beliefs of creativity and freedom and blah blah blah"... I think we all know that. I admit that in the moment it could rile some hearts into believing in the "American Dream" again... but I feel like this State of the Union address should have been a little less optimistic and more specifically tuned to what will be done. Idk. I want to believe in Obama cause he does have such a fine mouth but it's just getting to be less and less...
    edited January 2011
    One more thing he said that caught my attention was how he said we are falling behind because China and Russia are investing more in roads and internet etc.. and how that needs to change. What he fails to realize is that America right now is involved in 2 conflicts in the middle east which cost a lot of money.

Well if you look at the history of warfare whenever a nation has been engaged in war some cuts to other areas were always necessary. In massive wars even rationing occurred. So his idea that we need to continue to spend like we aren't in conflicts abroad is exactly part of the reason our deficit is so huge.
    edited January 2011
    I don't know about everyone else but I'm kind of sick of the whole "America was founded on the beliefs of creativity and freedom and blah blah blah"... I think we all know that. I admit that in the moment it could rile some hearts into believing in the "American Dream" again... but I feel like this State of the Union address should have been a little less optimistic and more specifically tuned to what will be done. Idk. I want to believe in Obama cause he does have such a fine mouth but it's just getting to be less and less...

Sorry for the double post but if you think he speaks well I suggest you go to youtube and find the videos of him speaking when the teleprompter malfunctions. All so called charisma flies out the door.
    edited January 2011
    Sorry for the double post but if you think he speaks well I suggest you go to youtube and find the videos of him speaking when the teleprompter malfunctions. All so called charisma flies out the door.

Yup, he reads and talks real well that is until the puppeteers hand slips out of his ass.
  • KatzenklavierKatzenklavier Regular
    edited January 2011
    I love how he thinks america is on the path forward, yet housing sales are lower than during the great depression. I've had it with our government. They do not do what the people want, only what the politicians want. Not only that they waste all of our money, because it's not *their* money.

Smart thing to do:
    *remove most of the bullshit business regulations, they just send business to china.
    *gradually increase Chinese import taxes.
    *Lower the income tax. Seriously, more play $$ = more products bought. If the Chinese import tax is put into place then they will be american products.
    *tax breaks for small businesses
    ‎*remove a lot of the regulations on chemicals. Because there are hundreds of hoops you need to jump through to get chemicals there are no hobby chemists. This means no chemists working for American companies in the future.
    *reform schooling. If a child does great in engineering but doesn't give 2 shits about English then teach him engineering! Forcing him to learn ELA or Spanish sure isn't going to help him in later life. The top visited articles on Wikipedia are justin beiber and lady gaga; what a smart population the US has! Encourage stuff of the 21st century like chemistry, engineering, electronics. Give some funding to programs like that for christ's sake.
    *$45,000 salary cap on all politician jobs.
    edited January 2011
    ^^ Regardless, I feel like that that charisma could have been used for something.... I guess we all did at some point. :facepalm:
    edited January 2011
    I love how he thinks america is on the path forward, yet housing sales are lower than during the great depression. I've had it with our government. They do not do what the people want, only what the politicians want. Not only that they waste all of our money, because it's not *their* money.

Smart thing to do:
    *remove most of the bullshit business regulations, they just send business to china.
    *gradually increase Chinese import taxes.
    *Lower the income tax. Seriously, more play $$ = more products bought. If the Chinese import tax is put into place then they will be american products.
    *tax breaks for small businesses
    ‎*remove a lot of the regulations on chemicals. Because there are hundreds of hoops you need to jump through to get chemicals there are no hobby chemists. This means no chemists working for American companies in the future.
    *reform schooling. If a child does great in engineering but doesn't give 2 shits about English then teach him engineering! Forcing him to learn ELA or Spanish sure isn't going to help him in later life. The top visited articles on Wikipedia are justin beiber and lady gaga; what a smart population the US has! Encourage stuff of the 21st century like chemistry, engineering, electronics. Give some funding to programs like that for christ's sake.

About the only thing you left out was abolishment of the Electoral Collegiate, two term limits for the House and the Senate, and elections for the Supreme court with a two term limit.
    edited January 2011

Obama kept mentioning South Korea a lot, and although there are some seriously fucked up shit going on there, I have to say that the single most important thing for the nation is reforming education into the South Korean model. American kids probably study about 10% of how and what Korean students study... STOP with the liberal arts educations. In Korea, if you want to be a singer, you go to a fucking school/program specifically designed for singing and performing from the age of 10 and mold yourself into the best celebrity you can be. You go into specifically designed high schools for science, math, foreign language, art, mechanics, fucking flight attending... and you go into college with those majors. The US is all about freedom of choice and all that and YEAH students can change their minds about "what they wanna be" but... that's not contributing much to the workforce and the strength of our academics.

If some gangsta ass kid hates math, science, and writing but he's a fucking ace at drawing, send him to fucking art school and stop FORCING him to complete a high school education based on English and math which is just gonna make him drop out and do graffitti on walls instead.

That's all.
    edited January 2011
    One thing I believe that could drastically help this economy would be repealing NAFTA. We need jobs to stay in America and heavy penalty's should be enforced on company's who outsource. Corporate greed through outsourcing only harms the American worker and loses American jobs.
    edited January 2011
    His reference to South Korea are a lead up to an Asian NAFTA.
  • KatzenklavierKatzenklavier Regular
    edited January 2011
    Yum, asian NAFTA.
    edited January 2011
    His reference to South Korea are a lead up to an Asian NAFTA.

It's all a part of his globalist agenda. Globalists truly do believe in a one world order. Not to sound like a conspiracy nut but their own words prove thats what they want.
  • CrazzyassCrazzyass Regular
    edited January 2011
    The speech was good in my opinion. That being said, all SOTU speeches are pretty much like this one. Looking in between the lines is far more interesting.

We at least know the legislative priorities for the next year or two. From what I can tell, we're looking at:

1) Immigration reform, at least partial.
    2) Investment in technology and infrastructure
    3) Deficit reduction measures
    4) Education reform to an extent
    5) Drawing remaining troops from Iraq and beginning to draw down from Afghan.
    6) Removing redundant government programs and regs.

In my opinion, all of those sound pretty good. We didn't get many details about immigration, but with R's controlling the House I'm sure it'll be pretty tame and moderate whatever it is.

The investments in infrastructure and tech is very good. He stated a goal of 80% renewable energy sources by 2035. This is certainly technologically possible and not an unreasonable date in my opinion, as long as the political will exists for it. I look forward to it being implemented.

All of the deficit reducing measures sounded like bullshit. $400 billion over a decade? Please. :rolleyes: That isn't going to do anything. I fucking hate dumbfuck Republicans, but maybe they'll actually come in handy for once. They're terrible about spending too much money as well, but they'll actually be frugal in this instance just to spite President Obama, which is kinda handy. I guess sometimes it's convenient to have mindless opposition to everything, eh?

Education reform is badly needed and if he models it after South Korea it'll be great.

Looking forward to getting the boys home from Iraq and finishing up in Afghanistan. That's $2 trillion that we'll never get back. Thanks Bush. :facepalm:

And of course, removing pointless regs off of business and trimming the healthcare bill's bullshitty laws is nice, too.

All in all, not bad. All of the haters are just repeating Republican talking point bullshit. The Republican and Tea Party responses were based on ignorance of data widely available to everyone, and were nearly painful to watch.
    edited January 2011
    ^^ All the haters are repeating tea party and republican talking points?? I'm hating on him and one look at my avatar or previous posts should show you that I'm about as far from the "Tea party" as you can get.

Do you really believe he's going to do any of the shit he said he would in that address? Remember how the troops were supposed to be pulled out 16 months into his presidency? Or what about how he said he would close gitmo?

Both the republicans and the democrats are the same party but with a different name. They both lie and will say whatever it takes in order to get votes and keep power. Why do you think he pushes for immigration reform? It's to gain the latino vote. Wake up man.
    edited January 2011
    ^^ All the haters are repeating tea party and republican talking points?? I'm hating on him and one look at my avatar or previous posts should show you that I'm about as far from the "Tea party" as you can get.

Do you really believe he's going to do any of the shit he said he would in that address? Remember how the troops were supposed to be pulled out 16 months into his presidency? Or what about how he said he would close gitmo?

Both the republicans and the democrats are the same party but with a different name. They both lie and will say whatever it takes in order to get votes and keep power. Why do you think he pushes for immigration reform? It's to gain the latino vote. Wake up man.

Your complaints are still similar to tea partiers. Though I appreciate you not being a tool, of course.

How is your opinion remotely helpful? Your view helps change nothing. He will at least put an effort out to most of the things he listed, and anything that can get done is at least a slight improvement upon the system.

Just because he's trying to gain the latino vote doesn't mean that reform isn't needed. I'm a pragmatist above all else. If dirty is how the system works, then dirty is how I will play in order to improve things. D's and R's are equally corrupt, but if the D's can get more productive shit done, even if it's for the wrong reasons, then I'll support it.

The D's may help themselves when they push energy or education reform, but that helps the country too. Waging war on nations at random helps no one except for the R's. Lesser of two evils, my friend.
    edited January 2011
    @Crazzyass someday many years from now you will realize what a ride you are being taken for.
    edited January 2011
    @Crazzyass someday many years from now you will realize what a ride you are being taken for.

And many years from now I'm sure you'll still be hanging around forums giving cryptic messages instead of arguing with actual points.
    edited January 2011
    Crazzyass wrote: »
    And many years from now I'm sure you'll still be hanging around forums giving cryptic messages instead of arguing with actual points.

So who is arguing?