New computer systems

edited January 2011 in Tech & Games
Someone I know just bought a new laptop. Brand spanking new, straight off the shelf, featuring some pretty great specifications and a nice CPU. What's the point in all of this though if the manufacturers just bog the whole thing down with absolute shit before you even get to use the system?

I just spent the last few hours going through the machine, un-installing crap and removing unneeded stuff which was serving no purpose but to bog the whole thing down and take up resources which could be used elsewhere. I then installed a few things, such as Google Chrome (with ad-block of course), Avast antivirus and Defraggler - all of which I hid in a nice little folder called "Maintenance" :D

I then installed the basic software including a copy of Microsoft Office, along with a few other things. But seriously, no one's going to miss any of the shit which comes with a new system :facepalm:

Comments

• LSA KingLSA King Regular
    edited January 2011
    You're telling me when I bought my Toshiba back in 2007. To tell you the truth I got fed up with uninstalling crap and then finding some stuff that is built in the Laptop is directly connected to some of the software so you can't uninstall it ALL. I ended up just doing a full format and using a full Windows Vista/7 install disc and my machine seemed to run a lot smoother and the lack of initial icons was just astonishing. When I got my laptop it can with like 20 of trial or bullshit Toshiba software.

I also found I had to do system restores using the disc they provide often and it just brings it all back, hence doing a full format and creating a new disc. It will pay off in the long run, trust me, especially when the 'puter is still young and fresh relatively untouched by using installations.
  • MayberryMayberry Regular
    edited January 2011
    When I got mine, I just reinstalled Windows. Much faster than going through and deleting stuff.
  • edited January 2011
    I didn't want to go through the hassle of formatting and installing a pirated copy of Windows, as this laptop is brand new and is 100% legit (something which I don't see much, which makes it feel all that more special). Plus, I had to activate Office on it (also a legit copy which was bought today) and I wanted to keep all the updates coming in etc.

Otherwise, I'd format that shit.
  • edited January 2011
    If you have a legit copy of windows use Microsoft Security Essentials instead of Avast/AVG/ClamWin. Otherwise those programs work great.
  • DysgraphiaDysgraphia Locked
    edited January 2011
    trx100 wrote: »
    I didn't want to go through the hassle of formatting and installing a pirated copy of Windows, as this laptop is brand new and is 100% legit (something which I don't see much, which makes it feel all that more special). Plus, I had to activate Office on it (also a legit copy which was bought today) and I wanted to keep all the updates coming in etc.

Just use an untouched .iso and use your own serial key. There's a vista/7 32 and 64bit torrents floating around TPB.

You can use Magic Jelly Bean to find your Office key.
    http://www.magicaljellybean.com/keyfinder/

• DfgDfg Admin
    edited January 2011
    Had this problem a while ago. I hate it and the worse part, they select the most retarded and useless programs.
    edited January 2011
    trx100 wrote: »

If it's legit, shouldn't it come with a Windows disk?
    edited January 2011
    Mayberry wrote: »
    If it's legit, shouldn't it come with a Windows disk?
    Nope. Desktops and laptops never come with an OEM Windows disk. They already have the sys. restore partition. Cheap faggots. They give you the sticker, but not the DVD. They might however through in some useless Norton 30day disk along with a driver disk.
    edited January 2011
    Dysgraphia wrote: »
    Nope. Desktops and laptops never come with an OEM Windows disk. They already have the sys. restore partition. Cheap faggots. They give you the sticker, but not the DVD. They might however through in some useless Norton 30day disk along with a driver disk.

Well mine did. It had the manufacturer's label on it, but it was for all intents and purposes, a genuine Windows disk.
    edited January 2011
    Well mine did. It had the manufacturer's label on it, but it was for all intents and purposes, a genuine Windows disk.
    Wow. My friend gets boxed laptops for an overall clean-up from customers, and I've yet to see a Windows disk. Not sure if the reseller has anything to do with them, but all of his customers purchase laptops from Bestbuy. When did you purchase your PC?
    edited January 2011
    Wow. My friend gets boxed laptops for an overall clean-up from customers, and I've yet to see a Windows disk. Not sure if the reseller has anything to do with them, but all of his customers purchase laptops from Bestbuy. When did you purchase your PC?

Summer 2009 at Best Buy.
    edited January 2011
    Summer 2009 at Best Buy.
    Aren't you in Mooseland though?
    edited January 2011
    Aren't you in Mooseland though?

My dad bought it down in Oregon while on a business trip. No tax :hai:
    edited January 2011
    Ahaha, that's the state I used on my iTunes profile to bypass an app tax.
  • AmieAmie Regular
    edited January 2011
    Pretty sure I already posted this link here, but anyway, here's legal download links for Windows 7 .iso's , straight from Microsoft. Just scroll down till the iso method part. And I'm also a fan of clean installs, I always completely format new boxes.
    edited January 2011
    Post the Vista torrents too!