"Improving" The Brain

McSkluvinMcSkluvin Regular
edited January 2011 in Life
I say improving the brain in parentheses because there is supposedly no proof that the brain actually improves from anything. So basically, it's a guide to develop more muscle memory, which may or may not improve your brain and help it work better overall.
escher_hands.gif

First part is improving your less dominant hand. Unless you are already ambidextrous, you most likely have a dominant hand that is used more often than the other, less dominant hand. Obviously, you have developed muscle memory with the dominant hand doing various tasks. So the goal is to develop muscle memory with the less dominant hand. This can be done by simply using the less dominant hand in everyday tasks, such as using a fork while eating, opening doors, using a tool such as a hammer, etc. Doing this might feel awkward at first, but as you build muscle memory, it will start feeling natural. Also, a key thing is to not stop using your dominant hand, as you might start losing muscle memory by not doing certain tasks with it. It is best to keep up a balance once you get used to using your less dominant hand.

The second part is related to the first, and involves using both hands at once. The activities that use both hands are usually quite different than one-handed tasks, and a lot of these tasks may use both hands to do different things, such as playing the drums or guitar, driving (With stick shift), orgies, etc. One way to test your ability in this is to try patting yourself on the head while rubbing your belly with the other hand, or vice-versa (You may also switch up hands and motions). It's kind of hard to find activities that use both hands like that, but you can just use both of them as often as possible in daily activities, and likely you'll find times where you can be using them at the same time. Just like how it is hard to get used to using your less dominant hand, it is also difficult to get use to using two hands at once, especially for separate activities. It is best to get used to efficiently using both hands separately, before trying this.

Comments

• McSkluvinMcSkluvin Regular
    edited October 2010
    Screw you guys........

:thumbsdown::angry::thumbsup:
  • MayberryMayberry Regular
    edited October 2010
    One of the best ways to do this is to just tape your dominant arm behind your back to force you to use your other arm. However, care must be taken as your dominant arm can lose dominance due to disuse.

Also, the "no proof' part isn't exactly true. It's known that the motor and somatosensory cortices of the brain will change to associate with areas of the body that are used more often. Although it isn't the only reason, it is one reason why practicing is effective.
  • DailyDaily Regular
    edited October 2010
    Not bad, but copy/pasta is not the way forward, negro! We want some original shizz up in this bitch!
  • McSkluvinMcSkluvin Regular
    edited October 2010
    Daily wrote: »
    Not bad, but copy/pasta is not the way forward, negro! We want some original shizz up in this bitch!

This was not copy/pasta, I wrote it. :facepalm:
  • edited October 2010
    The best way to do this would be through the use of mental exercises and various chemicals.
  • DeepThoughtDeepThought Acolyte
    edited December 2010
    This is me improving my brain by writing with my left hand
    brainiac.jpg
  • AmieAmie Regular
    edited December 2010
    McSkluvin wrote: »
    This can be done by simply using the less dominant hand in everyday tasks, such as using a fork while eating

What kind of uncivilised bastard holds a fork with his right hand?

Oh, right, table manners don't exist in the US.

Fun piece of trivia: The KGB (soviet counterpart of the CIA) uncovered several american undercover agents because they ate holding their fork in their right hand instead of fork left and knife right as every civilised European does.
  • MayberryMayberry Regular
    edited December 2010
    Amie wrote: »
    Fun piece of trivia: The KGB (soviet counterpart of the CIA) uncovered several american undercover agents because they ate holding their fork in their right hand instead of fork left and knife right as every civilised European does.

When I heard about this, they were German, not Soviet.
  • homeslice4700homeslice4700 Regular
    edited January 2011
    what kind of douche eats with a fork in his left hand? :facepalm:
  • AmieAmie Regular
    edited January 2011

The kinda who has table manners.
  • edited January 2011

Any civilized person of European stock.
  • DirtySanchezDirtySanchez Regular
    edited January 2011

I do:angry:
  • edited January 2011
    I do:angry:

Even he knows how to hold a goddamn fork.
  • dr rockerdr rocker Regular
    edited January 2011

Anyone who has a bit of class who can cut their own food up. More than 90% of the worlds population is right handed. You hold your fork in the left hand as while cutting, your dominant hand is doing the work - the fork stays still and holds the meat.

Back to the OP. Improve your brain by understanding a system - how it will intereact and react based on any input - be it a computer programe, an engine or a heating system - your brain will carve neural pathways to copy this system. Once you have learned how to learn like this once, you will know how to transfer it to other systems and learn things inside out very quickly.

The only thing you have to do with your brain is increase its potential and speed of learning. Once this is done, anything is possible and you will see some unexpected but very worthwhile side effects from this.
  • homeslice4700homeslice4700 Regular
    edited January 2011
    I suppose if im cutting steak up or something the fork might be in my left hand but if it doesn't need cut or anything like that the fork is definitely in the right hand
  • SliceSlice Regular
    edited January 2011
    I suppose if im cutting steak up or something the fork might be in my left hand but if it doesn't need cut or anything like that the fork is definitely in the right hand

This, I often switch hands when I eat but I never cut food with my left hand.

Might try doing it the proper way though, so I don't look like a durrrr American when I go to other countries :p