Recover from a "whitey" or "greenie" after smoking too much. [Published]

RemadERemadE Global Moderator
edited September 2011 in Man Cave
How to recover after smoking too much weed.

Ok so there you are, chilling with some mates, passing the joint, bong or whatever and after a while it hits you. A drop in blood pressure, blood sugar and sane thoughts. It happens to the best of us and in my part of the world it's called a "Whitey" as you go pale and feel like you want to be sick. Some people call it a "greenie" or something else. It differs from region to region. Just don't be dicks like we were to a kid throwing a whitey at the smokers area in College. He got so much shit thrown at him, abuse hurled and thrown into a fence, eventually puking on one of the biggest dicks there. Pretty funny.
So what causes them?

Cannabis affects the blood sugar and pressure levels. It explains the red-eye and wooziness people sometimes experience.
Whiteying is perceived by the stoner subculture as the result of using too much cannabis within too short a period of time. In fact the factors that usually facilitate fainting, such as tiredness, lack of fluids and food, and a hot and humid environment, as well as natural hypotension, are just as important as the amount of cannabis involved. Therefore, one can 'throw' a whitey having used only what may be regarded as a perfectly moderate dosage. Whiteying sometimes involves vomiting and shakiness. It has been alleged in some internet sites that Whiteying (in this case, vomiting) is a result of having low blood sugar
Happens when smoking too much weed, you go pale, feel dizzy and drowsy, and start to vomit. When on a whitey you often stop talking. If you whitey keep smoking more weed, until you have passed it. Sleeping while on a whitey makes you spin out and feel worse.
Enough with the science, faggot. How do I avoid these?

Know your body...
No, not fapping. Just know your limits. Much like drinking (Yes I hate making weed/booze comparisons as there is none, but the theory still stands). Basically smoke in different situations, mindsets and areas to know where your anxirty levels are, and more importantly to realise what causes you to feel ill. Do you feel worse when you walk? How about uphill? What about at a party situation with all those people? Everyone reacts differently, so knowing your limits is a great way to be more comfortable after a bad experience.

The "tolerance adjustment" method
For this you will need access to a large quantity of Cannabis. The higher potency the better. Right, now smoke that in a week and raise that tolerance, bitch! If you are used to feeling less stoned than you usally do, then this is a good method. Oh, and if you have a load of weed lying around or the funds to afford it.

The "sweet munchies" method
As reccommended by myself. I smoked a 1g blunt of Lemon Skunk (I Used to grow) before i boarded the bus to College (High School for American folk). It was all going swimmingly until I got the warm feeling of vomit in my throat. Music soon became evil, tunnel vision set in and I had to get help. I actually texted reject from &T and he said to "eat something sugary or minty" and it will soon subside. I suppose it makes sense as your blood sugar lowers, so eating or drinking sweet things rebalances it. Kinda like Diabeetus. When I got to College after gorging on Ice Gems I bought a Lucozade and sat red-eyed in my lecture, and sure enough I felt better within 30 minutes. Of course, it depends on if you just ate etc. Times do vary.

The gum method
Sometimes minty things also help. A bit of gum, or some mint sweets. No idea why, but it kinda works. Just don't have too many and get the shits as a result.

The "Anchor" method
My Counsellor actually taught me this for bouts of Anxiety.
Close your eyes, relax.
Notice 5 things you can hear. Think fo them and picture them.
Notice 5 things you can touch. Anything. Cock included. Whatever. Just chill and realise your place in the scheme of things.
Now open your eyes and notice 5 things you can see. What colour are they? What do they do?
Just realise and bring yourself back. Works quite nicely.

The Music method
Not the best, but put on some good tunes. Just relax. Realise it's only temporary, and you are not alone.

//

v 1.0
1/2/2011

Comments

• NumberjumboNumberjumbo Regular
    edited January 2011
    Pretty informative, will definitely help a lot of weed noobs on this site.
  • JestAJestA Regular
    edited January 2011
    lol i remember when this would happen to me. it sucked hardcore especialy not being high after i had puked. i got around it by smoking more weed, but some of these tips would have helped lol.
  • edited February 2011
    Awesome guide, thanks for the information. Fortunately I haven't ever greened out properly YET, but I've had a few pretty uncomfortable experiences. This is definitely good information for both new and old smokers :D
  • SliceSlice Regular
    edited February 2011
    That's a good guide. I've only ever whiteyed once or twice, and I didn't know it had a name. The one time I remember I was smoking with my buddies at the top of this big hill in the woods outside the dorms. We just ripped like 5 joints of some serious skunk, and my face went really pale and I felt like I was going to pass out. This never happened to me from weed before so I started to freak out. My buddy Josh just looked at me and lol'd, said I'd be fine I just need to get my blood moving, which it was once we got back to the bottom of the hill. I wen't back to my dorm room and ate a shitload of food and felt better. :cool:

Still weird though, didn't know that could happen from weed.
  • VermicideVermicide Regular
    edited February 2011
    Good guide, could be useful to someone.

Only happened to me once after doing 6 or 7 shotties in about 10 minutes. Spent the next 4 hours hugging the toilet alternating between vomiting and semi-consciousness. Good times.

But yeah the sweet thing is what I use. Normally have a bag of skittles or something on me if I'm smoking when I'm out for if I need to sober up a bit.
  • SliceSlice Regular
    edited February 2011
    Vermicide wrote: »
    Normally have a bag of skittles or something on me if I'm smoking when I'm out for if I need to sober up a bit.

That's a really good idea.
  • RemadERemadE Global Moderator
    edited February 2011
    Vermicide wrote: »
    But yeah the sweet thing is what I use. Normally have a bag of skittles or something on me if I'm smoking when I'm out for if I need to sober up a bit.

Funny you should say that! When I whiteyed at College, all I could do was say "give me the skittles! They're colourful!"..helped a lot.
  • edited February 2011
    I'm glad that I can say that I've never experienced this as a result of smoking weed.
  • Rumple ForeskinRumple Foreskin Regular
    edited February 2011
    i recently took about a month off from smoking to help with my tolerance. i have none what so ever now. last week i smoked with some friends and this happened. i slowed down and took a breather, drank some oj, and layed down on the couch. it passed and i could enjoy my high again but i had a fucking mini panic attack at the start
  • edited February 2011
    Never happened to me before but it's good to know just in case it does.

I feel like we're in the minority.

I started smoking weed when I was like 13 and I've never gotten so high I've
    "thrown a whitey." It's sort of always been like cigarettes. You just smoke when you feel like it, to supplement whatever you're doing at the time.

This is an excellent guide though. I have seen people get too fucked up from smoking. I always thought it was bullshit and they were being dramatic. Apparently people actually do get too high.
  • NumberjumboNumberjumbo Regular
    edited February 2011
    I hardly get too high now. I'm sober within like, an hour max. Takes me a few decent cones for me to get baked.

I've only whited out once though. Had like 7 spots and 2 buckies.
  • edited February 2011
    In time any proper weed smoker will outgrow these. Build a better tolerance and smoke more dank.
  • StephenPBarrettStephenPBarrett Adviser
    edited February 2011
    ^ This. I it used to happen to me almost everytime I would smoke but I outgrew it. This is a good guide though and useful if you're a new smoker. Old smokers can use it when smoking with a noob.
    edited February 2011
    Ironic I made this. I just had to ut it all into practice :(
  • Darth BeaverDarth Beaver Meine Ehre heißt Treue
    edited February 2011
    I have been smoking weed since 1975 and this has never happened to me or anyone I know.
  • fr0st_Bytefr0st_Byte Sumpin' c00L
    edited February 2011
    I have been smoking weed since 1975 and this has never happened to me or anyone I know.

It happens. It often happens to users who do not smoke often or when it is unusually potent herb.

The only time it happened to me was some very high grade ice hash that was consumed from a volcano vaporizer after eating some very good cannabutter on cookies made from the same hash.

I think it also has something to do with low blood pressure or standing up too quickly right after something some potent bud.
    edited February 2011
    I am not doubting that it happens I have just never seen it in 35 years of smoking dope.
  • Gary OakGary Oak Regular
    edited February 2011
    I am not doubting that it happens I have just never seen it in 35 years of smoking dope.
    It's probably just because you don't hang out with high school / college kids anymore and the weed you smoked was less potent back then. I've never gotten this. I know my limits pretty well.
    edited February 2011
    Gary Oak wrote: »
    It's probably just because you don't hang out with high school / college kids anymore and the weed you smoked was less potent back then. I've never gotten this. I know my limits pretty well.

Well you are right on both counts. The weed that is available now is much better than the average weed was back then. Although if you had the right connections you could get some shit that would cripple you even then. And yeah, the youngest people I party with are probably in there late 20's early 30's.
  • edited February 2011
    RemadE wrote: »
    Ironic I made this. I just had to ut it all into practice :(

Was your guide very good at overcoming the effects of greening out? :D
    edited February 2011
    It was actually! I texted reject off here and sipped some Lemonade. Felt better within 20 minutes. That said, that was the longest 20 minutes I've had to endure. You live and learn lol.
  • c00nahc00nah Semo-Regulars
    edited February 2011
    I remember the first time I witnessed this happening. I walk into a garage with about 6 people all blitzed, and one kid who never said a word while I was there was hella pale and looked like he was noddin. They said he was just really high... we called it an overdose, looked at eachother, and laughed at the concept.
    I guess this is about as close as you can get to a THC OD yea?

I've never experienced it though, even from eating a bunch of pot. Is it only from smoking?
  • edited February 2011
    c00nah wrote: »
    I remember the first time I witnessed this happening. I walk into a garage with about 6 people all blitzed, and one kid who never said a word while I was there was hella pale and looked like he was noddin. They said he was just really high... we called it an overdose, looked at eachother, and laughed at the concept.
    I guess this is about as close as you can get to a THC OD yea?

I've never experienced it though, even from eating a bunch of pot. Is it only from smoking?

I've heard of people going to the hospital after ingesting too much. Something about pressure being built up in their head so bad they get a super nasty headache. My friend told me it happened to him and he had to get blood drained to relieve the pressure. I'm skeptical but he never gave me a reason not to trust him.

I'm not sure if you can get that bad from smoking it because you're not taking in as much as when you eat it. I think you can just get sick, pale, and dizzy like your buddy in the garage - especially if you're a new smoker.

Yes, you can OD on THC but you have to get a lot in you somehow and it isn't fatal.
  • c00nahc00nah Semo-Regulars
    edited February 2011
    I've heard of people going to the hospital after ingesting too much. Something about pressure being built up in their head so bad they get a super nasty headache. My friend told me it happened to him and he had to get blood drained to relieve the pressure. I'm skeptical but he never gave me a reason not to trust him.

I'm not sure if you can get that bad from smoking it because you're not taking in as much as when you eat it. I think you can just get sick, pale, and dizzy like your buddy in the garage - especially if you're a new smoker.

Yes, you can OD on THC but you have to get a lot in you somehow and it isn't fatal.

I've never heard a personal account of someone who had to be hospitalized for too much weed...it must be rare. In my area it happens to dogs all the time though. Like one vet said 2 or 3 dogs a month come in with THC poisoning. From eating butter or whatever it was cooked in.
  • GotTwoThumbsGotTwoThumbs Regular
    edited April 2011
    This happened to me once at a party. shit sucks especially if you fall asleep. I fell asleep and puked on this dudes parents bed. somehow i wound up on a couch and this fuck hole thought it would be funny to dump BBQ sauce on my face. fuckin prick. for some reason ever since that night any time i eat something with ginger in it i puke. it was all good though cuz i puched that asshole in this dudes moldy ass pool. gotta be careful when you got upwards of four smoking utensils in circulation
  • edited August 2011
    RemadE wrote: »
    The "Anchor" method
    My Counsellor actually taught me this for bouts of Anxiety.
    Close your eyes, relax.
    Notice 5 things you can hear. Think fo them and picture them.
    Notice 5 things you can touch. Anything. Cock included. Whatever. Just chill and realise your place in the scheme of things.
    Now open your eyes and notice 5 things you can see. What colour are they? What do they do?
    Just realise and bring yourself back. Works quite nicely.

Dont do that.
    Relaxing and regaining perception is good general advice, but dont be cutting out stimuli and focusing on others. Theres a good chance it would make it worse.
  • IllAdvisedIllAdvised Acolyte
    edited August 2011
    I once did this at my Mom's house from smokin' to much, I was feeling like shit and it worsened when I tried to lay down but after puking I was fine and started smoking again.
    edited August 2011
    To the idiots ITT, you know who you are, you can not OD on THC. There are no medically documented cases of THC casued death or overdose.
  • edited August 2011
    Greening out really does suck though, and that much is true. That paranoia is horrible, and the more you think about it, the worse it gets :(
  • r00sterr00ster Semo-Regulars
    edited August 2011
    I fuckin' literally LOL'ed at "Kinda like Diabeetus" I'm still snickering at that shit.

It was really cool to read this though. That shit has happened to me so much over the years that I quit smoking completely 2 years ago. Oddly enough i've never heard anyone mention it. One of the last times it happened I had a major panic attack. I was certain I was going to die... a lot of other crazy shit happened too. It sucked so hard I swore off weed and hadn't smoked anything until 2 weeks ago when a friend stopped by and I took one toke off his J. Even off of that little shit I was getting paranoid about becoming paranoid.
  • BigHarryDickBigHarryDick Cock Bite
    edited August 2011
    I was hoping you were talking about the cure for Coke aka "whitey".

How fucking wrong i was.
  • TraumTraum Regular
    edited August 2011
    ^ I thought the same thing.

This is a pretty neat guide. Nice to see this voiced in the open. This happens to me almost every time I smoke, to the point I just quit smoking a while back. I used to smoke constantly, usually pretty good stuff too, but for some reason it just started making me sick every time I did it so I stopped liking it.

I had always thought it was kinda weird that I could go 5-6 years of heavy smoking, then suddenly just start getting really sick from it.
  • edited August 2011
    To the idiots ITT, you know who you are, you can not OD on THC. There are no medically documented cases of THC casued death or overdose.

Yes but you can have a shitty fucking time and be all messed up for a few days.

Theres links between mental health issues and drug abuse, but thats a real chicken/egg situation and its really hard to get accurate figures.
  • TraumTraum Regular
    edited August 2011
    ^ I agree with this.
    edited August 2011
    I guess some see overdose as the lethal side, whereas others see it as reaching the undesirable effects. For example when I overdosed on Morphine, I just mental constipation for 4 days, whereas people hear that I "overdosed" on an opiate and assume I was close to death.
    I wasn't, but I sure felt like I was.
  • BonnieCobbBonnieCobb New Arrival
    edited September 2011

You're absolutely right, you can't die from weed. That's why they called this "whitey" thing an OD. Because that's the worst that can happen to you.

I always thought it was kinda funny when people got "too high" and I usually thought they were exaggerating, but then it happened to me once, despite being a regular long-term smoker. I think it happened to me, anyway, except I went to go lie down and it really helped. Ten minutes later I got up clammy but otherwise totally fine. Maybe what I had was different. Do people ever get weird inner ear vibrations when whitey? Whiting? Whatever the correct form is, I'm not familiar with this slang.
    edited September 2011
    I get my whole body vibrating, but I know it's only from my ears. Makes me 10 times more disorientated. Last time I threw a big whitey I had also been drinking, and was in the toilet with my head hanging over it for about 20 minutes each time. Thought I was fine, came back to my mates room above a pretty upmarket pub, listened to this. The heartbeats didn't help

then ran back. I was dry heaving during the second episode of that night.