£55 for a bottle of beer?....Fuck Off!

bornkillerbornkiller AdministratorIn your girlfriends snatch
edited February 2011 in Spurious Generalities
41% - I wonder if it tastes like beer or meths :confused:
World's strongest beer goes on sale at £55 a bottle ... and is so powerful just ONE GULP will put you over the drink-drive limit

A beer so powerful just one gulp would push you over the drink-drive limit has gone on sale.
Sink The Bismarck is believed to be the strongest beer in the world with a 41 per cent alcohol content. Brewed by Scottish firm BrewDog it costs £55 for a 330ml bottle.
The drink, which works out as £95 per pint, has four times as many hops than ordinary beers, say its makers.
The beer is supposed to be drunk in small quantities because it is so strong and has been designed with a screw top so it can be resealed.

article-1354411-0D1087E5000005DC-744_468x286.jpg Sink The Bismarck is believed to be the strongest beer in the world with a 41 per cent alcohol content. Brewed by Scottish firm BrewDog it costs £55 for a 330ml bottle

Comments

• Mr.HappyMr.Happy Acolyte
    edited February 2011
    As soon as I saw that the article was from the Daily Mail, I knew there'd be some ridiculous scaremongering about irresponsible drinking in there somewhere. Like anyone planning to drink irresponsibly is gonna spend 55 quid on an amount of alcohol you could get for a fiver.

It sounds interesting (although it's old, like at least a year old, cheers Daily Mail) but at that price it's just a money-making ploy to take money of rich folk who want to try something unique, innit?
  • RemadERemadE Global Moderator
    edited February 2011
    Strange how you always hear about how "Skunk" is getting stronger but not booze. Interesting read.
  • bornkillerbornkiller Administrator In your girlfriends snatch
    edited February 2011
    RemadE wrote: »
    Strange how you always hear about how "Skunk" is getting stronger but not booze. Interesting read.
    qft! :(
  • edited February 2011
    That's some hardcore booze right there! I wonder how long it's going to be until we hear of someone downing the whole bottle in front of their buddies to look cool...
  • RemadERemadE Global Moderator
    edited February 2011
    trx100 wrote: »
    That's some hardcore booze right there! I wonder how long it's going to be until we hear of someone downing the whole bottle in front of their buddies to look cool...

Imagine getting it for a girl...no more roofies needed!

"Yeah it's regular beer..:rolleyes:"
  • edited February 2011
    Instead of spending $88 on one bottle, the more economical solution would be to just buy your favorite beer and mix in some Everclear.
  • StephenPBarrettStephenPBarrett Adviser
    edited February 2011
    Pft. What a waste of money. I do wonder how it tastes though.
  • bornkillerbornkiller Administrator In your girlfriends snatch
    edited February 2011
    Pft. What a waste of money. I do wonder how it tastes though.
    It's got me a little curious to it's flavour. But the only way I'll ever get to try it is if someone leaves their bottle at bar or table & I conveniently steal it. :rolleyes:
  • MayberryMayberry Regular
    edited February 2011
    It's technically not real beer. Fangly could explain it...
  • DirtySanchezDirtySanchez Regular
    edited February 2011
    If it was made by fermentation it's a beer. If it was distilled than it's a liquor. So it can be a real beer no matter what the alcohol content may be.
  • dr rockerdr rocker Regular
    edited February 2011
    It seems that it is frozen a few times to freeze the water - the ice is probably then skimmed off. I have done this with cider to make 'AppleJack' - its a kind of farmers 'brandy' where back in the day, kegs were kept outside to freeze some and then the remaining liquid (with the unfrozen alcohol) was taken from it.

It is probably brewed to around 22% with super yeasts and then frozen and 'shocked' - get a liquid down to 0c and while it is still a liquid, give it a physical shock and ice crystals form very rapidly in the drink, meaning the water does not lock in any of the goodness in the ice. This slush will then be removed from the liquid.

It is still tecnically a beer as since it was brewed it has had nothing added to fortify it, however, I would more class it as a barley wine.