Tony Hawk's Pro Skater - Great Series or Greatest Series?

edited February 2011 in Spurious Generalities
These games rule. In fact, they're so damn amazing I have to make a thread about them right now. I remember the first time I ever played on the THPS games and I was at my friend's house. We were on the Dreamcast playing Tony Hawk's 2. I found it amazing, and followed the series very closely after that.

The games were great (until recently, when they started getting shit) with great storylines, funny characters and challenging goals. The soundtracks were awesome too. I think my favorite game of the series was either THPS3 or THUG 2. So many challenges, so many goals to complete. I even went through the game getting all the gaps afterwards.

Basically, THPS games are epic - discuss.

Comments

• Gary OakGary Oak Regular
    edited February 2011
    Best games. THUG 2=Awesome.
  • edited February 2011
    These games were actually my childhood. I got into skateboarding after playing them as well, which was cool. I really want to get myself a PS2 and play through them again, because the nostalgia levels would be through the roof :(
  • RemadERemadE Global Moderator
    edited February 2011
    I still get huge nostalgic cravings for Tony Hawk games. Fuck the new ones, I was no anti-aliasing and old-school tunes
  • edited February 2011
    The new ones suck man :( They really messed it all up with unrealistic challenges and crummy board control. I liked being able to do flip tricks with square, grabs with circle etc. None of this stick wiggling and body movements.

They ruined it for me :(
  • jewnosejewnose Regular
    edited February 2011
    It's the best series of it's genre. But then again it is the genre.

It's one of the best overall because the games were all so good up to a certain point. The Need For Speed series is a great series as well. The games were all good, also up to a certain point.

So for me it's a tie between Tony Hawk and NFS.
  • RemadERemadE Global Moderator
    edited February 2011
    Aww yeah!
  • My Mom Is DeadMy Mom Is Dead Regular
    edited February 2011
    I remember being unbeatable at THUG2. An unstoppable force, with all the powers of hell at my command.
    Then my brother-in-law, who had grown up nearly exclusively playing the series, kicked my ass hard. I was good, and still am, I haven't met anyone else who I couldn't royally pwn, but my brother-in-law was re-fucking-cockulous good.
    It's a lost cause to play that guy. In his prime (he hasn't played in a few years, so he might be rusty) he could bust Three-Million point combos on a regular basis--in THPS3, before all the cheap ass manual variations.