MAek Ur OwN AbSiNtHe [Published]

edited February 2011 in Man Cave
NEITHER I NOR TOTSE WILL BE RESPONSIBLE FOR THE STUPIDITY READERS MAY PERFORM WHILE USING THIS GUIDE

Meterials Required

1. one part α/β-Thujone containing plant material (Salvia officinalis or Artemisia absinthium)

2. a wort distilled to one's preferred flavoring or some spirit like eau de vie

3. one part fennel seeds

4. one part crushed anise seeds

5. yeast, depending on the size of batch (1-2 lb. yeast per 1000 gallons)

6. a still

7. a fermentation vat

8. a hydrometer and cylinder (optional)

9. Some common sense (I hope)
field-of-dreams-absinthe-2-466x308.jpg
The Holy Trinity

Pre-Distillation Process

Mash Production

First we make a wort by selecting a sugar or starch laden plant material and preparing it according to its nature. This may involve boiling or allowing germination and will require research upon the part of the reader. Depending on the amount of yeast added, materials, and setup, the time it takes for alcohol to kill the yeast will vary. Generally 7-14 days (one can find the finer points of this in many a book on brewing) is the time it takes to reach 5-10% abv.

Thujone Addition

*NOTE THAT ONE COULD DISTILL THE THUJONE CONTENT INTO AN OIL FIRST. MOAR INFO IN ADDENDUM

Then we add our thujone and fennel content, stir vigorously, and let it sit for approximately 4 to 8 weeks. This process takes time and so I read has an art to it.
*ALSO NOTE THAT MUCH OF THE THUJONE WILL BE BROKEN DOWN DURING THE DISTILLATION PROCESS. THIS IS NOT NECESSARILY A BAD THING. IT IS TRADITION. ASK NAPOLEON AND THOSE FRENCHIES. THOSE "ABSINTHE KITS" DO NOT MAKE THE TRADITIONAL DEFINITION OF ABSINTHE!

Distillation Process

This shit is pretty simple: boil --> vapor --> product. The only thing one might have to worry about is vapor pressure so make sure the reflux/distillation adapter isn't clogged. Use a pot still for more flavor. Also, one could add a higher proof fennel/anise pre-distilled to make the product a higher proof without having to distill a second time, destroying more thujone.

Post-Distillation Process

Maceration, Pt. II

At this point, your colorless, refined product should be sitting before you to await its coloring. Many use mint and like foodstuff plants for a second maceration, leading to the final color and flavor profile. Use a tea bag material to minimize the number of particulates,

At this point one can pour come in a cylinder and use a hydrometer to check the proof.
absinthe-green-fairy-drink.jpg

Addenda

Some stuff on hydrometry
EDIT: I will look into oil distillation soon

Comments

• jamie madroxjamie madrox Sith Lord
    edited February 2011
    Cool guide bro :thumbsup:
  • MooseKnuckleMooseKnuckle Regular
    edited February 2011
    had a friend maek his own absinthe, tasted like shit. didn't have effects of real absinthe too.
  • edited February 2011
    Pakistanis sniff cum
  • edited February 2011
    had a friend maek his own absinthe, tasted like shit. didn't have effects of real absinthe too.

How did he make it? It's not supposed to be very different from normal alcohol and always tastes like shit. That sickeningly sweet taste is the anise making its full appearance. Absente has the same nauseating essence and has less virtue than even homemade absinthe.
  • MooseKnuckleMooseKnuckle Regular
    edited February 2011
    that idk. just tasted nothing like absinthe. i'll direct him to this guide though. or make it myself
  • edited February 2011
    that idk. just tasted nothing like absinthe. i'll direct him to this guide though. or make it myself

Also there is contention as to the role of thujone in the alleged psychedelic effect of absinthe. Some think myristicin is responsible for the effect. There's a Frenchie somewhere unwilling to share his secret. The method described above is a combination of my research and common sense but would love more authoritative sources on the subject. Expect this thread to change in time as I learn more.
  • fr0st_Bytefr0st_Byte Sumpin' c00L
    edited February 2011
    Good guide, but I would add a recommendation that people get some experience in homebrewing before trying something like this.

Wow is this FATTY actually being a contributing member of the community?:eek::eek::eek: What's this board coming to. Also I have noticed you not being online a lot recently. Your middle school teacher assign you a science project or something?lawl:D

You need to PM me your AIM name so I can troll you in real-time, bruh. Damn I can't hardly keep my eyes open or my head up via #4 dope and 2.5mg clonazepam.

Also a good way to tell if your Absinthe is authentic is let your brew come to room temp then pour the thinnest stream of cold water you can make into it. The brew should turn from that teal blue color to more of a emerald/aqua-marine type color. I'm pretty sure that is the sequence it happens in. Either teal to emerald or emerald to teal.
  • edited February 2011
    fr0st_Byte wrote: »
    Wow is this FATTY actually being a contributing member of the community?:eek::eek::eek: What's this board coming to. Also I have noticed you not being online a lot recently. Your middle school teacher assign you a science project or something?lawl:D

You need to PM me your AIM name so I can troll you in real-time, bruh. Damn I can't hardly keep my eyes open or my head up via #4 dope and 2.5mg clonazepam.

Also a good way to tell if your Absinthe is authentic is let your brew come to room temp then pour the thinnest stream of cold water you can make into it. The brew should turn from that teal blue color to more of a emerald/aqua-marine type color. I'm pretty sure that is the sequence it happens in. Either teal to emerald or emerald to teal.

I am the most contributory member here.

You are not a good enough troll to rate my AIM screennames.

Try harder, sweet tits.
    P.S. Pakistanis sniff cum
    edited February 2011

Try harder, sweet tits.

Fuck yeah right. Won't happen again.
  • JestAJestA Regular
    edited February 2011
    Ok i could do this or buy a bottle from over sea's for 80 us monies + shiping and handling.
  • edited February 2011
    JestA wrote: »
    Ok i could do this or buy a bottle from over sea's for 80 us monies + shiping and handling.

Nice. Under the table import?
  • SlartibartfastSlartibartfast Global Moderator -__-
    edited February 2011
    I bet my neighbors make this in their garage. Their's a strong smell of aniseed coming from their house and they always stay up late playing cards. They have a helluva lot of rotten grapes as well
  • i<3Shroomsi<3Shrooms Acolyte
    edited February 2011
    I bet my neighbors make this in their garage. Their's a strong smell of aniseed coming from their house and they always stay up late playing cards. They have a helluva lot of rotten grapes as well
    Go join the fun! :)
  • edited February 2011
    I read the guide once, twice, and again to be sure. I want to bring up a few problems I have with it. I do this with no animosity towards the OP, but strictly in the interests of keeping things at least somewhat factual when it comes to guides.

No disrespect intended, but there are several flaws in this method.

The first two herbs mentioned contain no psychoactives. Salvia O. is simple garden sage and nothing I looked up even hinted at thujone content, or psychoactive compounds of any sort. Juniper is a good source of myrsticine, if you are making certain chems this could be handy, otherwise it is just used as a flavoring for gin. Wormwood is the real deal, and I can't figure why the others are listed as alternatives.

Fennel seed has insignificant sugar content, and is therefore unsuitable for making a wort for brewing purposes. Worts are made from grains or vegetables with a high starch and sugar content, like corn or rye. Sprouted fennel may contain more sugars than the seed but I can't see it as enough to get a high enough sugar content for brewing.

What I think has happened is you have omitted a step. The mixture of fennel, wormwood, and anise should be introduced to a batch of high test spirits like raw Eaux de Vie, steeped, then re distilled.

The last bit about coloring and further flavoring is spot on, so far as I can tell.

A good absinthe method would be a great thing to have on totse, so please take this as constructive criticism, do some more research, and correct your method.(or tell me to fuck off, up to you)

I have tried Absinthe, good stuff too, there is a cottage industry springing up in my home town area making a product that is quite close to the original French.
    http://tabooabsinthe.com/home.html

I did 4 2oz shots one night, at almost $30 a toss(the way the waitress did the whole ritual, burning sugar and all was soooooo cool). But aside from the alcohol, I honestly could have gotten the same buzz off one good toke. The hangover however, was almost an experience in itself. I was paralyzed by waves of nausea that almost felt like pain, and I couldn't eat for half the day.

C/O
    "devout hedonist"
  • edited February 2011
    I read the guide once, twice, and again to be sure. I want to bring up a few problems I have with it. I do this with no animosity towards the OP, but strictly in the interests of keeping things at least somewhat factual when it comes to guides.

No disrespect intended, but there are several flaws in this method.

The first two herbs mentioned contain no psychoactives. Salvia O. is simple garden sage and nothing I looked up even hinted at thujone content, or psychoactive compounds of any sort. Juniper is a good source of myrsticine, if you are making certain chems this could be handy, otherwise it is just used as a flavoring for gin. Wormwood is the real deal, and I can't figure why the others are listed as alternatives.

Fennel seed has insignificant sugar content, and is therefore unsuitable for making a wort for brewing purposes. Worts are made from grains or vegetables with a high starch and sugar content, like corn or rye. Sprouted fennel may contain more sugars than the seed but I can't see it as enough to get a high enough sugar content for brewing.

What I think has happened is you have omitted a step. The mixture of fennel, wormwood, and anise should be introduced to a batch of high test spirits like raw Eaux de Vie, steeped, then re distilled.

The last bit about coloring and further flavoring is spot on, so far as I can tell.

A good absinthe method would be a great thing to have on totse, so please take this as constructive criticism, do some more research, and correct your method.(or tell me to fuck off, up to you)

I have tried Absinthe, good stuff too, there is a cottage industry springing up in my home town area making a product that is quite close to the original French.
    http://tabooabsinthe.com/home.html

I did 4 2oz shots one night, at almost $30 a toss(the way the waitress did the whole ritual, burning sugar and all was soooooo cool). But aside from the alcohol, I honestly could have gotten the same buzz off one good toke. The hangover however, was almost an experience in itself. I was paralyzed by waves of nausea that almost felt like pain, and I couldn't eat for half the day.

C/O
    "devout hedonist"

Now THAT'S what I'm talking about. By all means, correct me. I made this article intending to both provide information to &T and to myself; no disrespect is taken.

I would like to contend though that essential oil content of Salvia officinalis (which do note there is much contention as to the nature behind absinthe's, with its many recipes and formulations, psychoactive effect; for instance myrsticine, which you mentioned is one proposed alternative) DOES in fact sometimes contain α/β-Thujone and other monoterpenes. In fact there is a high-oil-content strain of S. officinalis called 'Extraka.'
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17518111
    http://pubs.acs.org/doi/abs/10.1021/jf981170m
    This one too, though it's a different Salvia species

Terpenes do play an important role in biosynthesis and as such are present in quite a few plants. Considering garden sage is practically a food safe plant, I figured it would play well as a potential alternative to Artemisia absinthium if it were unavailable.

I admit my lack or research on the part of starch content in fennel and have only learned the process for absinthe in bits and pieces. I will work on the guide and update it soon after some more research and spring break comes and thanks for the info.
    edited February 2011

C/O
    "devout hedonist"

^^this
    Hope C/O helped you out. Good effort on the guide. It was put together very well bro.
  • edited February 2011
    fr0st_Byte wrote: »
    ^^this
    Hope C/O helped you out. Good effort on the guide. It was put together very well bro.

Thanks man. Also, coming Spring Break I'll be working on extracting m3scalin3 citrat3 using this tek and continuing my trich thread.
  • JizzlamJizzlam New Arrival
    edited February 2011

C/O
    "devout hedonist"

The ritual doesn't involve burning anything.
  • jamie madroxjamie madrox Sith Lord
    edited February 2011
    Jizzlam wrote: »

orly?
    edited February 2011
    orly?

So some idiot on youtube is an authority on absinthe? Lighting it on fire came about in the 90's to market cheap, inferior Czech absinthe to tourists. It has nothing to do with quality absinthe.
  • Rumple ForeskinRumple Foreskin Regular
    edited February 2011

this. using sugar was used to help hide the impurities in cheaper absinthe. you dont need that with the quality stuff
  • MasturbatronMasturbatron Regular
    edited February 2011
    Is it really legal in the US now?
    edited February 2011
    Is it really legal in the US now?

Since 2008.
  • edited February 2011
    Since 2008.
    Wikipedia wrote:
    United States

In 2007, the Alcohol and Tobacco Tax and Trade Bureau (TTB) effectively lifted the longstanding absinthe ban, and has since approved many brands for sale in the U.S. market. This was made possible partly through the TTB's clarification of the Food and Drug Administration's (FDA) thujone content regulations, which specify that finished food and beverages that contain Artemisia species must be thujone free.[91] In this context, the TTB considers a product to be thujone-free if the thujone content is less than 10ppm (equal to 10 mg/kg).[92][93] This is verified through the use of Gas Chromatography-Mass Spectrometry.[94]

Technically it's absinthe flavored spirit that is legal in the US as it's secondary components must be below a particular limit as established by the FDA. This is actually the reason why I made this thread as I have tried and own several thujone-free absinthes.

Also, burning of sugar before pouring is a more recent phenomenon and so I've read that "it is looked down upon by absinthe connoisseurs."

EDIT: I just saw your post, Jizzlam. That figures. Thanks for the clarity on the subject.