Trichocereus Brew, Pt. II

edited February 2011 in Man Cave
Seriously, how should I wash these bitches off? Aside from my failure last time, I will be taking tomorrow to brew and consume some stuff. Unfortunately, the dude I bought these cuttings from took them fresh and as a result put rooting hormone (IBA) on them to help them callous.

Comments

• fr0st_Bytefr0st_Byte Sumpin' c00L
    edited February 2011
    This is San Pedro not Peruvian Torch cactus correct? I am unsure myself. :confused::o

I can tell you more what I know about it when I find this out from you.
  • edited February 2011
    fr0st_Byte wrote: »
    This is San Pedro not Peruvian Torch cactus correct? I am unsure myself. :confused::o

I can tell you more what I know about it when I find this out from you.

T. peruvianus is most notable by its spines, which are longer than even T. pachanoi non Backeberg. I'm not good with the specifics, but this what I have is a run of the mill San Pedro, Backeberg clone. I washed them off pretty well, cut the calloused ends off, and am not afraid of a little Indole-3-butyric acid. They've been cut up and tomorrow I'll blend them and start brewing.

T. peruvianus
    peruvianus_cacti_cuttings.jpg

140358d1252117066-my-cacti-growing-graphting-peruvian-torch.jpg

Long spined Pedro (?)
    edited February 2011
    Do you know the age? I know they grow very slow, but has the person thought about letting it grow larger? How long have they had this particular plant? Is the specimen young? Was it acquired online? If it's cool may I ask how much someone paid for it?

Do they have a pic of the cacti we are talking about, I mean a personal pic. You know what I mean...
  • edited February 2011
    Do you know the age? I know they grow very slow, but has the person thought about letting it grow larger? How long have they had this particular plant? Is the specimen young? Was it acquired online? If it's cool may I ask how much someone paid for it?

Do they have a pic of the cacti we are talking about, I mean a personal pic. You know what I mean...

Hell, upon reading the R and S phases for the rooting hormone that seller used I'm tempted to throw it out as its primary route of toxicity is via ingestion. It was acquired via ebay and the potential toxicity of the situation is my primary concern. It's run of the mill San Pedro, short spines and all.

MSDS for IBA

Wiki and R/S phases for IBA
    edited February 2011
    Hell, upon reading the R and S phases for the rooting hormone that seller used I'm tempted to throw it out as its primary route of toxicity is via ingestion. It was acquired via ebay and the potential toxicity of the situation is my primary concern. It's run of the mill San Pedro, short spines and all.

MSDS for IBA

Wiki and R/S phases for IBA

Maybe a few good washes as you previously suggested? May I ask how much was paid for the cacti? I'm really getting out of my comfort zone about possibly making this plant safe for ingestion so get some second hand confirmation on anything I suggest at this point.
  • edited February 2011
    Maybe a few good washes as you previously suggested? May I ask how much was paid for the cacti? I'm really getting out of my comfort zone about possibly making this plant safe for ingestion so get some second hand confirmation on anything I suggest at this point.

$40 total for 5 ft. I'm really angry the dude didn't use sulfur powder or copper powder, which are far less toxic and achieve the same purpose. What is done is done. I've not cooked them yet (but they are diced :() and am saving the rest to plant again this year as my other ones had a hard frost.
    edited February 2011
    my other ones had a hard frost.

Wow that's exactly what this hot brunette said about her other girlfriends Anna and Jennifer I met today.

Okay okay...../jokephail.
  • edited February 2011
    Wow that's exactly what this hot brunette said about her other girlfriends Anna and Jennifer I met today.

Okay okay...../jokephail.

iceman-iceman-tribute-poster-demotivational-poster-1276924225.jpg

Also,
    As for what the cautions are for on the rooting hormone, it's a gastric irritant when swallowed--it is a form of acid, after all. It won't really hurt you, but it'll give you an upset tummy. As with any chemical in powder form, (especially an weak corrosive like IBA) it's irritating to mucous membranes when it comes in contact, thus the caution to not breathe it in and use eye protection. Now,these protections are recommended for someone who is around the stuff every day as a means of minimizing their health risks, and for occasionally rooting a few roses, avoiding getting it on your skin or breathing in the dust should be enough unless you have other health problems like asthma. ANd, the cautions on the MSDS are for someone who is dealing with IBA full strength, wheras Rootone or other similar products are usually 3% IBA and the rest inert products like talc.

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20080410040322AAqDO3S
    edited February 2011

lawl ^^^ Nice.

Since it got absored into the roots it is in the entired plant correct? May not be worth it I guess, since it was only 40 bucks.

Maybe you could explain the problem and sell it to someone at cost that is willing to take the risk?
  • edited February 2011
    lawl ^^^ Nice.

Since it got absorbed into the roots it is in the entired plant correct? May not be worth it I guess, since it was only 40 bucks.

Maybe you could explain the problem and sell it to someone at cost that is willing to take the risk?

I'm already at the point of no return. These cuttings were not rooted, just treated to make them so in time. One and a half I have cut up and the others I will keep to grow as they are rather healthy. I should have contacted him prior to shipping and this problem would have been rectified.

At this point, I am to go to bed so I may get up and decide whether or not to go to school or trip balls.
    edited February 2011
    I'm already at the point of no return. These cuttings were not rooted, just treated to make them so in time. One and a half I have cut up and the others I will keep to grow as they are rather healthy. I should have contacted him prior to shipping and this problem would have been rectified.

At this point, I am to go to bed so I may get up and decide whether or not to go to school or trip balls.

Peace.
  • edited February 2011
    My thread on shroomery never got a response, which kinda sucks. Regardless, after thinking about the amount of IBA that was once on it, the amount would only seem to give me stomach upset at the most. At any concentration it seems primarily an irritant, so a dilution of a dilution would seem accurate. Around 9:30 I'll start gathering materials like my propane.
  • edited February 2011
    According to google and the EPA,
    Summary

Indole-3-butyric acid enhances the growth and development of food crops and ornamentals when applied to soil, cuttings, or leaves. Because it is similar in structure to naturally occurring substances and is used in tiny amounts, this plant growth regulator poses no known risks to humans or the environment.

1. Description of the Active Ingredient

Indole-3-butyric acid is a substance that is closely related in structure and function to a natural growth regulator found in plants. Indole-3-butyric acid is used on many crops and ornamentals to promote growth and development of roots, flowers and fruits, and to increase crop yields. Growers find it more effective and efficient than its natural counterpart because plants cannot break it down as quickly. No harm to humans or the environment is expected to result from use of indole-3-butyric acid.

# Assessing Risks to Human Health

With the exception of certain workers, no harm is expected from use of indole-3-butyric acid. The active ingredient is not toxic to humans or other mammals. Furthermore, indole-3-butyric acid is effective at very low concentrations--often several orders of magnitude below 1%. It is applied at very low rates compared with most other pesticides. In animals, indole-3-butyric acid is rapidly broken down to a closely related, harmless chemical that occurs naturally in living organisms.

Eye irritation to certain workers is EPA' s only health concern for products containing indole-3-butyric acid. For products that may cause eye irritation, workers (such as mixers and applicators) are required to use protective eyewear, such as goggles, face shield, or safety glasses.
  • edited February 2011
    At this point I have washed the pieces off three or four more times in cold water, blended them, and put them in a pot on boil now. Looks like this

brew.jpg

EDIT: Oh yeh, I also coulnd't find lemon juice, so I used vinegar, LOL
    edited February 2011
    At this point I have washed the pieces off three or four more times in cold water, blended them, and put them in a pot on boil now. Looks like this

brew.jpg

EDIT: Oh yeh, I also coulnd't find lemon juice, so I used vinegar, LOL

Mmmm tasty, lol. I bet that shit is nasty as fuck. Thought about adding a shitload of sugar to it?

What you said about a small stomach ache is what I was thinking last night. It may be worth the discomfort. I've heard mescaline gives you a stomach ache anyway, either that or very bad nausea. I can't remember which one.

Hey when you ingest them, can we talk on AIM? If you stay online for a little while that is.
  • edited February 2011
    Mmmm tasty, lol. I bet that shit is nasty as fuck. Thought about adding a shitload of sugar to it?

What you said about a small stomach ache is what I was thinking last night. It may be worth the discomfort. I've heard mescaline gives you a stomach ache anyway, either that or very bad nausea. I can't remember which one.

Hey when you ingest them, can we talk on AIM? If you stay online for a little while that is.

At this point, I have cooked it 130 min. total. It has a slightly golden-amber tinge and has lowered water volume.

Also, I plan on doing it Wed. or Thurs. afternoon as my uni doesn't have school on Friday, but it does this Saturday due to the number of days out from snow. And sure, when I drink it I'll get on AIM. I don't have an AIM account right now, but I'll PM you my email addresses.
    edited February 2011
    At this point, I have cooked it 130 min. total. It has a slightly golden-amber tinge and has lowered water volume.

Also, I plan on doing it Wed. or Thurs. afternoon as my uni doesn't have school on Friday, but it does this Saturday due to the number of days out from snow. And sure, when I drink it I'll get on AIM. I don't have an AIM account right now, but I'll PM you my email addresses.

Great. I'd love to get a step by step account of coming up on mesc.

Even though I know it's going to take a while.
  • edited February 2011
    Great. I'd love to get a step by step account of coming up on mesc.

Even though I know it's going to take a while.

I'm roughly 14 minutes away from three hours into cooking.
    edited February 2011
    I'm roughly 14 minutes away from three hours into cooking.

Lets see another pic.
  • edited February 2011
    Lets see another pic.

That first pic is a pic from a tek which looked like my smoothie. I don't have access to a worthy camera right now and can't until tomorrow. But I'll pic the final product before I consume it.
  • edited February 2011
    I am finally done,end to end. I yielded roughly 750mL of dark green liquid which I will boil down on the day of consumption. For now, it goes in the fridge.
  • edited February 2011
    Lets see another pic.
    100_2841.jpg?t=1298089408
    100_2844.jpg?t=1298089824

Unfortunately, not all of it was collected as some of it was spilled when transferring it from a large boiling pot to a smaller one.

SWIM is thinking about some MEK wash as per a tek s/he read.