ITT: We reminisce about Meta.

Totse BotTotse Bot Banned
edited July 2010 in Spurious Generalities
Remember when Totse was closing? The final hours? Meta was still locking and moving threads. XD Remember how slow Totse was? I can just imagine someone clicking on a thread, waiting 15 minutes, and then finding the message, "this thread can not be found" because Meta moved it.

Comments

• DfgDfg Admin
    edited July 2010
    Loyal to the very end.

*sniff sniff*
  • edited July 2010
    I still can't understand why it is that we have to use Totse.info, and why Jeff won't just let someone else run the original site. Unless I'm gravely mistaken, it's possible to transfer ownership of a website from one person to another (In such a way that the website won't have to die just because some motherfucker decided he was "burnt out"), is it not?

Anyway, yeah, I remember the last few hours and Meta still modding. Did the mods know that the TTFN was coming, or were they as surprised as we were?
  • Panic!Panic! Regular
    edited July 2010
    I definitely remember how slow the site was, but I still tried to view all the threads anyways
  • MantikoreMantikore Regular
    edited July 2010
    His finger was like Midas' except every thread he touched turned to :)poop:)
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited July 2010
    I actually did see Totse last day. I lost Internet connection on Jan 15 2009 and when I came back on 30th Jan 2009. Totse was gone :(.

I was depressed for a fucking week. And then I joined Zoklet and decided to contribute just to show how much I respected/loved Totse. Although I wished I knew what coming but still I have no regrets.

Again, couldn't say Good Bye on Totse, couldn't say good bye on Zoklet. FML

If I ever make a good bye thread on any site. That would be the sign that it's over. [at least for me]
  • skyclaw441skyclaw441 Regular
    edited July 2010
    Oh how I miss his brown finger and broken neck. He was not a good mod, but he was a real chill guy to talk to. I talked to him a bit over IRC back in the day, he was cool. But when he was moderating... oh he could be a dick.
  • LSA KingLSA King Regular
    edited July 2010
    I still can't understand why it is that we have to use Totse.info, and why Jeff won't just let someone else run the original site. Unless I'm gravely mistaken, it's possible to transfer ownership of a website from one person to another (In such a way that the website won't have to die just because some motherfucker decided he was "burnt out"), is it not?

Anyway, yeah, I remember the last few hours and Meta still modding. Did the mods know that the TTFN was coming, or were they as surprised as we were?

I'm pretty sure the Admins and Super mods knew. It would seem highly inappropriate for them not to do and be a dick move by Jeff. Jeff DID offer the server (not sure about domain) to Zok. There was an entire thread where Zok posted emails back and forth between the two, or maybe it was Deus. It got removed though for some strange reason a few days after it was posted.

Jeff basically explained how the server was so old, ass backwards and integrated with the website that the hassle to try and run it in its current state would be hellacious for anyone to take over. He recommended starting over just because Totse was built on an old platform by hand that made it hard to modernize. It was something like that. I also thing Jeff held onto the Domain for legal reasons because of all the legal issues he was facing all the time. Basically he recommended to cut ties with the old "Totse" and start something new to avoid having to pick up all the legal trouble he was in and had to deal with.

Poor guy, he really did kind of get fucked there lol.
  • edited July 2010
    LSA King wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure the Admins and Super mods knew. It would seem highly inappropriate for them not to do and be a dick move by Jeff. Jeff DID offer the server (not sure about domain) to Zok. There was an entire thread where Zok posted emails back and forth between the two, or maybe it was Deus. It got removed though for some strange reason a few days after it was posted.

Jeff basically explained how the server was so old, ass backwards and integrated with the website that the hassle to try and run it in its current state would be hellacious for anyone to take over. He recommended starting over just because Totse was built on an old platform by hand that made it hard to modernize. It was something like that. I also thing Jeff held onto the Domain for legal reasons because of all the legal issues he was facing all the time. Basically he recommended to cut ties with the old "Totse" and start something new to avoid having to pick up all the legal trouble he was in and had to deal with.

Poor guy, he really did kind of get fucked there lol.

I see.

But what's this about legal troubles?
  • AnonymousAnonymous Regular
    edited July 2010
    Remember the neckbrace parties?
  • metameta Regular
    edited July 2010
    Ah.... Classic times, he made me lol more than anything else on the original totse and thus I honor him through my avatar and user name.
  • edited July 2010
    Ah good times. When he would infract or ban someone for posting his picture all shopped up.
  • GrenGren Acolyte
    edited July 2010
    A slow day for totse on a 56k connection was always a good way to kill time.
  • EchidnaEchidna Regular
    edited July 2010
    knock knock

whos there

meta's doctor, he's here to tighten the screws on his neckbrace
  • RemadERemadE Global Moderator
    edited July 2010
    'sup guise?

metafingur.jpg
  • grayboygrayboy Acolyte
    edited July 2010
    He dro[[ed so much acid its unbelievable :)
  • edited July 2010
    RemadE wrote: »
    'sup guise?

metafingur.jpg

Wasn't there a time were we could get banned for that picture?
  • skyclaw441skyclaw441 Regular
    edited July 2010
    Someone WAS banhammered for this...

450px-Metaphysicist.jpg
  • edited July 2010
    "I fucked Meta's daughter with a _____"
    edited July 2010
    I miss the way he would completely fuck with you as if he had a grudge, but one you'd never see him admit or openly show. I got into an e-fight with him one time and busted his balls, and ever since he'd always edit every post/thread, lock, move, delete that I made. He always manage to find ONE reason to do it that looked legitimate, but inside I knew it was had to be for pissing him off. But you never fucking knew, that was what drove me apeshit for the last 2 years, so I stopped posting in BLTC. Then he became a Super Mod and was EVERYWHERE. God that man made "fun" sometimes a living hell on Totse.

But the hate was so common that it always raised my spirits when I'd see a "Goddamn Meta you fucking asshole!" thread to ease my rage.
  • VizierVizier Regular
    edited July 2010
    Ah good times. When he would infract or ban someone for posting his picture all shopped up.

In the first days of Zoklet I still got banned for posting that Meta pic. By Meta himself, of course. Then he got demodded with the whole Kinkou Zok Meta dramafest.
  • RemadERemadE Global Moderator
    edited July 2010
  • VizierVizier Regular
    edited July 2010
    We should create a 2010 set of Totse battlecards :D
    edited July 2010
    I see.

But what's this about legal troubles?

Jeff basically explained in the long lost email that I can't find on Zoklet anymore, about how he was always facing constant threats from lawyers and organizations for the behavior of its members. There was more to it that I can't remember, but he basically said it wasn't worth the trouble to manage the horrible thing he called a server and anything related to Totse because of all he had to face during the years.

I give it to Jeff though, he NEVER caved once under all that pressure and I remember reading it how bad I felt for Jeff and it at least gave me understanding as to why he called it quits. I fucking wish I took a screenshot. I figured that thread would be around forever and it somehow got lost/deleted.
  • grayboygrayboy Acolyte
    edited July 2010
    Remember when someone ould post about LSD and everyone would be like" cant wait fopr Meta to post!!!!!!!"
  • Totse BotTotse Bot Banned
    edited July 2010
    LSA King wrote: »
    Jeff basically explained in the long lost email that I can't find on Zoklet anymore, about how he was always facing constant threats from lawyers and organizations for the behavior of its members. There was more to it that I can't remember, but he basically said it wasn't worth the trouble to manage the horrible thing he called a server and anything related to Totse because of all he had to face during the years.

I give it to Jeff though, he NEVER caved once under all that pressure and I remember reading it how bad I felt for Jeff and it at least gave me understanding as to why he called it quits. I fucking wish I took a screenshot. I figured that thread would be around forever and it somehow got lost/deleted.

I remember that e-mail. He also said he didn't think it was worth it if everyone was going to make fun of him all the time. I can see where he's coming from, I guess, but he didn't read all the threads praising him. :(
    edited July 2010
    Blunderful wrote: »
    I remember that e-mail. He also said he didn't think it was worth it if everyone was going to make fun of him all the time. I can see where he's coming from, I guess, but he didn't read all the threads praising him. :(

Yes, I found the thread and I forgot it was in GS not the news forum lol. Took me an hour of looking back to find the thread.

http://www.zoklet.net/bbs/showthread.php?t=1488

Zok edited the post with the email screenshot attached, and nobody saved it as you can see on the time stamps.