How-to: Fix a Stripped Screw Hole with Toothpicks

bornkillerbornkiller AdministratorIn your girlfriends snatch
edited July 2011 in Life
Thought this might be a useful guide for someone out there.
Source
medium_020411toothpicks01_rect540.jpgStripped screws can be one of the most frustrating kinks in a home improvement project, even after you get it out. If you want to use that hole again, you can make sure your screw stays put with a few toothpicks.We've shown you how to remove a stripped screw with a rubber band, but once you get it out, that hole may not be suitable for another screw, since it'll be too loose. A golf tee will help you get a new screw in, but that doesn't give you a lot of versatility when it comes to the size of the hole. A better method, weblog Apartment Therapy notes, is to just use a few toothpicks:
Taking my father's advice, I unscrewed the hinge and placed a few pieces of toothpick in the screw hole. As I reinstalled the screw, I could feel that the toothpick pieces were doing their job. Basically the screw is able to grip onto the soft wood of the toothpick pieces, which creates a tight fit that couldn't be achieved in the stretched and stripped hole.
Because toothpicks are fairly small, they can help fix holes of any size—you just need to make sure you have enough toothpicks if it's a bigger hole.

Comments

• edited February 2011
    Now that's interesting. Why couldn't I read this when I actually needed to fix a stripped screw hole :facepalm: I ended up filling in the hole and screwing about 30cm to the left of the original place :D
  • RemadERemadE Global Moderator
    edited February 2011
    I remember my Grandfather telling me something as a kid when I helped him do some woodwork (he was a Carpenter). Great tip, actually :thumbsup:
  • JestAJestA Regular
    edited February 2011
    I sometimes use woodglue and wood shavings. but toothpics work to.
  • dr rockerdr rocker Regular
    edited February 2011
    I prefer to use wood filler and let it go off - longer lasting solution, however, I have been known to use a bit of dowel like a rawl plug in wood - as long as you screw into it and it expands, jobs a good un.

Toothpicks to have their uses however - if you have had wood worm treated, you will be left with worm holes in the timber - left as they are, they can cause problems on future surveys for selling your house or insurance. Ram a toothpick into each hole, take it down with a chisel and sand it to blend with the original timber - careful on the sanding tho, a lot of structuract timbers are quite rough rather than PAR / PSE.
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited February 2011
    Damn, cheap and simple. And thanks for the other comments :D.
  • RogueEagle91RogueEagle91 Regular
    edited February 2011
    Really useful. I have scrap 2x4 that i use for the same thing. I take pieces off with pliers, fill the hole with wood glue, and stick the wood in. Wire cutters work great for the excess, provided it's under 1/4" thick or so.
  • bornkillerbornkiller Administrator In your girlfriends snatch
    edited February 2011
    Thanks for all the tips, y'all. :thumbsup:
  • JHGJHG Acolyte
    edited March 2011
    add a little glue with the toothpicks
  • tomtom New Arrival
    edited July 2011
    trying this one right away. Thanks
  • AngryGimpAngryGimp Semo-Regulars
    edited July 2011
    Great tip, could have used it several times in the past.