Uni torrenting issues

RemadERemadE Global Moderator
edited March 2011 in Tech & Games
Right, so I am on a University network and have been torrenting for no problem since September. Today, however, they were fucking my internet around, cut me off and have closed almost every port (except 25, 53 and 125) so I can no longer Torrent effectively. I only get ebooks and course-related material so I am pretty fucked off seeing as it's saved me over £500 on books EASILY within the past few months.
Any ideas on how to get around this? I may have to go to the pub again and use their wifi :(

Comments

• MayberryMayberry Regular
    edited March 2011
    If you access the internet using your student login, you're pretty much fucked. That's why everybody goes to Starbucks to do their torrenting :o
  • RemadERemadE Global Moderator
    edited March 2011
    Mayberry wrote: »
    If you access the internet using your student login, you're pretty much fucked. That's why everybody goes to Starbucks to do their torrenting :o

I do and I don't. I can change my MAC address, IP address and student login (not going to elaborate) but meh. Bit shit. May have to use Starbucks or the pub then. I can still download but uTorrent has the little red icon.

Also I'd love to use the starbucks internet, but even using Backtrack on this machine has issues because of the IP conflict :mad::mad::mad:
  • busxbusx Acolyte
    edited March 2011
    Uni's tend to be strict on that shit because they are liable if shit happens and people on their network are caught downloading copyright content for free. It's completely unlikely, but they have to cover their own ass. They're all about making money, not losing it to legal fees and lawsuits.
  • edited March 2011
    Have you tried changing the port which Utorrent uses? It's the only thing I can actually think of.
  • RemadERemadE Global Moderator
    edited March 2011
    trx100 wrote: »
    Have you tried changing the port which Utorrent uses? It's the only thing I can actually think of.

Yeah. Works now but much slower. Calling an end to it after this file is done. To be fair I think the fact they are stopping me from Torrenting as opposed to raping me with fines is preferrable.