CPU cooler problem

SpookSpook Regular
edited March 2011 in Tech & Games
Sup totse

After purchasing a completley new rig, a friend of mine has sold me his spare Coolermaster Hyper212 heatsink for next to nothing. The problem is that I seem to have misplaced (read, gone forever) one of the four nuts that secure the heatsink to the backplate on the motherboard. Now, there doesn't really seem to be anything all that special about the nuts that came with it, so would I be good to just go and pick up some standard one from a hardware store or would this most certainly fuck my shit up ?

Comments

• buddhabuddha Regular
    edited March 2011
    Spook wrote: »
    Sup totse

After purchasing a completley new rig, a friend of mine has sold me his spare Coolermaster Hyper212 heatsink for next to nothing. The problem is that I seem to have misplaced (read, gone forever) one of the four nuts that secure the heatsink to the backplate on the motherboard. Now, there doesn't really seem to be anything all that special about the nuts that came with it, so would I be good to just go and pick up some standard one from a hardware store or would this most certainly fuck my shit up ?

super_glue.jpg

Really though I don't see a problem with just buying a new one. As long as it's the same as the old one.
  • SpookSpook Regular
    edited March 2011
    buddha wrote: »
    Really though I don't see a problem with just buying a new one. As long as it's the same as the old one.

You sure ? I've been told the same thing by most of the people with technical knowledge that I've asked so far, but I just want that extra assurance.

I don't exactly want it shorting anything out in there. Lol, I'm probably just being paranoid, but yeah, it's all new and I can't afford to replace anything.
  • edited March 2011
    Make sure the nuts are the correct size for the hole which you are fitting them to and you won't have a problem at all. Also make sure that the heatsink is securely fitted to the mobo and is not loose at all - any looseness and the heat won't be transferred properly, and you might risk damaging something.

Also make sure you've got some thermal paste for the CPU, just in case you haven't already got that handy :D
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited March 2011
    No need for me to add anything new. Oh, don't forget the themal paste.