Potential for upgrading a cpu in a laptop.

edited March 2011 in Tech & Games
My girlfriend is awesome, when I got out of the hospital and was told I would not be able to work for a couple of months she let me put a new laptop on her credit card, is that sweet or what? Being a decent dude I chose the cheapest one I could find that looked okay, an Acer, and it is better by far than the tiny netbook I had before. It is a pretty low end unit, and I know I can upgrade the Ram up to 6gigs, but the processor?, oh my god the cpu is such a lemon. It rates 2.8 on the Windows7 test, everything else including the video card rates 6+. The cpu is an amd c-50 twin core 1ghz.

I have researched a bit and am pretty sure an upgrade is possible, the Acer models described were slightly different, but I am hoping the line was built around the same mobo and I can upgrade to one of the processors used in the higher end models.

Questions; All I really want is a minor upgrade to a twin core 1.4 ghz processor, will the mobo be able to handle the heat?

That said, how far could I push it before I have issues?

Where the hell do I order a new CPU from?, and does anyone have any tips or warnings about getting one on the cheap? IE; could I ask around a few computer shops till I found someone who recycles trashed laptops? Does anyone have a price range so I don't get burned?

I intend to find a CPU that is used in the same series of laptops, just a couple of steps up the line.

C/O
"trying to set up port forwarding has helped me get in touch with the nerd I was so long ago, might as well run with it."

Comments