Warcraft 3

MasturbatronMasturbatron Regular
edited July 2010 in Spurious Generalities
I just started playing this game after hearing so much about it. God damn it is so fun. I love the whole strategy factor of it, and setting up your little town with it's defenses and basically making your own small army. Plus, me being a pretty avid WoW player it's nice getting to know the lore through WC3 and playing through the game, going to some area I know from WoW and being like "WOOOOOOOAAAAAAAAH" it's all pretty fuckin' sweet.

Comments

• LethargicaLethargica Regular
    edited July 2010
    Yeah wc3 is pretty dope. Doesn't require you to do much APM like starcraft, slow paced, micromanageable units.

Humans are my favorite. They are so versatile-they got anti air, anti magic, strong tank units, and the heroes are extremely versatile that give armor, summon creatures(very good early game) or do massive aoe damage. Everything that can be countered can be answered by humans.
  • Professor ElmProfessor Elm Regular
    edited July 2010
    Yeah man! WC3 is a great game. I too play WoW and it helps to understand the Lore after playing the Warcraft series, making it an overall better experience.
  • MasturbatronMasturbatron Regular
    edited July 2010
    Yeah man! WC3 is a great game. I too play WoW and it helps to understand the Lore after playing the Warcraft series, making it an overall better experience.

What the fuck is this shit?
  • BaconPieBaconPie Regular
    edited July 2010
    STARCRAFT :mad:
    edited July 2010
    BaconPie wrote: »
    STARCRAFT :mad:

I've always wondered about SC, I think I'll try picking up the 2nd one when it comes out.
  • LethargicaLethargica Regular
    edited July 2010
    Starcraft is basically like rock paper scissors; it's all about finding out what unit beats another unit, given you have an enemy base. You want to scout early so you can make smart technology upgrades and unit choices. The variable in this game(in high levels of play) is who can do more APM(actions per minute).

Imo, I'd stick with warcraft -_- starcraft takes too much from you.
  • Icee WeinerIcee Weiner Regular
    edited July 2010
    Meh, I always liked Warcraft II better

Zug Zug
  • edited July 2010
    yeah I been playing WC3 since the beta, pretty epic game and proubably the most memorable game series from my childhood. I use to be pretty good at latter, but I mostly just play DOTA these days.

Also I had that same experience except the other way around. When I went to an area from WoW that was in WC3 I'm all 'lol, this is where that thing happened'
    edited July 2010
    Lethargica wrote: »
    Starcraft is basically like rock paper scissors; it's all about finding out what unit beats another unit, given you have an enemy base. You want to scout early so you can make smart technology upgrades and unit choices. The variable in this game(in high levels of play) is who can do more APM(actions per minute).

Imo, I'd stick with warcraft -_- starcraft takes too much from you.

Real men play StarCraft! :mad:

It's very demanding and although you are right about scouting early to get the right mix up, it's also about adapting your builds when the battle changes and build orders that get you maximum efficiency.

Plus you can micro (control units individually, rather than just sending a big block in) in really creative ways. I've been in the beta for 2 and I'm addicted; it's such a fast paced mentally stimulating game (think speed chess or khet on steds).

Also, the new matchmaking system is really good, different leagues for different levels of play so when you are just starting you don't get totally dicked on. Also, if you're on a win streak you'll be put against higher league players to put you back in your place. On top of that it gives you something to aim for, its not just random head shots in call of duty, its mad competitiveness to climb the ranks.

Gah, I play too much of this game... :facepalm:

Never tried WarCraft, maybe I should give it a go? What's it like?
    edited July 2010

It's very demanding and although you are right about scouting early to get the right mix up, it's also about adapting your builds when the battle changes and build orders that get you maximum efficiency.

Plus you can micro (control units individually, rather than just sending a big block in) in really creative ways. I've been in the beta for 2 and I'm addicted; it's such a fast paced mentally stimulating game (think speed chess or khet on steds).

Also, the new matchmaking system is really good, different leagues for different levels of play so when you are just starting you don't get totally dicked on. Also, if you're on a win streak you'll be put against higher league players to put you back in your place. On top of that it gives you something to aim for, its not just random head shots in call of duty, its mad competitiveness to climb the ranks.

Gah, I play too much of this game... :facepalm:

Never tried WarCraft, maybe I should give it a go? What's it like?
    Basically you build your little town with it's fortifications and a small army, then take your small army and go fuck shit up. It's quite fun.
  • VizierVizier Regular
    edited July 2010
    The only reason I have WC3 is for DOTA, although I haven't played that in quite a while.
  • BigBroBigBro Regular
    edited July 2010
    Red Alert 2 ftw.
    That is all.

Oshit, this is turning into an RTS discussion thread. Oh well.
    edited July 2010
    My pirated WC3 just shit on me. I tried installing the Frozen Throne expansion that came with the download, and once I installed it, every time I try to open it I get a prompt asking to insert the disk..so I tried running the .dmg file while attempting to open the game client..to no avail. Really sucks, I would re-install the whole thing but I got pretty far and don't feel like doing it over again. Oh well :(
  • MantikoreMantikore Regular
    edited July 2010
    i think WC3 is the most well-made RTS out there in terms of technical and balancing aspects. Great game. I dont care for dota much, but just regular melee is great.

my favorite to play is still RA2 though
    edited July 2010
    Mantikore wrote: »
    i think WC3 is the most well-made RTS out there in terms of technical and balancing aspects. Great game. I dont care for dota much, but just regular melee is great.

my favorite to play is still RA2 though

For the small period that I got to play it before it shit on me, I found it extremely enjoyable. I can't see myself enjoying Dota too much though, I just don't think WC3 would be much fun online. I'm now playing Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots on PS3. Fuck it's intense.

This is now a MGS4 thread. :mad:
  • GreenbullGreenbull Regular
    edited July 2010
    My pirated WC3 just shit on me. I tried installing the Frozen Throne expansion that came with the download, and once I installed it, every time I try to open it I get a prompt asking to insert the disk..so I tried running the .dmg file while attempting to open the game client..to no avail. Really sucks, I would re-install the whole thing but I got pretty far and don't feel like doing it over again. Oh well :(

Have you though of taking the save data out?
    edited July 2010
    MGS4

Where are you up to?
    edited July 2010
    Where are you up to?

I'm still in the middle east. I'm at the part where I'm trying to get to Liquids camp. The bad ass robot monster things and the crazy bitch with tentacles just fucked shit up in a cinematic.
    edited July 2010
    I'm still in the middle east. I'm at the part where I'm trying to get to Liquids camp. The bad ass robot monster things and the crazy bitch with tentacles just fucked shit up in a cinematic.

Have you played the first three? If so, you're in for a treat.

It's just after the 1 hour 45 min cutscene...
  • ashenbloodashenblood Acolyte
    edited July 2010
    DOTA is real fun, you should try it out. It's got a song named after it lol ;)
  • DysgraphiaDysgraphia Locked
    edited July 2010

Real men play FPSs' not some girly RTS punk trash :mad::mad:
    edited July 2010
    Have you played the first three? If so, you're in for a treat.

It's just after the 1 hour 45 min cutscene...

I have not. This will be my first MG game.
    edited July 2010
    I have not. This will be my first MG game.

STOP! NOW! Play the first one. Remember how many years ago it was.

Read up on 2 and 3.

Then resume 4.
    Dysgraphia wrote: »
    Real men play FPSs' not some girly RTS punk trash :mad::mad:

lol FPS is for suckas, its all the same shit now. MW2 was the final straw for me.
    edited July 2010
    STOP! NOW! Play the first one. Remember how many years ago it was.

Read up on 2 and 3.

Then resume 4.

lol FPS is for suckas, its all the same shit now. MW2 was the final straw for me.

I dun want to :( I'm too hardcore into the 4th one now. I can't stop.
    edited July 2010
    The cinimatics in that are rediculous. It doesn't really matter what order you play but make sure you pick up Sons of Liberty and Snake Eater sometime. They're worth the play, even if they're a small step back in time.
    edited July 2010
    I just finished Act 2. The cinematic at the end of it was fucking insane. Raiden is like wtf bad ass holy shit. And Naomi has her chest way too exposed all the fucking time and it makes me horny :mad: if she doesn't show her tits in this game (because we all know she totally wants to) I'm going to be very disappointed.
    edited July 2010
    edited July 2010
    I just finished Act 2. The cinematic at the end of it was fucking insane. Raiden is like wtf bad ass holy shit. And Naomi has her chest way too exposed all the fucking time and it makes me horny :mad: if she doesn't show her tits in this game (because we all know she totally wants to) I'm going to be very disappointed.

WTF! Dude, if you think that was good then you're heading for head explode moment. But its not as good if you haven't played the first game. :(

You only need to play the first 10mins to 'get' it. It isn't a plot thing.
    edited July 2010
    Greenbull wrote: »
    Wait till the end. You are in for a treat :o
    God damn, 90 minutes? Whatever. I bet it's totally necessary and worth it.
    WTF! Dude, if you think that was good then you're heading for head explode moment. But its not as good if you haven't played the first game. :(

You only need to play the first 10mins to 'get' it. It isn't a plot thing.

Well I could always download it on the ps3...but man I don't want to. If I tried to play MGS1 after playing 4, I would probably get really bored with it really fast. I'm the kind of gamer...that..if I play something new gen, I absolutely do NOT want to play it's old gen children. Like..when Pokemon Leaf Green came out, I was in the process of playing the original Yellow version, then I got Leaf Green, and never touched Yellow again.
  • VermicideVermicide Regular
    edited July 2010
    I'm the kind of gamer...that..if I play something new gen, I absolutely do NOT want to play it's old gen children

Yeah I'm with you on this. It's different if you played it back when it came out but not going back to it now.
  • Issue313Issue313 Acolyte
    edited July 2010
    Lethargica wrote: »
    Humans are my favorite. They are so versatile-they got anti air, anti magic, strong tank units, and the heroes are extremely versatile that give armor, summon creatures(very good early game) or do massive aoe damage. Everything that can be countered can be answered by humans.

Nightelves for me. You can't beat a raiding party of Huntresses for speed. They can take out pretty much anything if intelligently managed, and the buildings being mobile adds a great depth to gameplay ie. gold mine depleted? Get up and walk over to a new one.
  • MantikoreMantikore Regular
    edited July 2010
    ^^ undead for me. there seems to be a unit for everything, and i like the protoss style of building construction.
    edited July 2010
    I would probably get really bored with it really fast.

MGS does not age. Seriously, the first one is one of 'those' games. It is timeless! :mad: