Is it secure when google chrome stores my passwords and shit?

abusernameabusername Regular
edited July 2010 in Tech & Games
I mean when like I log into something, say my gmail account and it offers to save my password and login. I've never done so because I thought it must be insecure.

Is this so? If I store my login and shit on chrome and stay logged in on totse and such, is that insecure? If someone hacks me can they steal my shit? How easy is it for someone to get this information if chrome saves it?

Also while I'm here to save me making another thread, if it's unsafe, is there some sort of program I can use to automatically to store my details and put my details there so I just have to click log-in on my websites?

Annnd is it dangerous to stay logged into sites? I always leave my gmail logged in 24/7. That bad?

Thanks

Comments

• grayboygrayboy Acolyte
    edited July 2010
    How many people use your computer?
  • edited July 2010
    Personally, I have my browser set up to never remember anything. This includes passwords, cookies, clears the cache when you exit, etc etc.

I'm not sure how Chrome actually stores the information. If it's encrypted then it might be safe, if its stored somewhere in plain text then its not. I really have no idea though.
  • 1357913579 Death Cog Machine
    edited July 2010
    I'm the only one who uses my computer, and I have dialup, so I'm not worried about getting anything.

Though, you might want to know that a good friend of mine had a program on his flashdrive that would autorun when plugged in, and would automatically steal every password "Remembered" by FireFox (One of many things it did).
  • SlartibartfastSlartibartfast Global Moderator -__-
    edited July 2010
    It's something web browser makers consider.
    Everything is crackable. you have to ask yourself, is the convenience worth the risk?

For me it is, nothing i do/have is really worth a crackers time.

There is probably a greater risk that someone will break into a server and steal the passwords.

It happened on the totse.com, right?
  • edited July 2010
    It's something web browser makers consider.
    Everything is crackable. you have to ask yourself, is the convenience worth the risk?

For me it is, nothing i do/have is really worth a crackers time.

There is probably a greater risk that someone will break into a server and steal the passwords.

It happened on the totse.com, right?

Just make sure you use a different password for your accounts on websites, and this is countered as well.

I don't think that the convenience is worth my risk though, I keep everything clean and as secure as I can.
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited July 2010
    It's secure as long as no one uses your computer physically.
  • VickyVicky Regular
    edited July 2010
    Been having a lot of problems with Google Chrome at work recently, I don't use it personally but collegues managed to fill their computers with viruses with it, it was nearly surprising how bad their computers were and they hadn't even been trying to download anything like what usually happens. Don't trust Google Chrome at all, it's in need of a new patch.
  • abusernameabusername Regular
    edited July 2010
    Vicky wrote: »
    Been having a lot of problems with Google Chrome at work recently, I don't use it personally but collegues managed to fill their computers with viruses with it, it was nearly surprising how bad their computers were and they hadn't even been trying to download anything like what usually happens. Don't trust Google Chrome at all, it's in need of a new patch.

I see. I will use Opera 10.6 then.
  • v0xv0x Regular
    edited July 2010
    It is not secure. None of those "remember password" systems are secure. Do not use them. There have been many passwords stolen from people who think they are secure. I lulzed at them.