Instruments Instruments Instruments!

SpookSpook Regular
edited July 2010 in Spurious Generalities
Hello and welcome back former totse.com members, this appears to be the first post in the ..and rock and roll forum, so what better way to get shit started than with a good old fashioned "What instrument do you play/want to learn" etc. thread.

Myself, I have been playing the guitar for about 7 years, and DJing for 2. I've got a mexican made Fender Stratocaster which I've had for a few years. It's alright, but it needs a locking nut and better pickups for sure. I'd buy those things if I wasn't saving up for ridiculously expensive turntables. In the meantime, for DJ-ing, I get by with my APC40 and my laptop. Not too bad, but takes ages to map properly in Traktor. Oh, I also make some chiptunes in milkytracker.

Anyway, it's great to be back. Hopefully totse returns to its former glory. :cool:

Comments

• JackJack Regular
    edited July 2010
    I play a 5-string (low) bass. I want a fretless. And I want my electronic organ synthesizer back. :(
  • BodilYFluidSBodilYFluidS Regular
    edited July 2010
    i'm the hype man. i get shit hyped.
  • SophiaSandboxSophiaSandbox Regular
    edited July 2010
    I've played:
    Coronet, French Horn, Alto Sax, Trumpet

I can probably still play:
    Trumpet

I'm learning:
    Guitar
    :] I can play ONE song...ode to joy...XD
  • jamie madroxjamie madrox Sith Lord
    edited July 2010
    I used to play the tuba.
  • NightsideNightside Regular
    edited July 2010
    I play guitar, piano and drums

I want to get a bass, and maybe a violin one day.

I'm no super expert at any, but I can do advanced stuff on all of them. Though I feel too spread out-- but it means i can make my own band.

Nonetheless i hope one day to be a master at the guitar and do blinding arpeggios. Until then, I cant :(
  • mr.bluntmr.blunt Regular
    edited July 2010
    I play piano, sax (alto mostly), and guitar.

In order of competence. I'd like to actually learn guitar, I can only play a few songs.
  • TheGreenDoctorTheGreenDoctor Regular
    edited July 2010
    I can sort of play the guitar. I have a Peavey Predator Plus Green with mother of pearl pickgard; I've been playing for 8 years, but I haven't progressed since my 2nd year. I guess I just wasn't meant to play guitar :(:( The 7 hour practice sessions back when I was 14 - 18 just didn't do their job :( People leave the room when I pick up a guitar :mad:
  • TLVTLV Regular
    edited July 2010
    Drums. Lots of them.
  • MarijuanasaurusMarijuanasaurus Regular
    edited July 2010
    Ive played clarinet, tenor and bari sax, trumpet, tuba, bassoon, piano, guitar, and bass guitar over the course of my grade school years.

Nowadays I mostly play bass, because thats what I enjoy playing the most.
  • Icee WeinerIcee Weiner Regular
    edited July 2010
    I've been playing guitar for going on five years now. I play an old Epiphone Les Paul custom. I heard it was actually played on stage by Bonnie Raitt, but can't confirm if it's true or not.
  • GrenGren Acolyte
    edited July 2010
    I've been playing guitar for 6 years now. I've become a bit of a Jackson nut and currently own a dinky and a fusion, but I have my eyes out for a singlecut, maybe an old Ibby LP?

I've dabbled with drums but that shit get way complicated yo.
  • mashlehashmashlehash Regular
    edited July 2010
    I play guitar.
  • FrYFrY Regular
    edited July 2010
    My Bass. Sounds oh so good
    DeanSledgehammerAsh4StringBassGuitar.jpg

My banjo, you dont see or hear to many of these, sounds great.
    sunbmeteor1.jpg
  • JackJack Regular
    edited July 2010
    Oh, you've got beauties there :)
  • GrenGren Acolyte
    edited July 2010
    Jack wrote: »
    Oh, you've got beauties there :)

Agreed that bass looks gorgeous. What is it?
  • Big baby jesusBig baby jesus Regular
    edited July 2010
    I can play the guitar and sing adeptly, and I'm intuitive with most instruments I pick up. Recently I started playing the piano where I can find one and already wrote a riff despite having no experience, I think I'm gonna focus on trying to learn some theory and go back to it.
  • SpookSpook Regular
    edited July 2010
    Gren wrote: »
    I've been playing guitar for 6 years now. I've become a bit of a Jackson nut and currently own a dinky and a fusion, but I have my eyes out for a singlecut, maybe an old Ibby LP?

I've dabbled with drums but that shit get way complicated yo.

Jacksons are badass indeed. I've got some shitty pre-dinky MIJ jackson with a rip-off floyd rose. Shame turntables cost a fucking fortune.

Drums is all about the riddim.
  • woodwood Regular
    edited July 2010
    Another bass player, mostly fretless these days though I do have a couple 5'ers.
  • SpookSpook Regular
    edited July 2010
    wood wrote: »
    Another bass player, mostly fretless these days though I do have a couple 5'ers.

Fretless bass is phat.

What kind of amp do you have ?
  • SpookSpook Regular
    edited July 2010
    I've played:
    Coronet, French Horn, Alto Sax, Trumpet

I can probably still play:
    Trumpet

I'm learning:
    Guitar
    :] I can play ONE song...ode to joy...XD

A good way to learn guitar is to teach yourself. Sit down and play along with some tunes for a few hours each day. After a few months, chances are you'll be pretty good. You just gotta know how the guitar works is all.

I used to play Alto Sax too :D. I'd love to buy one just to jam it out, but they cost a fortune as far as I can recall.
  • woodwood Regular
    edited July 2010
    Spook wrote: »
    Fretless bass is phat.

What kind of amp do you have ?
    I have an Ebony amp... Australian brand that they don't make anymore. Think Gallien-Krueger tone. Naturally I pair it up with a GK cab. Sounds good to me. I have an Ashdown backup as well which I don't mind, but I prefer the ebony.
  • PigPig Regular
    edited July 2010
    Guitar for two years, bass for one year, piano for twelve.

My guitar is a Schecter Omen 7-string, the bass is a low-budget Ibanez Soundgear, and the piano is a Kawaii.
  • MayberryMayberry Regular
    edited July 2010
    Played piano since forever. Have been playing on the same Yamaha grand for almost 10 years.

Had a crappy electric guitar for awhile, but never really played it. Thinking of learning flamenco guitar eventually.
  • LethargicaLethargica Regular
    edited July 2010
    DRUMS AND MORE DRUMS, i can play almost any type of drum out there even rudimental drumming(kevlar, bass, tenor drums)